Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

D64TC Map27: Forbidden Deeper

I was just wondering what everyone thought of this map. It's rather odd, because the concept and entire idea of a blood-red void with traps gallore was my concept, but Kaiser had to map it because at the time DeePsea wouldn't build the nodes right on any of the levels (which explains why it appears Kaiser did alot of the mapping).

Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone thought of this. What was your favorite part? What did you die at first? (lol), etc. Because there's an three wad chapter in Dark Nexus that takes place in a void, and right now I'm looking to top both Forbidden Deeper and Into the Void.

I haven't got to it yet melfice, but I'm sure I'll love it. All I ever used to do when I first got into editing Quake a few years back was making huge void style levels, or levels hanging over a lava chasm. So I'm undoubtedly going to love it, but I'll come back with more detailed comment after reaching it.

I'm up to that map in my run through wad and I'm just trying to cope with the massive FPS loss on this map (some were bad, but this is the worst so far). Any ideas? (outside of getting a new machine, tweaks and such)

All I can tell you is to have the memory usage at 128 at all times :/

It runs fine on my machine, and it's by far not the greatest machine out there.

I have p3-733 with 256 ram and a geforce3. That's not bad at all, though my machine has been having weird performance issues as of late... might be something else.

Im having great fun with the doom64 maps so far, but why does thinking of a map made by the people who created the TC fill me with visions of being jumped by hundreds of arachnotrons in tiny rooms, and running round for hours looking for a key>?

Well...let's see...

Kaiser had a major obsession with Cyberdemons in the DSV4 era, and has been known to make huge maps.

Me, hmm... dunno. I'm pretty elusive, I haven't publicly released one of my own maps singly yet, such as to /newstuff or anything. I plan on releasing a Dark Nexus demo...say...Monday.

Heh, i meant that the doom64 maps are short and sweet and the puzzles arent too hard (i always feel shocked when i can just walk up to a key and take it, isnt there supposed to be some other puzzle?), but, knowing this TC was made by people who are good at doom stuff, and knowing what a "Good" doom map is like by todays standards, doesnt give me much confidence the custom ones are gonna be any fun..i guess i'll find out when i reahc it XD

Is this the Escher-style map that you were talking about earlier? Also, I was wondering if there'll be a new barrage of Doom64 wads being released now, made by folks like us using the textures, sprites, etc.

Job said:

Is this the Escher-style map that you were talking about earlier? Also, I was wondering if there'll be a new barrage of Doom64 wads being released now, made by folks like us using the textures, sprites, etc.

thats what I hope to see :)

Kuberr said:

Well...let's see...

Kaiser had a major obsession with Cyberdemons in the DSV4 era, and has been known to make huge maps.

I never tend to spam levels with Cyberdemons.

I did however had a thing for Hell Knights

Is this the Escher-style map that you were talking about earlier?

Nope, that'll be in Dark Nexus. I have a screenshot, and plan to put it up on the next update to the page on the Doom Depot, which should be anytime now.

never tend to spam levels with Cyberdemons.

Maybe I just had bad timing...but it seemed like everytime I played Coop with you and Spork that there was a Cybie in the level someone :P