Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
captmellow

/me loves linux

Ah, yes, now at work I have an old dell poweredge server (the new one that replaced it has dual athlon 1.2ghz & an obscene amount a ram) on my desk. It has dual P2's, big hd's, much ram, poor gfx card (800x600 max @ 16bpp), & little else--not even a sound card. But what makes it remarkable is that it is the first machine on which I've been able to install my Mandrake distro. Finally I get to see what all the fuss is about. I love it! I've been messing around w/ the console of course, & KDE, Samba (got it to successfully share a dir w/ NT machines on a network), Gnumeric (saves spreadsheet files as XML--very cool) & in general just trying to learn all the new (to a dos/win16/win32 bg guy) stuff. The directory structure's been the weirdest thing for me. None of the familiar a:, c:, d:--it's all just one tree--kind of what win95+ has been trying to emulate in a way w/ the explorer tree. I finally looked in /mnt & found the floppy & cd, what a trip that was!

Anyway, the priority is going to be setting up raid/apache/mysql/php/samba to replicate everything that's currently being done on NT4, then switch it all over. Maybe not the file server part, but for sure the web server.

But, of course I want to get some Linux Doom stuff going on, as much as can be done w/out a sound card. Also, where was that Linux doom process killer that was done a year or so back?

I would like to try Linux... I hear that if you can get it going good its a really nice OS. My copy of Mandrake 8 locked up and crashed on me so many fucking times I thought I was using Windows for Workgroups.

Linux rocks. Lack of applications is probably its only fault.
But that's enough for me to keep using Windows :(

I installed StarOffice's cousin OpenOffice today, & it looks pretty good. I tried out win32 StarOffice last year on NT4, & it was loaded w/ stuff--just about every office app one could want. But it crashed constantly, so I took it out & stuck w/ msoffice. OpenOffice is doing everything in XML format, which is going to be getting huge real soon.

Your experience was certainly a bit extreme. I really liked the Mandrake Installer, there were no errors during the installation, it detected my Win2K just fine, everything works properly.

I told it to partition my 2nd harddrive into four slices. IT ENDED UP MAKING FOURTEEN FUCKING PARTITIONS... 10 of them not even EXT2, they were just *BAD*. DiskDrake ate my balls dot com.

Back during my late Junior year, some students and I had a little taste (almost none) of what Linux was like. Red Hat to be exact. In the computer lab, some students were hooking up four brand new computers on a network with Red Hat Linux installed, but it liked to freeze a lot. Because of this problem, they never really got to do anything else after they finished setting up the network. We did play some of the preinstalled games though, especially that Tetris game with all the little smiley-face blocks. Unfortunately, that's basically all that we done after the network was configured. They explored around looking in the control panel, or whatever it's called in Linux, and other things. Finally after one of the computers showed "evaluation version time expired" alerts on boot-up, they took everything down. Blah...

[/quote]I think I was still angry at this point.[/quote]Wow, I guess so . . .

The theme w/ "cubes on the title bar" you were describing sounds like Gnome/Enlighten.

Your experience w/ Linux sounds like mine w/ warp3 in the summer of '95 (or '96, I forget). There are a lot of bitter os/2 users in this world, & I was one of them for a while.

I got my Mandrake distro cd through cheapbytes for like $3, not including s&h.

I saw that fucking skin on KDE.org for God's sake.

Captain, seritonin levels are quite low!

Well, just going by the description you gave, Enlighten's bars have a groovy cube-like thing going on, that's what came to mind.

Bah, I didn't have much time to enjoy the skin I liked anyway... KDE went down on me easier than a whore on Bourbon street.

I have no idea why it acted so fucking terribly on my system... maybe it'll work better with some less mainstream hardware, you know, like anything.

All of which serves to confirm my firmly held belief that Mandrake is utter shite. I've only tried to install it once, mind you, but it bombed out on package selection about 5 times before I finally gave up and went with RedHat 7.0.

Eventually the RedHat installation started screwing up too (but only after about oh, 9 months) and I zapped it and installed Debian.

4 months and going strong.

yeah, firstly i had a few problems with red hat installing, that was
my machine had a ps/2 port mouse, but i had a serial attached, i disabled it and still had problems trying to get it working in the setup
secondly, whenever i installed a kde workstation, it would freeze when it reaches the GDI, that sucked, since it did it everytime, yet everything else loaded up for me ok. >:P

mandrake was a beauty for me, like cannabis being a stepping stone to harder drugs, it served as a light introduction into the linux world.

windowmaker also uses 'cubes' on the side for navigation.

Never tried it. I'm not thinking of doing that either. Even if Windows keeps on giving me those happy blue screens. I'll just stick to Bill Gates' product..

That was what caused me to burn yet another win32 bridge 2 nights ago: I use Linux for a few days, & I begin to realize how nothing bsod's me anymore. I got on the NT4 machine & tried opening an excel spreadsheet, got dr. watson'd twice in a row, so I fired up gnumeric.

You know what else? I always hated how rude win32 is w/ focus when I'm in the middle of typing something. I've noticed that KDE at least doesnt do that.

You have to remember that a large majority of linux users are communists...

rofl

Captmellow: i'm glad you like linux. If you need any help, feel free to email me, I'd be glad to help you.

Finally after one of the computers showed "evaluation version time expired" alerts on boot-up, they took everything down. Blah...

Say what? I've never heard of *any* linux distribution having a limited evaluation time.

bah, if I needed help, could I turn to almighty fraggle?

Sure. I dont promise to be able to solve your problems, but I'd be glad to help out anybody who needs help.

I probably cnat help you right now though, as I am slightly enibreated. Try tomorrow :)

Finally after one of the computers showed "evaluation version time expired" alerts on boot-up, they took everything down. Blah...

Say what? I've never heard of *any* linux distribution having a limited evaluation time.

Well whatever it was, it said something like that and also said that it would automatically shut down in some amount of minutes. It would show up right before Red Hat would start up, so I guess you're right about that. It must have been some other thing they installed. I never really got a good look at the alert.

Fraggle, I may very well ask for assistance. But "man -k" is getting me pretty far atm. My current conundrum is getting the linux box to browse the rest of the NT network. Apparently smbmount & smbfs are going to do the trick, but . I don't know if this samba rpm that was on the distro disk was compiled w/ smbmount support enabled, but as loaded to bear as Mandrake seems to be, it probably is. Trying to install a newer samba caused a little disagreement w/ the existing components. But anyway, from looking at the linux doom ports, looks like I'll be using zdoom for bot action, though Vavoom's dynamic lighting in software mode is certainly a cool feature. I wonder how easy it would be to make a bot for it? For a coder, that is. :-)

You have to remember that a large majority of linux users are communists...

No no, nightmare: We Mac users are communists. And vegetarians. And we do not wash ourselves. And we have strange sexual obsessions. And we have long noses.
:D

I have a long nose and yet I don't have a mac, wtf is up with that? :P

Mac users having long noses does not imply that people with long noses are mac users. Logical fallacy :P

Eventually the RedHat installation started screwing up too (but only after about oh, 9 months)

And getting me rooted about 3 times along the way.