Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

The Best Bug in the History of Bugs

One of the message icons should be "LOLOLOL"

Anyway, I had to share this wonderful story with everyone:

Well, I was working on a weapon. I made a second chainsaw that replaced the fist, and I had to bum some sounds off of some monsters. Since the mod I'm working on won't have any monsters it's no problem. I stole the mancubus attack sound and the arch-vile attack sound and put codepointers to "play this sound" when I needed them, and then used SNDINFO to make those sounds actually play chainsaw sounds.

Anyway, it works great. It took a lot of work but it's practically just like the original but faster (stronger). And then I started to noticed something weird.

It took me a while to pinpoint it, but I found out that the chainsaw itself is actually getting mad at monsters! I summoned an imp and let him shoot me, and then killed him. I found out that if I'm shot by a monster, the chainsaw gets mad at it.

Seriously, if I bring out the chainsaw (after being hit by a monster) the screen repeatedly jerks toward the monster, facing him, presumably so I can attack it. Even if it's dead. If I change to another weapon nothing happens, so it HAS to be the codepointers I used and the CHAINSAW is actually targeting the monsters.

I reported this quite entertaining bug on the ZDoom phorums in hopes Randy will get it fixed.

Sweeeeet!
Don't fix it!
You have created a possesed chainsaw...maybe it was fate, maybe its an act of God(hah!). Maybe you made a demonic version of the feeble human chainsaw! It's to cool to destroy.

Dum Dum Dum Dum... KILLER CHAINSAW. Oh wait. :P

Pretty cool, you should keep it in somewhere.

"It wasnt me officer, the chainsaw made me do it!"
"Course it did son, come along"
Chainsaw: "BWAHAHHAHA!"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kinda weird it goes after dead monsters too, but if it goes after live monsters, its like it has some sort of monster radar, a magical chainsaw that KNOWS its prey... could come in quite handy.

heh, reminds me of that x-files episode, where people get push to kill themselfs. Damn, I want to see that chainsaw.

For me, it brings to mind that great scene in The Evil Dead, except that there the hand was possessed, and the chainsaw provided a temporary solution.

I wonder if you could do something similar with the berserk fist?

Run! The chainsaw has a mind of its own!111111111

Torn said:

Damn, I want to see that chainsaw.

Well it's in ZooM, and ZooM is public until we get out a demo. However, right now it's hosted on a DSL connection so if I posted it here I imagine too many people would get it at once and my provider would be a little annoyed.

Manc's webserver will be up again tomorrow (hopefully), so I'll upload it to Mancunet and post the URL so you can all see the posessed chainsaw for yourself.

Not to double post or anything but I got it fixed.

With Quasar's help I figured out which pointers are ONLY for playing a sound (it turns out the Mancubus sound I was using had a FaceTarget part hidden in it) and changed the pointers I was using. No more posessed chainsaw. =)

Awww :(

I really liked that idea. Perhaps it didn't fit here, but it would be cool if someone could use that concept in a project.

Haha, this is better than when I gave the imp fireball the railgun pointer, causing it to "get mad" and fire a stream of rail shots at the imp that spawned it.

You could make a posessed gun and then write messages on the screen from time to time... as if there's some sort of spirit in the gun talking to you. Just a thought.

I don't know why but this reminds me of this one time I got two mancubi to fight each other by accident and a few barrels...

Two Words:

Stormbringer mod.

Stormbringer is the big soul-drinking runeblade of Elric of Melniboné that has a mind of its own and seeks out beings to feed upon on its own, be it friend or foe.

And Elric fancies that the blade speaks to him.

Heh, another Elric fan. I guess that explains why you chose the name "Arioch".

Lords of Chaos
==============
Arioch aid me in my time of need, I promise that my sword shall feed, with your help I'll finally rest. The Dukes of Hell, they come, Arioch help me or my life is done.

I am here, what dost thou wishest?

How about taking a live monster in hand that claws at the enemy monsters and tries to catch the ones that hit us?

If I still have it I will. I've fixed it since then and I may have overwritten.

Anyway, I know what happened now so I could probably very quickly make all the guns in Doom posessed.