Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

Thy Flesh Consumed skill level bumped up?

I am playing the last episode of Ultimate Doom, Thy Flesh Consumed on "Hurt Me Plenty" and using the "-fast" switch. Seems to me that the monsters are respawning like on Nightmare. Is that right?

No. There are quite a lot of monsters that teleport in on E4M1, and this might be confusing you.

E4 does have a significantly higher difficulty level than the first three episodes though. I'd suggest playing on HMP or UV with ordinary speed monsters before trying -fast. NM is only possible in E4 thanks to some remarkable tricks.

Ok thx for the info, yeah I was freaked by the number of monsters that was teleporting in from the area around the first slime pool. I am already on HMP, I tried without -fast, it was too easy but with -fast it's really tough on Thy Flesh Consumed. Guess I'll just have to keep at it.

Yeah thy flesh consumed can be pretty tought at times, specially on UV, but i've never tried it on -fast... I'll have to give that a try sometime, however i was decently pleased with myself after i cleared it on UV starting with only a pistol on every level, even though thy flesh consumed gets kind of a bad rap for not really being part of the doom story line, it's still one of my favorite episodes. Plus most of the level names are just cool.

Igor9 said:

I am already on HMP, I tried without -fast, it was too easy but with -fast it's really tough on Thy Flesh Consumed. Guess I'll just have to keep at it.

UV would be the natural one to start with. Some of the maps (e.g. E4M6) might be a real shitstorm on HMP -fast - I've never tried it though, so don't know for sure. You might like to check out the UV -fast, NM and NM100S movie runs for a few ideas.

Episode4 is like 2x harder than the original doom episodes. Ep4 is one of my favorites, I know it don't have a shit to do with the original story. But e4m6 is one of the best or maybe is the best doom level. However, ep4 can feel rushed kinda, e4m3 had way too much ammo(I know it was his first level), you could have shot all the monsters 3 times with the ammo on that map. I love ep4's style simply. :)
Wood and marble rules.

I like Thy Flesh Consumed better than Inferno, and almost better than The Shores of Hell. Inferno seemed way to incosistent to me. Has anyone else noticed that practically at least half of the levels seem like they were converted from old Episode 1 style levels? If all the levels had been like Slough of Dispair, Gate to Limbo, and Mt. Erebus it woulda been a lot better.

Anyway, yeah, weren't a lot of Thy Flesh Consumed levels made by PWAD makers like us. For example, I know level 4 was made by a PWAD maker. And has anyone else noticed that Fear is almost all Episode 1 style? To me, Thy Flesh Consumed has some the best and most innovative design I've ever seen. Plus, it shows just how difficult things can get with Doom 1.

Plus most of the level names are just cool.

Actually, all of the names are phrases that can be found in the Bible (the King James version, I think). (I'd put the thread up but I'm too lazy to do a search.) Plus they kinda form a poem.

The Flange Peddler said:

I think they're all done by id'ers.

The thread you linked to seems to contradict that, unless Shawn Green, Tim Willits, Theresa Chasar and John Anderson were id'ers. ;)

Clearly they did some work for id, but if that's what you mean, it's rather a circular argument.

E4 is indeed tough. When I finally beat it on UV (year or two ago) I thought I was sooooo cool. Then I tried beating them all from a pistol start which is pretty tough. E4M2 is probably one of the hardest levels in the set. E4M6 is really tough unless you know how to deal with the cyber, and then it becomes moderate.

Yeah, I always found the Invulnerability sphere, so I think I'll try it without that. Mmm, maybe without the BFG too. That oughta be fun/

If I want to spice up the difficulty slightly, as soon as I go over 100% health, I try and keep it that way. After I get at least 101% health, I treat 100% or less as dead.

This makes it tougher, because most health items will not add to your health (effectively reducing the available health in a level). (ie You can only get health from bottles and powerups.) It also means you have a 100% rather than a 200% margin for error.

The odd thing about Episode 4 is that I die about a thousand times in the first two missions, but everything after that is a cakewalk.

Yeah, M1 and M2 are probably the hardest. Try getting 100% kills on M1, now that's fun.

Twilight Descends is crazy cool. A fun pistol start.

Try getting 100% kills on M1, now that's fun.

Heh, I actually did that a few days ago when I beat The Ultimate Doom over again. I actually didn't have too much trouble, which shocked the Hell outta me. The trick is to hold on to your rockets and nail the NIN Barons with them when they're in groups.

Uh, what the Hell is Twilight Descends? That's not a Doom level . . .

Grimm said:

Uh, what the Hell is Twilight Descends? That's not a Doom level . . .

I don't know what motel you've been staying at, but it's one of the levels in Ultimate Doom.

No it's not.

1 HELL BENEATH
2 PERFECT HATRED
3 SEVER THE WICKED
4 UNRULY EVIL
5 THEY WILL REPENT
6 AGAINST THEE WICKEDLY
7 AND HELL FOLLOWED
8 UNTO THE CRUEL
9 FEAR

As far as I know, Twilight Descends is for PSX Doom or similar.

VolteFace said:

No it's not.
As far as I know, Twilight Descends is for PSX Doom or similar.

Fucking shit. The console has led me astray once again.

Wanna a real challenge? Try E4m1 in tyson style! But be warned: the best time in the Compet-N site is 50:56 and was recorded by one of the best Doom players IMO: Xit Vono. Now that´s really really hard...

As in 50 minutes and 56 seconds? Wow, either that person sucks or Hell Beneath is harder than I'd think Tyson style.

E4M1 Tyson is extraordinarily difficult. Very little health, no berserk, not many bullets around, and lots of barons to deal with all at the same time with little room to manoeuvre. Xit Vono's 50:56 was more than an hour and a half faster than the previous record, BTW.