Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Timdog

Best vid card for Doom?

Is there any special line of cards that are better for Doom then my Geforce 4 Ti 4600? Like a Voodoo 3 or 5?

Doom 3 or the original? For the original, many ports support software rendering, so the only thing that will help you in that case is a fast CPU. GL/Direct3D ports should work fine on any 3D card that's less than 4 years old.

If you're talking Doom 3, it's anybody's guess as to which of the two leading makers' cards will be best for it when it's released.

I'm talking original here. I don't know if I will get D3 yet or not as my system probably can't handle it.

Uh, any vga card with 2 mb or more of memory can run Doom.

Timdog: Im curious, are you totally new to doom? This isnt meant to be insulting in any way. It's just something that would be really unusual. Not unwelcome though :)

Good question, since speed or features are no issue here, it comes down to which card gives you the best image?
Think the matrox cards were/are the best, and the tnt from nvidia was in fact the worst. It's hard to say, cause the ppl reviewing those cards are all measuring speed and counting the new features. My guess is based on reviews that said for 2D matrox has the best card, doom being 2,333...D there could be a link. Those reviews were at the time of voodoo3, tnt2 and matrox??? (you could use two monitors with that card)

Use3D said:
Uh, any vga card with 2 mb or more of memory can run Doom.

Not quite correct. My first box had a nameless (Trident?) clone, sporting 512k and DOOM ran on it, though with the hindsight, I wouldn't call the performance stellar.