Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deldelda

I wanna know if any editors out there are like this:

REAL easy, like the Heroes of Might and Magic level editor, where you'd just start out with a blank canvas, and just drag stuff. You'd be able to place walls, edit lighting (on a scale of 1-100 for a certain group of pixels or have a light source with auto-shading), even delays for switches, speeds that doors open, pass-over-this-space-and-something-will-happen features, slants, stairs, water, enemies, more than three keys 0_o, ceilings, music, just make an easy editor for people who know nothing about programing (except maybe HTML, in my case). I can't download any editors to find out for myself because I have AOL ... can you say PHONE MODEM!?!?!?

And yes, I do feel funny talking about Heroes in a Doom crowd ;).

You can't just write an editor that will do most of that stuff... it's all part of the Doom engine, and the Doom engine doesn't support much of that stuff. Perhaps someday one of the ports will. If you want all that stuff, something like Quake might be better suited. The only problem is that Quake editors are much more advanced than any Doom editor, so that's a step in the wrong direction.

And despite the general crappiness of modems and AOL, you can still download editors. They're generally pretty tiny.

deldelda said:

REAL easy, like the Heroes of Might and Magic level editor, where you'd just start out with a blank canvas, and just drag stuff. You'd be able to place walls, edit lighting (on a scale of 1-100 for a certain group of pixels or have a light source with auto-shading), even delays for switches, speeds that doors open, pass-over-this-space-and-something-will-happen features, slants, stairs, water, enemies, more than three keys 0_o, ceilings, music, just make an easy editor for people who know nothing about programing (except maybe HTML, in my case). I can't download any editors to find out for myself because I have AOL ... can you say PHONE MODEM!?!?!?

And yes, I do feel funny talking about Heroes in a Doom crowd ;).

What?

You don't need to know programming to make Doom levels.

Uh, first off, you can't just make a good make like that. You have learn how to use the editor. Deepsea is a good editor i think it can do most of the stuff you want to do but not all. You have to make the shadows yourself too but it's a good editor. Click on the utilities link on my signature and find deepsea there. You could also try wadauthor, ive never used it but alot of people do. Hope you find what your looking for.

Most of the things you named are port-specific features that have nothing to do with what editor you use (except for of course whether or not the editor allows you to use said features or not).

Heh, it sounds to me like you want the BUILD editor, which lets you edit either in a 2D grid mode or 3D mode where you can place and manipulate things and get an idea of the results in real time. Once you get used to it, it's not bad (but of course buggy).

But then, that's for duke, and not doom, so I guess you're S.O.L.

I think he's thinking more along the lines of the total anniahlation map editor where you just drag stuff from a set of premade tiles onto a map, only he wants to drag in blocks and shit to make walls..and the overall response to wanting a doom editor that works like that is: heh

Heh, it would be hard to make such a level editor. Serious, I think you should try out a few level editors, it isn't that hard. Try search for "wad designers handbook", a good doc about wad editing. :)

deldelda said:
REAL easy, like the Heroes of Might and Magic level editor, where you'd just start out with a blank canvas, and just drag stuff. You'd be able to place walls, edit lighting (on a scale of 1-100 for a certain group of pixels [snip]

There are no default Doom prefabs you can drag and drop into place. All structures are made on the spot, from scratch. But, it is possible to make your own prefabs in the editor Deepsea (either make them yourself, or copy from existing levels) and create levels by copy and pasting those prefabs.

That said, it is NOT hard to learn how to edit Doom levels properly. Most level editors come with a good manual, or even build-in tutorials, plus there are many faq's and guides available online.

And not even EDGE supports some of the features he wants, like "making new keys" XD, alough it has like 20 built in keys (4 cards, 4 skulls, the 3 wolfenstien keys and a bunch of 'elemental' ones)

deathbringer said:

And not even EDGE supports some of the features he wants, like "making new keys" XD, alough it has like 20 built in keys (4 cards, 4 skulls, the 3 wolfenstien keys and a bunch of 'elemental' ones)

You can make new keys as long as you have scripting. Set a pickup item that triggers a variable like "haspinkkey" and then let the door open only if you have the key. It's been done in ZDoom plenty of times.

The most sadistic level ever created for any game... uses all 20 of those keys. Mwe heh heh.

deldelda said:

so ... which one is easier to use, DeePsea or WadAuthor?

I would say wad author, but I also use wad author. Try both. There is no such thing as the "best editor". They are all different. I just prefer Wad author.