Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KDarigal

ESRB, aka "t3h 1d107 p47r0lz0rz"

i'll start off with the link here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=1&u=/nm/20030628/tc_nm/media_ratings_dc_1

anyone care to predict what the doom3 rating will end up as? i say "mature/15, fantasy violence" or so, but that's probably just wishful thinking (that the 75% or so of fps players who are between 15 and 18 will be able to buy it without fake id).

why do they need to bother rating games anyway? it's not like it's not obvious how violent a game is judging by the shots on the back of the box

you know, i just had an amusing idea - a contest to create a fake esrb label for the forums, like "mature/8 - intense stupidity, fantasy drama, and frequent headshots" or something like that.

on second thought, after typing all that out, it sounds really dumb.

never mind

Dingus Khan said:

I think Doom 3's rating will be "sexual violence".

What? Will there be any impse in Doom3?

of course, but it'll be obviosly fake, they wont even show it going in..

Oh well, game ratings have never meant anything, i jurt get my parents to buy it (i had GTA when i was 11, oh no, i was stealing scanned-in toy cars from people that looked and acted more like ants XD), but im 19 now do dont need to worry

deathbringer said:

of course, but it'll be obviosly fake, they wont even show it going in..

Oh well, game ratings have never meant anything, i jurt get my parents to buy it (i had GTA when i was 11, oh no, i was stealing scanned-in toy cars from people that looked and acted more like ants XD), but im 19 now do dont need to worry

Uh, GTA was released in 1997, so if you're 19 now then you couldn't have been 11 when it was released.

11? shit, why did i type that? XD, well, i was too young to be stealing toy cars from ants anyway XD

Taken from id and the ESRB themselves:

ESRB Warning,

The ESRB has rated this Game Mature, containing strong violence, suggestive and gratuitous language, and containing explicit acts of imp sexual encounters and gratuitous Imp Nudity.

None of this matters with me being 18, but really what's the point of this. Do we really *need* anything beyond mature? They have to give you an explanation for why you cant buy it if you're underaged? Or is this something to make the gamemakers look bad? I dont understand the point here.

I cant really even think of many games that would have a "sexual violence" label. I think PWW said there was a game called "Chamber" where you tortued the shit out of people and you could rape them. but it was an old 8 color computer game and was there before ratings. Are there any more that would apply to that rating? I'm curious.

Dingus Khan said:

Are there any more that would apply to that rating? I'm curious.

Yes. You just dont hear about them, because they're not advertised. But you'd be surprised what kind of games are out there.

meh i dont care what the rating is, cuz by the time doom 3 IS released ill be 18, old enough to buy it regardless of rating. (im 17 now, and my bday is november 26)

Dingus Khan said:
[B}
I cant really even think of many games that would have a "sexual violence" label. I think PWW said there was a game called "Chamber" where you tortued the shit out of people and you could rape them. but it was an old 8 color computer game and was there before ratings. Are there any more that would apply to that rating? I'm curious. [/B]

i don't really remember what the name of it is. it's probably not 'chamber'. if someone knows, please tell me to ease my mental anguish.