Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Map 32 - Easy Breezy (DEMO)

I'm hard at work on my newest map. I decided to put a demo on the forums so you can see it as I work on it. Right now I have the first 2 sections done. It's an interesting map and it's not too difficult (Unlike some of my other maps) and I finally am doing some hard work on detail.

Click Here to download the map demo.

Be sure to post your comments on this topic! Thank You.

don't you already have a thread with this?. Or it is just me or something.

I think that was the one where I asked if my level needed detail. In this thread I'm just going to keep updating the wad and maybe telling a few things about it. It's the same wad, but each thread has its own purpose.

Not to sound hostile or anything, but why not just finish the map and then release it? I mean, asking for an opinon here and there is fine. But constant updates is a little ridiculous.

Yeah, like I said, add puddles. Also, one of those rooms has marble on the walls then it switches to some tech texture. That room should also have some detail around those outer walls. And brighten up that fountain.

Ok about the lighting in this level. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A "DARK" AND "STORMY" NIGHT. Not a bright and sunny day. But anyways all of those marble and tech walls are where new areas are going to be built on. So just think of those as "Under Construction" signs. I'm not going to brighten up the fountain because... how does a foundtain produce light hmm... I'm just trying to make it slightly realaistic! Anyways, that's all for now...

I've just played it and I like it so far. The atmosphere is pretty good, with the lightning flashes. I would make the sky cloudier, and an idea would be that somewhere a bolt of lightning would come down, breaking the ground and revealing a key or a powerup. I don't recommend the music, although it is eerie, it's too lively for my tastes. But I just got here so I wouldn't think anyone cares :)

Well that depends on your MIDI card. The music is PERFECT for the level on my computer so I think I'll leave it there. Oh and can anybody guess where that song is from?

SmellyOgre said:

The level is fun, but it does need some other music, it sounds like a circus!

Well, it's level 32.

It kinda sounds like a sonic level I remember. Can't put my finger on it.

The sky scrolls way too fast. And a dark grey cloudy sky would fit better, the current sky is too bright.

The surrounding walls look rather plain, you should add some more structure on them.

And the music is annoying. :P

Other than that it's fine, if a bit too easy.

Some of the lighting doesnt make any sense. Look at those pillars in the area with the DBS. At least two of them have light sectors wrapped around them in a way that looks unrealistic. They should be casting shadows.

Is the music from the gameboy version of Darkwing Duck? It is kind of annoying. Doesnt fit the map at all.

You guys must have different MIDI devices. I think the music fits well. Anyways about the lighting. This is my first time trying to put in lots of detail so I'm just trying to work things out. I'm going to get around to making a lot of corrections after I actually construct the map.

EDIT: Now to revealy what song it is. It is the song known as the Mystic Cave from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for SEGA Genesis!

I've updated the wad so I can see if everyone thinks my new sky texture is appropriate. If not I'll look for something else. Anyways, click on the old link to see the new sky.

SmellyOgre said:

this is doom not sonic btw.

i guess you must not be very happy about the two secret wolfenstein levels in doom 2 then, either.

I just played it. Pretty good map. A few things:

Yes the sky looks the same and is moving a wee bit fast. I instantly think of the dark blue cloudy sky from hexen whenever I hear the thunder, that would look better, don't know what sky you had planned though.

The texturing is a little bland. Lose the STARG textures on the outer walls in the second section. You could spice things up by adding vine trim or maybe a moat around the outer walls.

The music doesn't work. At all. I'm using the Silverspring soundfont so it ain't getting much better than that. All I can think of is Sonic2, and the map loses some seriousness. Maybe some creepy heretic music instead..

Otherwise it's fun, if not a little dark and plain at the moment. Inside the buildings the lighting should vary a little more, help offset the consistent gloom outdoors. Hope these suggestions help a little, keep mapping!

WHAT THE SKY DIDN'T CHANGE! Actually to tell you the truth I'm using a dark blue cloudy sky at the moment. 'SMACK' I know what happened. I updated the textures, but I forgot to update the MAPINFO. That's not right... oh well I'll do that now I guess. Now anyways I like my music, there's gotta be someone out there that likes it too... I mean c'mon it's a good song and I like the errieness to it. I suppose in a way it's good to be stubborn about this kinda thing. People all have different taste in music. And I like upbeat stuff like that music. IT STAYS! Now to update that file!

Now that I updated that files... about the STARG textures... those just mark places that are going to be built on to. I think it's a good Idea to leave them that way so I can remember the best places to build on. I've only begun this map so there's lots more to do. I'm only working on the outside right now! One MORE thing. I'll increase the lighting in the full building a bit, but as for the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, destroyed buildings, I think I'll leave them the way they are!

Thanks for the complements. And thank YOU Epyo for prooving my point that everybody has different taste in music. At least someone out there likes my song.

Update: I've added a HUGE new section to the map. It's called Secrutity Building 1. Check it out by downloading the updated file from the link at the top.