Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

strange things you've noticed in the game?

This may have been posted before, but...

In Doom II, the backgrund scenery for level 16 looks like a normal city. However, if you reached the level after completing the secret level 32, the scnery looks like hell instead.

In Final Doom: Plutonia, level 28, near the start of the level, there is a square that if you walk onto it, you would get a BFG9000 that you can't see, not even with iddtiddt.

It may be invisible; in Doom, if an object is set to invisible status, it doesn't appear on the map.

Any other oddities? Of course, they could be bugs...

The sky problem is a bug, but the BFG9000 in map 28 is not. I think that's the map where they use a second player 1 start, which causes a non-moving duplicate of yourself to appear. If it gets hit, then you're the one who takes the damage. If the duplicate (also called dummy players, voodoo dolls, etc.) picks up an item, then you obtain that item. And if you happen to telefrag the duplicate...well, it's not pretty.

A strange thing I've noticed in Doom is that the level design makes little to no sense, yet the levels still kick ass.

Yes, voodoo dolls are pretty cool. Legacy gets rid of them though, so in that map you can't get the BFG.

I think there's another map in Plutonia where you can get a gun you don't see. In TNT MAP30 if you go the wrong way it teleports you into a voodoo doll of yourself so you instantly die.

Using Boom features you can get voodoo dolls to do a lot.

ixfd64 said:

This may have been posted before, but...

Try this thread for a start. (But don't bump it though; it's too old for that.)

i put a duplicate on a zombie and when i shot him it hurt me, but i got to 0 health and was still alive so was the zombie, neither of us could die. It's a fun trick.

i could never figure out how to get to the room with the bfg in the beginning of that level with the mancubuses on the pedistals and arachnotrons behind the wall in doom 2. . . ive noticed that.

Nanami said:

That's odd. Usually if your clone dies, so do you. And 0 health is death.

Well, i used deepsea and that does some weird stuff.

Goat said:

i could never figure out how to get to the room with the bfg in the beginning of that level with the mancubuses on the pedistals and arachnotrons behind the wall in doom 2. . . ive noticed that.

You're talking about level 7, right? That's supposodly only a deathmatch area. I think that's BS, and I go and get it anyway with IDCLIP.

Kinda wondered how that weapons cache trick at the start of plutonia map06 worked (walking under the skull cube) and I see it's that voodoo doll trick. The only item placed there to begin with is the plasma rifle, the other weapons are elsewhere.

netnomad312 said:

I think that's BS, and I go and get it anyway with IDCLIP.

Like any good player needs a BFG that early in the game. Besides there's one in map08, no need to cheat. ;P

SmellyOgre said:

Well, i used deepsea and that does some weird stuff.

DeePsea has no effect on how voodoo dolls work.

SmellyOgre said:

but i got to 0 health and was still alive so was the zombie, neither of us could die.

Presumably the voodoo doll still had some health, but your health had reached zero as a result of the damage the voodoo doll had taken. In that case you become a zombie. I've recorded a couple of demos where this happened.

in the last level in Doom2, the on ewhere the skull shoots the boxes at you and you have to fire rockets into his exposed brain, if you use iddt to see all map, there will be a wall to the bottom-right of the level that is out-of-game-bounds. I used idclip to walk to it, and it is brick. Or is it green slime, like the rest of the level? I can't remember, and Doom 2 was on my old computer, so I can't check. And if you ask why I don't install it on the new one, well, I got a little bored with it. Except for that Eternal Doom by TeamTnT, that was hella funz.

Thats unusual, i checked out that extra room in icon of sin. There was nothing there, and i think it's a wall, not a room.

Look at map11 in an editor and you'll see a MP only bulk cell in the middle of nowhere (south of the blue key). Most likely an oversight, like the map30 linedef.

Goat said:

Like netnomad312 said, it's a deathmatch only area. But if you put Commander Keen in the level and kill him, it will open up.

deldelda said:

in the last level in Doom2, the on ewhere the skull shoots the boxes at you and you have to fire rockets into his exposed brain, if you use iddt to see all map, there will be a wall to the bottom-right of the level that is out-of-game-bounds. I used idclip to walk to it, and it is brick. Or is it green slime, like the rest of the level? I can't remember, and Doom 2 was on my old computer, so I can't check. And if you ask why I don't install it on the new one, well, I got a little bored with it. Except for that Eternal Doom by TeamTnT, that was hella funz.

I noticed that too.

Nanami said:

That's odd. Usually if your clone dies, so do you. And 0 health is death.

I think maybe armour has something to do with it. Sometimes the doll can die but you are left running around like a ghost with no weapon.

It was probably going to be a room but they forgot to delete that line and the sector stayed.

Grazza said:

Presumably the voodoo doll still had some health, but your health had reached zero as a result of the damage the voodoo doll had taken. In that case you become a zombie. I've recorded a couple of demos where this happened.

Lee Killough covered it on his site, now at http://www.rome.ro/lee_killough/. See DOOM Memorabilia/Death.

On the last level of doomII if you use the idclip cheat and walk into the platform the skull is under youll pop up on it then if you walk into the skull youll be inside of where you need to shoot the rockets into and theres someones face impaled on a rod anyone know whos face that is?

Yardman said:

On the last level of doomII if you use the idclip cheat and walk into the platform the skull is under youll pop up on it then if you walk into the skull youll be inside of where you need to shoot the rockets into and theres someones face impaled on a rod anyone know whos face that is?

heh, that is John Romero. If you open up wintex/xwe/whatever, and find the sound called dsbossit (iirc) and play it backwards, it says "To win the game, you must kill me, john romero."

yeah voodoo dolls and damage have odd behaviors. i believe it is that if you take damage via the voodoo doll (ie he gets shot or whatever) and then you get killed without the voodoo doll getting hurt, via monsters or slime etc then you become a zombie. as a zombie you can still walk around and trigger lines and switches, however you don't have any weapons and monsters don't take any notice of you (since you have <= 0 health).

don't quote me on that tho, Lee's page would be the definitive source for this sort of thing as he was quite knowledgable in all the areas of the wacky world of doom bugs

i just remembered playing Hexen for the N64 (great game may I add) and I was playing in one of the later levels, and I was walking (by use of the no-clip code) my way out of the level, for fun you know, and into the dark beyond, when I see some walls in the distance. It was a maze or something, the walls spelled out "Hexen". I can't remember much, like the level or any of that, just that it's WAAAAY out there and took forever-and-a-half to get to.

Cyb said:

don't quote me on that tho, Lee's page would be the definitive source for this sort of thing as he was quite knowledgable in all the areas of the wacky world of doom bugs

Yes, the text in this file (the one Never_Again was referring to) explains it in some detail. Monsters that haven't already been awoken ignore zombie players (as long as you don't pick up some health), but ones that are already aware of the player continue their pursuit.

The first sentence of the text strikes me as odd though:

When the total health of a Doom marine and at least one voodoo doll (duplicate) is less than 100%, then the marine into a zombie when he is killed.

So what happens if 11 different voodoo dolls all lose 10% of health?

Demons biting each other has to be the strangest thing in all of DOOM, because there is no explanation for it in the source code. It must be a bug of some kind where the creature's target pointer value is getting overwritten.

The common explanation of demons biting to the side when their target is partially invisible is not correct. Even if the demon turns to the side, it still damages its target *directly* with a call to P_DamageMobj. He doesn't fire a short tracer that could possibly hit another demon, or anything of that sort. Its a mystery to me.

I noticed that in the GBA doomII the demons attacking each other must have been fixed it dosent happen anymore...(gba doomII is very good too)EDIT well... in tricks and traps the Barons and the cybie fight. normals monsters dont seem too