Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dis

Impressionable Newbie

Hi. I know nothing about doomworld except that it's about one of my fravorite games of all time. I'd like to do the whole extra level thing, download the levels or things people have made but have no clue how to do it yet. I'm currently trying to find out what versions of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 I have, but I have them both. So.. if someone would like to rip my virgin hymen open to this world of cool doom stuff, please do.

4 things:

1.) Doomworld is my fravorite game too.

2.) For level/stuff downloads check /newstuff every week around Sunday-Mondayish, depending.

3.) Nice analogy with the hymen thing. I'm sure Nanami will be enamored with you.

4.) Heh.

Welcome to Doomworld! :D
::waves::
For downloading levels or Wads ect.. You can always check out The Idgames Archive or if there is a certain wad you are looking for you could try DoomSearch to try and locate it, and make sure to keep an eye out on the /Newstuff Chronicles, Newstuff comes in Weekly (Usualy Sundays, though there may be some complications sometimes and be a delay). :D
Enjoy your stay. :D

You're using the DK symbol, hence, I like you, so I'm gonna try and help you out here. When starting up doom or doom 2 on the little pre-loading screen where it says things like 'init daemon' and such, look at the top and you should be able to see what versions of doom you have. That's the easiest way I know how to figure that out, then when you know that go here
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/patches.php

and find the patches you need, it's decently straight forward. Then just go and download any levels you want, newstuff is a nice place to find them, usually there's loading instructions with the level in its readme file. You might also want to check out some source ports such as zdoom, jdoom, legacy, or edge, they'll help to bring doom up to some of todays standards, such as mouselook, high resolution etc. But if you prefer to play using standard doom2.exe, that's just fine too. Anyways, I think that's about all you need to know right now, so enjoy dooming.

hehe....hymen

Cool, what warm introductions. I always expect the worse, I'm usually pleasently suprised (i.e. - right now). If I could get a link to Doomworld the game.. that'd be great, cause from there I could just explore or whatever.

Thanks. Dammit, I was going to say something and I TOTALLY forgot... pisses me off...

Dis said:

Hi. I know nothing about doomworld except that it's about one of my fravorite games of all time. I'd like to do the whole extra level thing, download the levels or things people have made but have no clue how to do it yet. I'm currently trying to find out what versions of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 I have, but I have them both. So.. if someone would like to rip my virgin hymen open to this world of cool doom stuff, please do.

You have Ultimate DooM v 1.9 (as it's the only version you can get) and you'll probably have DooM 2 v 1.666 (as that's the commercial version). The link in Jello's post will get you the patch to upgrade DooM 2 to v 1.9 (the latest version) and you can then start playing (and you can use source ports if you want).

Look around on the forums for various 'best wad ever' threads and also on people's sigs (the stuff at the bottom of people's posts) as these sometimes contain links to their own wads or favourite wads.

DOOM Anomaly said:

if there is a certain wad you are looking for you could try DoomSearch

No he can't, because it isn't working ATM.

NiGHTMARE said:

No he can't, because it isn't working ATM.

Really? Oh, I'm sorry about that, I wasn't aware of it being down.

Alright, I'm getting this stuff in a really slow fashion so could someone please tell me what the hell this is >>>>> http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars/ ? I'm trying to download zdoom and when I click on the link to it, I get this.. does this mean I have to download everything on this page?

The one to get is the one with the highest number. Right now, that is 47.cab, and it contains all the files you need.

The other files are of more interest for developers who want to see the source and to know what has changed between versions.

mmmkay, hopefully this is the last stupid question I have to ask. I have zdoom downloaded and I'm trying to play certain .wad's but I don't know how..

just use command line,

c:\doom\zdoom.exe -file mywad.wad

I win I win I win! btw you can have zdoom in any folder, we were just giving examples.

right, I get that.. but.. man.. when I play zdoom, I have no place to go to "file"... I basically just get a lower resolution version of doom.. what am I doing wrong? I really wish I had step-by-step directions because nothing seems to work. I dunno, if you guys can't help me that's fine, but what you're saying isn't possible for me for some reason.

Oh my gosh, Doomworld is my favorite game too!

And yeah, what Job said in number 3. Right...

Dis said:

right, I get that.. but.. man.. when I play zdoom, I have no place to go to "file"... I basically just get a lower resolution version of doom.. what am I doing wrong? I really wish I had step-by-step directions because nothing seems to work. I dunno, if you guys can't help me that's fine, but what you're saying isn't possible for me for some reason.

Um, LOWER resolution version? Yeah, you MUST have done something wrong! Be sure to go into the graphics menu and change to a better resolution.

Now, since you apparantly know very little about computers in general, here's a step by step guide for you. It assumes your using Windows, if you aren't I can't help you.

Step 1) Do not click on the ZDoom icon. Instead, go to the Start Menu and then go to Run. You'll see a box in which you can type a filename.

Step 2) Figure out where you put Doom. I put it in C:\Doom2, so I'd type C:\Doom2\zdoom in the Run window.

Step 3) Find a WAD you'd like to play and type, after what you typed above, -file nameofwad.wad

All in all, you type C:\doom2\zdoom -file nameofwad.wad, which is what everyone has been trying to tell you this whole time.

Alright... when I type this into the Run box "C:\Program Files\Ultimate Doom for Windows 95\zdoom.exe" ... quotes included.. that low-resolution version of doom pops up. When I type this into the Run box.. C:\Program Files\Ultimate Doom for Windows 95\zdoom.exe ..with no quotes.. my computer doesn't know where "C:\Program" is.. when I type this into the Run box... C:\Program Files\Ultimate Doom for Windows 95\zdoom.exe -file vile_dead.wad ...it doesn't know where the whole thing is. When I add quotes it still doesn't know where it is. And I double checked many times to make sure those are legitimate locations, which they are.

Plus, when I get the low-res doom game, there's no where to search for the file within that either. Just play doom. That's all you can do.. only it's crappy. Nobody must help me, I appreciate it when people attempt, but I'm doing exactly what people are saying and it's still not working. *shrugs* I'd love to play it if I could.

Yeah, I just did it with Doom 2, and made it so my location matched yours perfectly and it still didn't work... you know just in case it was my location that was the problem. But I did exactly what would work for you and it didn't for me.. is there a possibility I could be missing something?

Kirsten925 said:

i am new here too lol no point makin a new thread tho

Welcome, check BBGs post above for useful info.

Unfortunently ZDoom IS a lower resolution version of Doom. But it does have Cool Shit (tm), so it's a trade off. Apparently ZDoomGL is prettier, but I don't know much about that. Or about why being in Open GL makes it prettier.

Anyway go to jdoom.newdoom.com (newdoom is an evil Doom site, in case you didn't know) and go to Lastest Releases, and download Doomsday 1.7.10. This contains jDoom, which is a VERY good looking port of Doom. It also allows high-resolution textures. These are big, though, and you'll probably want to do it overnight. 10 hours for the 180 meg main download over 56k. Worth it, though, especially since most of the crappier ones have been redone (though the WOOD and GST ones still need some work). jDoom technically supports high resolution everything (including sprites), but textures are the only things that have gotten done. Apparently jDoom is also possible of Neat Shit (tm), though I wouldn't really know becuase I have found a grand total of ONE (!) jDoom specific WAD, not counting the demo WAD. jDoom comes with Kickstart, which is a really neat launcher which should make things easier for you.

Grimm said:

Unfortunently ZDoom IS a lower resolution version of Doom.

This is completely untrue - Zdoom is capable of extremely high resolutions. I presume you mean that it retains the blockiness of the original's graphics (when seen close up), rather than smoothing them out. (I'm no zdoom zealot, BTW, I generally use GLBoom myself.)

Anyway, diverting this thread into a port vs port argument is not going to help solve Dis's problem - which is to get a port working on his computer.

Dis: Do you have the following files in your C:\Doom2 folder?
zdoom.exe
zdoom.wad
fmod.dll
doom2.wad
and the additional wad you want to play.

If so, in Windows Explorer try dragging and dropping the additional wad onto zdoom.exe. As far as I know, this should always work. There are plenty of other ways to launch Zdoom with pwads, but maybe more things can go wrong with them if you get the syntax wrong.

[Well, OK, some things can still go wrong - zdoom might crash due to some problem with the pwad, or the pwad might be one that needs doom.wad rather than doom2.wad, in which case you need to have that as well, and select it when zdoom offers you a choice.]

Grimm said:

Unfortunently ZDoom IS a lower resolution version of Doom.

Original doom resolution 320x200

Zdoom on my system 19 different resolutions from 320x200 to 1600x1024

For loading wads, and other stuff, you might want to try a launcher. There is a new version of "Unleashed" which seems to be a very comprehensive zdoom specific launcher.

http://www.martin2k.co.uk/vb6/exes/unleashed.php