Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
david_a

T3 *SPOILERS*

I ended up seeing it yesterday, although I hadn't planned on it.

It's OK, not horrible but not great either. Be warned that it's almost a comedy with all the one-liners they force Arnie to say. The FX are a bit too CG at times, but not horrible I guess. I didn't have a problem with Ms Loken in the movie, but the T-X itself is kind of stupid. It seems to be totally indestructable until it just magically breaks in the ending through the same kind of abuse it's already suffered for the entire movie. Oh, and there's barely any future-war scenes (only the one shown in the trailer), so don't come in hoping for that...

i thought it was pretty fucking great. there are large amounts of one-liners, and the t-x does die pretty improbably, like david_a said, but it's still got the best action i've seen in a long time, and it advances the hell out of the plot. and the ending is truly beautiful.

I agree that the ending was nice; it was pretty unexpected. The action was OK but compared to Cameron's trademark brutality and pacing it just doesn't hold up.

Perhaps you should add (possible spoilers) to the thread name.

I liked it.

The one-liners weren't awful, I was cracking up at most of them. It was late though and I was tired, so YMMV.

"Your levity ..." hah.

I wish they hadn't cut the scenes of the T-1000 literally falling apart at the end of T2. In the special edition of T2, you see that it couldn't hold a form, was adapting to the metal grating at times, and glitched through various human forms near the end. Definitely a prototype model and it's easy to see why Skynet eventually went to a hybrid between endoskeleton and polymimetic metal. The obvious advantages being the ability to conceal various weaponry and cutting tools within the skeletal structure.

Sure, it's less indestructible ... you see that the T-X's primary weapon is wrecked halfway through, but it's far more functional than the T-1000, and ultimately, dare I say, more reliable. As seen in the escape sequence from the magnetic chamber.

The whole idea of the computer virus is weird. They got so many of the details right, and it's almost plausible if you didn't know too much about how computers work. But there's still some glaring errors and inconsistencies in the movie's implementation of Skynet. Such as the fact that the civilian and military networks are with few exception utterly disconnected from one another and therefore it would be difficult for any single virus to infect all of it at once. The great variety of hardware, operating systems, and software out there would perhaps not present such a great obstacle if it were an AI writing the virus ... it would be able to produce and refine various vectors of infection for each type of system: essentially, a combination of the Morris and theoretical Warhol worms.

And how would Skynet have unleashed the virus before it was ever fully activated? Surely the military scientists wouldn't have allowed it a connection to any portion of the outside world before they were ready. Maybe it was explained better but scenes were ultimately cut for the theatrical release. In which case I look forward to an extended edition of the movie for the DVD release.

I was a little dissapointed with it. It was like nothing really happened in the movie. It seems like nothing but a launching pad for more sequals.

The one-liners were funny, but kept me from taking the movie seriously. The action sequences werent as spectacular as T2's, and Arnold didnt really do much. Also, the T-X didnt feel as threatening ad imposing as the T-1000. I did like the ending though.

I dunno, maybe I just let it build up in my mind over the past few years. It's not a terrible movie. But it just cant compete with T2. I dont know if anything ever will.

Assmaster said:

I was a little dissapointed with it. It was like nothing really happened in the movie. It seems like nothing but a launching pad for more sequals.

The one-liners were funny, but kept me from taking the movie seriously. The action sequences werent as spectacular as T2's, and Arnold didnt really do much. Also, the T-X didnt feel as threatening ad imposing as the T-1000. I did like the ending though.

I dunno, maybe I just let it build up in my mind over the past few years. It's not a terrible movie. But it just cant compete with T2. I dont know if anything ever will.

This is very similar to what I thought of it... The action sequences weren't very breathtaking and it ended up being very light-hearted with all the comedy bits (like when Arnie gets his clothes and the 2-minute cameo by the psychologist).

I'm hoping that the rumours of Terminator 4 being set entirely in the future are true. If they do that and don't include Arnie anymore, it might be very enjoyable. The future-war sequence in the beginning of T2 was the coolest thing I had ever seen the first time I saw the movie. Unfortunately the stop-motion robots haven't held up all that well, especially since robots are probably the easiest thing to make convincing with CG. An entire movie like that with contemporary effects would be very neat indeed. I really liked the shots of Arnie at the end where half his tissue was blown off, but unfortunately he didn't stay around long after that.

I always assumed the T2 doing its wierd adaptions towards the end of T2 was because of the extreme heat in the steel plant, and then of course (i would add SPOILER but i imagine everybody has seen T2 by now) when it actually falls into the melted steel vat its completley destroyed

I think the offical story (taken from Frake's novelization of T2, which he got help from Cameron with) was that the T-1000 was damaged by being frozen. His control over his form was diminished and he couldn't stop his extremities from mimicing anything he touched.

david_a said:

I think the offical story (taken from Frake's novelization of T2, which he got help from Cameron with) was that the T-1000 was damaged by being frozen. His control over his form was diminished and he couldn't stop his extremities from mimicing anything he touched.

You are correct. This is said on the commentary in the ultimate edtion somewhere.. meh.

I saw T3 last night too, and I LOVED it. the only problem to me? I felt it was too short.

Arioch said:

The whole idea of the computer virus is weird. They got so many of the details right, and it's almost plausible if you didn't know too much about how computers work. But there's still some glaring errors and inconsistencies in the movie's implementation of Skynet. Such as the fact that the civilian and military networks are with few exception utterly disconnected from one another and therefore it would be difficult for any single virus to infect all of it at once. The great variety of hardware, operating systems, and software out there would perhaps not present such a great obstacle if it were an AI writing the virus ... it would be able to produce and refine various vectors of infection for each type of system: essentially, a combination of the Morris and theoretical Warhol worms.

And how would Skynet have unleashed the virus before it was ever fully activated? Surely the military scientists wouldn't have allowed it a connection to any portion of the outside world before they were ready. Maybe it was explained better but scenes were ultimately cut for the theatrical release. In which case I look forward to an extended edition of the movie for the DVD release.

I thought that in the very beginning the virus was due to the T-X, which they tried to use Skynet to put a stop to. Once she showed up a bunch of shit went haywire. I need to go see it again because i'm unsure on this. And if you're right then that's a pretty good sized plothole. I just assumed that the virus was jumpstarted by the T-X, who created a pretty potent virus which infected apparently everything, forcing them to use Skynet on it.

I dont know if i can say whether T3 was better than T2 or not. I'll have to see it again to judge on that one. There were a few gripes i had though. T3 was just unrelenting action it seemed. I can think of maybe 3 scenes that werent smashing shit and gunfire. I wish that they'd have added a few more scenes to further the storyline rather than just the T-X killing the shit out of everything while arnold and John ran like fuck.

Also, I thought Kristanna Loken worked wonderfully. The machines used the sexy woman thing against people because they're are easier to manipulate that way: "that's a nice gun". She wasnt intimidating or imposing. But was she *supposed* to be?

That final scene with the nukes going up was fucking poetry. Since the whole series has been about predestination, then i'm pretty certain T4 will be totally in the future. T3 set up the fact that there was no stopping Skynet, so I highly doubt T4 is about going back in time trying again to stop it. T4 is going to be real fucking short too. John finds an EMP and fucks the machine world over.

If they did make T4 another time-travel-stop-skynet thing then the T-X will come back as the good Terminator to protect John. Arnie is just too old. I expected the camera to go to him during an action scene and have him say "Vote for me in 2006!". Or whatever year he's running in.

i started a thread about this a while back. i guess it was more of a look at everyone's opinions before the movie came out.

I watched T1 the other day and noticed some problems. In the first movie, Kyle Reece said that the cyborg machines like the T-001, T-101, et cetera, didn't start being built until fourty years after the nukes. Also, John Connor didn't start the revolution until long after the nukes when he and some fellow humans broke out of the death camp. Also, the date of the nukes has changed in all three movies. In the 80's it was within three years of the movie, in 91 it was August ?th, 1998. Does the movie explain any of these things?

Heh, I can't wait to see it.

monochrome said:

I watched T1 the other day and noticed some problems. In the first movie, Kyle Reece said that the cyborg machines like the T-001, T-101, et cetera, didn't start being built until fourty years after the nukes. Also, John Connor didn't start the revolution until long after the nukes when he and some fellow humans broke out of the death camp. Also, the date of the nukes has changed in all three movies. In the 80's it was within three years of the movie, in 91 it was August ?th, 1998. Does the movie explain any of these things?

Heh, I can't wait to see it.

Well, actually Reese was VERY vague about the date of Judgment day.
he merely said "a few years from now.." that could mean anything.
In T2, it was August 29th 1997, and was averted by the actions of that movie. Or so everyone thought.. that is explained in T3, and if you haven't seen it, I'm not telling you. I think you'll enjoy it :)

Also, about the 40 years for the robots, he was speaking directly about the type of Terminator that had been sent back in time to Kill Sarah.