Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matrix007

Die? What the hell?

I was just asking a question. Do you think I'm a spy? I was just wondering what Doom 3 does that makes it look so much better.

Matrix007 said:

I was just asking a question. Do you think I'm a spy? I was just wondering what Doom 3 does that makes it look so much better.

All right, here's a bit of background info on topics like the one you posted:
We've had a lot of threads concerning Doom 3 vs "some-other-pretty-game" and I and a few other Mods have reached the conclusion that those threads are actually bad.

They're bad because they cause heated discussions between hardcore "Doom 3 fanatics" (those who are convinced that Doom 3 will be awesome) and the "not-so Doom 3 fanatics" (guys who believe that Doom 3 won't be anything special) - these discussions only end up causing hard feelings at it often boils down to personal grudges.

As a result, I seek to at least lock threads that try to spur such a discussion - it's nothing personal, I'm only doing it for the forum's own good. At least I'm trying.

Now this thread doesn't really belong here as it has nothing to do with Doom 3 itself, so I'll move it to Everything Else - but I'll supply you with a link so that you'll be able to find this thread. (I don't want you to start more off-topic threads whining about your threads getting deleted)

btw, if you want to know what it is that makes Doom 3 look so much better, ask in the Doom 3 tech forum, or at least make it more clear from your initial post.

Being a long-time Doom fan, I've mentally pictured Doom 3 as being some kind of landmark or extraordinarily special game. But now, I'm beginning to think that Doom 3's engine is far less impressive than it looked in February 2001. It was simply the first to showcase the industry's new hardware effects. Now it's just among the pack, and I disagree with the notion that it will be "revolutionary" to any significant degree.

So what's left to worry about, except the gameplay? Right? After hearing things such as "little exploration" and "straght shooter," I'm unfancied by that too. I think the right thing for me to do is avoid buying it when it comes out, and read reviews to find out if it's up my alley, which I'm not expecting it to be..

Matrix007 said:

I was just asking a question. Do you think I'm a spy?

No - as you're not really here, you're just plugged into DW from your endangered spaceship, running away from mechanical squids...

BBG said:

SPY!?
/me hits the alarm

WAA WAA WAA

I need to save the $$$, i'm trying to buy another rig to run D3 at a decent speed :P

I've only just discovered this situation but as DSM put it, in order to ensure control and balance conflict (or spam) has to be neutralized ASAP. Don't take it harshly. It's happening all the time (i'd imagine that we get at least 10 PH threads a week) but we're still cool about it. Just keep up the good work.

Why oh why didn't I just close the thread after giving explanations?