Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Return of a Classic

Jan Van der Veken writes in that he has released the next level in the Classic series (only after a few years' gap) called Classic 10 - Mercurius Pools, and you can get it here.

My plan is to release a 3 level mini episode later on, and release it as Classic Trilogy or something. I decided to release this level ahead, just in case the other two don't get done ;)

sets the bar for all other releases to be judged against.
(of course, I am referring to the time until release date :)

seriously though, this is very unexpected and very cool!

Indeed, it is a very, very nice looking and playing map. Very "classic" indeed.

My only gripe is that you seem to have to find a secret to get to the exit (although it's pretty obvious). At least I did both times I played. Maybe I took a short cut or something by finding the secret, I dunno, because I didn't find all the monsters either time I played.

Awesome level, great design, feels very 'classic', but I do have one gripe, the cyberdemon. It just seems really out of place in this level. If it was my level I'd probably get rid of it, but its still a great level even with it in there. I just think the cyber is extremely out of place.

hm, I finished it without the secret then, didn't encounter a cyberdemon. Fantastic level

I just knew people were gonna gripe about the cyber ;-) Thing is, I put it in more for shock value than anything else. If you're a bit clever it is easy to kill ... if you're more clever, you don't have to kill it at all. (unless you're obsessive about getting a 100% kill score of course)

Jan

A very good map, especially I like how all the space is used. The cyberdemon was a bit odd to see here, but it isn't a big deal. And there's some marble ceiling textures, near the exit, that probably shouldn't be there.

Well if it makes you guys happy, I'll put up a version without a cyberdemon when I get home tonight.

Re the marble textures: I suppose you mean the ceiling textures in the brown1 area near the teleporter? That's not marble .. but floor7_2 ... sort of a slimey gooey texture. I think it looks nice in combination with brown1, and use it in quite a few other places as well.

janvknn said:

I just knew people were gonna gripe about the cyber ;-) Thing is, I put it in more for shock value than anything else. If you're a bit clever it is easy to kill ... if you're more clever, you don't have to kill it at all. (unless you're obsessive about getting a 100% kill score of course)

Jan

Hey, I got one of your (travers dunne's too I have been told) maps from Nick "nightmare" Baker. It is uncomplete atm, but very nice. Am I allowed to base one of my episode4 levels on this one?. :)

I think most of the map will be saved, and it will be finished of couse too. :)
You will of couse be credited if you allow me to do that.

Torn: I'm inclined to say yes, because it's better that whatever material is out there gets released instead of gathering dust on someone's HD. But before I give you a definitive yes, can you mail the level in question to me? Just so I can rule out it's not one of the other 2 levels of the classic mini episode ;)

You can send it to janvkn "at" yahoo.com

Jan

Hey Jan, while we're on the subject of your unfinished levels, i've still got an old Darkening E2 map of yours (from before the actual E2 textures were made). If you haven't got it anymore and want it, let me know :)

Nitemare: sure send it over :-) Nostalgia is cool

Incredible map, Jan. One of the few maps I feel like playing without cheats.

Jan, glad to see you released the level although this complicates the release of my "project". I thought you granted me the level, although it's your property so I am not upset.

Anthony Soto
neworderdatabase (at) hotmail

Okay, you all have got me interested...

Jan: No real need to release a cyberdemon-less wad... maybe just one with the cyber out of level 1/2?

EDIT: Crap... for Doom 1 only. I've misplaced that disc...

Swedish Fish said:

Jan, glad to see you released the level although this complicates the release of my "project". I thought you granted me the level, although it's your property so I am not upset.

Anthony Soto
neworderdatabase (at) hotmail

Anthony, I kinda thought that project was dead ... so when I got the editing fever again a few weeks ago, and miraculously managed to finish this level, I decided to release it. I'm sorry to hear it complicates your project. Anyway, I still don't mind if you use your "alternate" version of this level in your upcoming project. You just won't have exclusivity :-)

Jan