Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

1M RPM gun..

WasteOfMoney++

And why is such old news making such a big splash all of the sudden? Have we run out of wars?

BBG said:

/me buys 5 and sets up a defensive perimiter around his house

Jesus Christ, what are you defending against? Godzilla?

Assmaster said:

Jesus Christ, what are you defending against? Godzilla?

That and people that I may dislike :-P

Heh "$1000 of taxpayers money we spent on bullets gone in a single minute!"
"But did we actually hit anything?"
"Er, i thought i saw some movement by those rocks..."

What the fuck could you use for barrle materials that could take that kind of wear and tear, I mean million rounds per minute holly fuck, u'd be changing barrles every like .05 seconds

Tyockell said:

What the fuck could you use for barrle materials that could take that kind of wear and tear, I mean million rounds per minute holly fuck, u'd be changing barrles every like .05 seconds

As long as the barrels dissipate heat quickly should be fine. I assume the bullets still spiral out as with a normal barrel.

Wuzzis, that metal storm thing?
/me clicks link
Ah, yes... I love this thing. For those of you who doubt its usefulness, just think of this: Take a normal assault rifle, fire and sweep it quickly to the right. Between where you started and where you finished, you probably have your bulletholes spaced a foot or two apart. Take something that is firing as fast as Metal Storm and do the same, you might just have a smooth stream of bulletholes, not to mention absolute shredding of the wall you hit. The most obvious application here is against FAST moving targets. You can just start laying down fire in front of where you expect the thing to move and wait for it to move there, and you will certainly hit it. Oh, and don't forget this from that page: "shred a target in a blink of an eye, or throw up a defensive wall against an incoming missile." The latter is especially important, I'd say.

For those of you who are concerned about barrel erosion, uh, no. They aren't all used simultaneously, so each barrel is operating at an acceptable rate of fire. (I'm not speculating, it was on Discovery a year or so ago.) No moving parts -- the barrels allow bullets to chamber based on some sort of heat-compression/expansion system that dilates the barrel long enough for a round to feed, then contracts again until it's ready to take another round.

I imagine some new research in magnetics and superconductors will allow introduction of railgun principles into this sort of design, allowing complete disregard for barrel erosion. Imagine a barrel that lets a bullet pass through it with a few millimeters of padding between the surface of the bullet and the inside of the barrel. Schveet, eh?

As we progress into this sort of technology, something that has been with us since the beginning of ballistics technology will start to fade a little: Firing discipline. With a normal assault rifle, you don't wanna just hold the trigger down and sweep it around because you probably won't hit anything. With Metal Storm, you can, but because of this people will probably forget to consider ammunition. Like deathbringer said in a previous post, "$1000 of taxpayers money we spent on bullets gone in a single minute!" I think that estimate might be a little conservative, though... unfortunately...

Damn.... convert this to 30mm depleted uranium rounds and you would shred the shit out of any armored vehicle.

Tyockell said:

Damn.... convert this to 30mm depleted uranium rounds and you would shred the shit out of any armored vehicle.

Nuh uh. Think depleted uranium buckshot. Literally a wall of metal... an EXPANDING wall of metal. Probably great for killing rabbits... if you aren't planning to eat them.

EDIT: Perfect for heavy anti-personnell AND anti-vehicle use.

Some letter in front of my building says....

This building lacks security

With that gun that problem should be solved :D

Disorder said:

I want to see a demovideo.

Me 2

I come in peace, but if evil should persist, I will be forced to defend myself. (Unfortunately, this requires more discipline than most people choose to exercise.)

ooo gimmie!

if these things ever get to the black market, the next school shooting ought to be interesting...*

*yes, i know this is a sick joke, but i'm just sick overall. hell, play my first map and see for yourself :)

School shootings aren't carried out by the sort that gets their weapons on the black market, usually. They usually take daddy's gun and bring it.

Ultraviolet said:

School shootings aren't carried out by the sort that gets their weapons on the black market, usually. They usually take daddy's gun and bring it.

once again, somebody crushes my fantasies... :P

Erm. Yeah. This shit is old. Since it was made in good old australia that's why i've heard of this thing before. And as it was already stated, the barrel wouldn't heat...or at least I don't think so, as it uses magnets (I think it said that) to deliver the bullets.

Ultraviolet said:

Nuh uh. Think depleted uranium buckshot. Literally a wall of metal... an EXPANDING wall of metal. Probably great for killing rabbits... if you aren't planning to eat them.

EDIT: Perfect for heavy anti-personnell AND anti-vehicle use.

Yea that would fuck some shit up, there must be a reason why there not producing much more then standard steal shot and the likes for shotguns though, hmm if you have any info on teflon coated buckshot It'd be of an interest to me.

Ultraviolet said:

Yea kids dont really bring much weapons bought on the black market for school shootings for one they usually just flip and then gun is handy and there right away and second, there extremly exspensive if I were to buy a .38 here not even a snub nose it would probably run me about $850-1200 canadian and I dont feel like spending that kind of money right now.

Lord FlatHead said:

10 grenades a second. Fuck.

Better yet, those "10mm caseless light armor piercing explosive rounds" from Aliens. Just as good.

Good ol ApHe rounds lol... hmmm I wonder if they make them in .303 calibre, The metal jacket rounds are getting boreing.