Find results in...
fraggle

Freedoom: Arena?

Freedoom: Arena?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Freedoom: Arena?

• Cool!
    • Stupid.

Linguica suggested this to me a while ago, but it seems more possible now that we have an almost complete set of weapons (thanks Scuba Steve :)

What do people think about making a freedoom deathmatch IWAD? The main (single player) IWAD needs lots of materials for the monsters etc, but in a deathmatch WAD these arent needed: you only need stuff for the player and the powerups. We could assemble a complete free multiplayer game based on ZDaemon and Freedoom fairly easily; there are only a few holes to fill in (I think sound effects are probably the main thing).

Things we'd need:

• A few sprites (not a huge problem)
  • SUPER SHOTGUN. I dont think I need to explain anything here.
  • Sound effects (player grunts for example are missing, and some weapon sounds too)
  • Levels. There are plenty of deathmatch levels floating around out there. It would be good if we could find some levels popular among the current ZDaemon/deathmatch players and get permission from their authors to include them.
What do people think?

Nice, we just need a ssg and fists.

can I make the human sounds? :P

That would be cool. Then we can start makeing player skins for it. Ya should also make it one player bot death match.I could do some levels for it. We could add a fourm just for it. Ware people could post maps and skins.

I think the courtyard part of my map02 could be a nice DM level. And map07 is already DM-ready ^_^

Map01 will also have okay dm... (it is me, map26 and e3m8 have great dm too :P)

I'm working on a map right now -- if it beta tests well, you're more than welcome to use it.

Stupid Question: how was map23's DM? I never make Dm maps though, so keep that in mind.

So did this die a lingering death or is there a project on-going somewhere? Otherwise I'll make my own FreeDM project. I'm already making a pack of BOOM compatible DM levels, might as well support the very under-appreciated FreeDoom project as well. That and maybe it'll cut down on the DOOM warezing...

Rellik said:

So did this die a lingering death or is there a project on-going somewhere? Otherwise I'll make my own FreeDM project. I'm already making a pack of BOOM compatible DM levels, might as well support the very under-appreciated FreeDoom project as well. That and maybe it'll cut down on the DOOM warezing...

That would be cool. If you could donate those I could probably set up a build for the DM wad. Having a large enough mass of existing levels like that might encourage other people to donate levels as well.

What I was originally planning to do was to do some research and find out the most popular levels on ZDaemon etc., then contact their authors and see about using them in freedoom. So thats probably something else that could be done.

I'm right in the middle of exams at the moment so you might experience some delays on stuff you contribute, though.

I've been running a DM level review site for a while now and have found lots of great levels that could be plugged right into something like this. If I have time I was thinking of emailing the authors and seeing if I couldn't pack them all together but that might have to wait for a bit. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to have seperate single player / multiplayer iwads... Dm doesn't really need monsters so I'm considering turning all the current new monster sprites into skins. That way there is what, 8 or so skins for people to use included right in the wad.

Heh, you gotta be careful about using the most popular wads because they aren't neccesarily very good. :) I have a feeling Dwango's are so popular just because they're well-known. That's why I'm hoping to put a bunch of quite modern maps in the package. Dwango was fantastic for it's time, but now players look for a little more and there are a lot of new engine features to be taken into account. I'm really dissapointed that there aren't more BOOM Dm levels since their compatible with all the major online gaming ports. I think a really kick-ass project could change all that though. :)

I'm not 100% committed to this yet, it's a fairly large undertaking but whatever I do get done I'll definitely share.

I'm also open to any suggestions.

I got bored the other day and did a bunch of playtesting online. Here's what I have so far, it's 5 levels with some new textures / flats. I'd appreciate it if no one would do anything with the levels till I've got a final release ready. The levels are mostly rough, but the major structural elements are all there. After I get 'em finished people can do whatever they want with 'em. :)

The levels use BOOM stuff so are very incompatible with any non-Boomy engines. The first level has my so far pretty nifty random teleporter.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. You HAVE to run the maps with monsters! They control things like the random teleporter and power-up availability but are not actually present in the level.

2. Skill setting is pretty important, on skills 1/2 you enter the arena with all weapons except the BFG. On the other skills it's normal DM. I've only tested them on skill 2 so I imagine the item placement on regular DM might be a bit rough.

So I'd appreciate some feedback and hopefully might get some help with it. I'm hoping to release 15 1on1 tourney maps and 15 DM maps btu that's a helluva lot of mapping.

Fraggle, if no one else is doing it I've got a website mostly done for the project. I don't have a place to put it though so I'm hoping to put it on the freedoom site in the sub-projects area.

So what do ya think people? Do the people want a freedm iwad?

Here's a link to a very temp page that has the PWAD (160kb zip). The PWAD is fully DOOM2 compatible.

Rellik said:

Fraggle, if no one else is doing it I've got a website mostly done for the project. I don't have a place to put it though so I'm hoping to put it on the freedoom site in the sub-projects area.

That would be nice. I certainly dont have any objections. I can add a DM wad to the freedoom build system and build the wads automatically if you want.

Well you should hear all of what I have planned first before you agree to slap the FreeDM name on it as I plan to do some fairly non-typical stuff.

1. All levels will have to be dual mode, if you start on skill 1/2 you get all weapons before you enter the arena, otherwise it's regular DM. If I can come up with another play mode I might even put that in there for skill 3 but I haven't thought of anything yet.

2. I plan to use a dehacked patch to change many of the monsters into different devices like simple sound emitting objects, gun-turrets, etc so mappers won't be able to use monsters in their maps or use the project to make Co-op wads. This shouldn't be an issue as they can always use FreeDoom for that.

3. I'm changing the textures as I go to make them a little more useful for DM maps, and add a little spice, so this'll definitely be a seperate IWAD from the Freedoom one when it's complete. I'm hoping I'll also be able to make it a smaller download. I don't want to make it a PWAD because people might just get into the habit of adding it to DOOM2.wad which kind of defeats the purpose.

So let me know if you'd rather I named it something other than "FreeDM". It's not traditional DM but I know this project would have to be pretty high quality to get DOOMers to switch from playing with DOOM2. Heh then again all I have to say is "its Dwango compatible" and that might do it. Bloody Dwango.

Sounds good to me. I'd be willing to let you use or modify my maps for the project, although you'll probably find they're not good enough. Check my sig line for links.

I'll take a look at those levels today Drac. I'm finally working on finishing up my own levels now so by the end of today I should be able to post 5 or 6 maps.

I have three FFA and 3 tourney levels done now. I'm gonna hobble together a website and try to have 'em out be tomorrow.

The downloads aren't quite ready yet but you can see some screenies right here on my new website.

Nice. You might want to link to the BSD license that freedoom is under. Basically, when people use the freedoom material they're required to attach a copy of the license, which pretty much guarantees credit to the project.

If you have problems with hosting the files I can put them on the freedoom site for you, or I can add you to the developers list if you want (giving you access to the website)

Cool, got the BSD right in the the readme, plus I put a bunch of links to the contributors page and the freedoom site. If they can't figure out where to get the IWAD then it's not because I didn't try. :-) I used a couple textures from this Yogi guy's Arctic textures pack but he still hasn't returned either of my emails. Meh, worst comes to worst I can just find / make something else to replace them.

The levels are up now, fraggle could you take a look at the text file / html file and tell me if I should be doing the copyright stuff differently? Thanks.

Well, some better wording might be:

In a word, yes, but there is a condition. The reason this is called FreeDM is that it's not just free to download, anyone is free to do anything they'd like with it. FreeDM is licensed under the modified BSD license. This means that you can do whatever you want with the FreeDM material provided you attach a copy of the license. This is to ensure that the original project is given credit. Click here for the free software philosophy, click here for the definition of open source.

You might also want to reword the "no copyright" at the bottom of the page. Technically the BSD license is a copyright, but it is a permissive one that grants you pretty much all rights to use the material.