Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost

Big dumb question

Hi I'm new here and I dont really know anything about dooom modding or anything. So i was just wondering how i can add wads to my doom so that i can play them D:?. To you guys this is probably a really stupid newbie question :P. Well anyways i would really appreciate a reply ,thanks :).

by the way i am running doom through doom 95. will i need to dig up the old school doom cd?

To play wads you need to create a shortcut of your .exe and add the command line "-file blah.wad".

Many people bitch Doom95 so I recommend switching to a better port like zdoom, zdoomgl or jdoom

um lol well i got the original doom 2 cd thats like 8 years old would that be good?

Frost said:

and also do you mean that i type that in the target?

Go to your Doom2 directory and right-click on the doom2.exe
Create a shortcut
Right click on the shortcut and go to Properties
Add something like this : "C:\Doom2\DOOM2.EXE" -file av.wad

Of course you need the wad you want to play in the same directory as your executable.

ok thanks a lot man , I'm sorry my noobness must be extremely annoying :P.

aargh its not working its giving me some gay message saying that its invalid :(:(:(.

i installed my old doom 2 and the quality of the graphics is extremely crappy like crappy than it should be D:. It also runs very slowly as if my computer cannot handle it. Could somebody please give me a link for good versions of doom2 to download please :)?

Apparently you have windowsXP, which is unfortunate, but that is another matter....

1) download prboom http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom/
2) unzip prboom into a new folder(directory) or your doom2 folder
3) if using a different folder, copy the DOOM2.wad into that folder
4) create a shortcut that says <path>/prboom.exe -file <yourwad>.wad
like:
c:\doom2\prboom.exe -file av.wad -warp 1 -skill 4

play away.

Choices, choices...

Opulent has recommended PRBOOM as a source port. There's no doubt PRBOOM is good, but for my money (given that all the source ports are free :-)) Zdoom is a better option. You can get the latest version here...

http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars/47.cab

Aside from using a different exe (zdoom.exe instead of prboom.exe) Opulent's instructions still apply. If you do not put your additional wad files that you want to play in your prboom/zdoom directory, you may find you need a full path statement to them in your shortcut.

eg

c:\doom2\zdoom.exe -file c:\wads\av.wad

Oh yeah, the -warp and -skill parameters mentioned will take you straight to MAP01 at the Ultraviolence skill level. You can simply miss those off and start your game from the menu as normal.

A quicker way with zdoom, and maybe prboom too, might be to simply drag and drop the WAD you want to play on to the zdoom executable. That works just fine for me.

Of course, there are many other source ports available. Try a few and see which ones you like the best.

Have a look at the doomworld windows ports page. There's plenty of choice. The latest zdoom isn't there and some of the ports are a bit sucky (some were not developed very far). You've probably been recommended the best windows ports already, but no harm in trying stuff out.

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/index.php?platform=2

Frost said:

i installed my old doom 2 and the quality of the graphics is extremely crappy like crappy than it should be D:. It also runs very slowly as if my computer cannot handle it. Could somebody please give me a link for good versions of doom2 to download please :)?

If you download ZDoom (like Enjay said) you can then select higher resolutions in the options menu. (and they go much higher than those in DooM 95)

Quite.
But even in Doom95, all you have to do is select the wad you want in the launcher, under custom wad file. The drawback is that you can only pick one at a time...

And AFAIK therre is only one version of Doom95. Yes, the graphics are crappy. So get zdoom (and don't worry that it screws any game files because it doesn't)...

Or if you really cant do it, get doom legacy (er, search in google XD), and it has a launcher that makes running wads dead easy, you just choose which one you want from a browse window XD, though make sure its not a big level or legacy will crash, or make most of the walls non-solid and make all the switches not work! XD

When you've decided on what port you want to use (or while you're trying them ALL out) you can go to my site(see sig) and download ESL, which is a graphical launcher along the lines of the Doom 95, which might come in handy for you instead of messing around with shortcuts and what not.

Don't be fooled by the name(Edge Shell/Launcher): it works with almost all source ports, not just EDGE.

goddamit you guys are helpful ,thanks so much to all of you , I will try everything you have told me. Thanks again :).

erm instead of making a new thread in a different forum i might aswell ask it here , I tried multiplayer last night and i got all the things that were suggested ,however when i play the graphics are completely screwed looks like i have idclip on and I'm in a wall. Anyone help me with that please :P? Thanks

bah i got another gay problem ,i have downloaded legacy doom and whenever i try to open a wad through it ,it says could not execute file :( why is doom so mean to me.

Er, well, the last version of legacy I downloaded has a buggy launcher. Did you tell the launcher where to find a main wad? (on the launcher screen you should see a button that says "Game Mode". Click it. Now you should see a series of text boxes with buttons to the right that have "..." typed on them. click one of the "..." buttons and go to the folder where you have the doom2 wad (doom2.wad) and double click the wad.
If you've already done this or if it didn't remedy the problem...
in the multiplayer setup screen, after browsing for the custom wad, remove any quotation marks from the text box. (This has to be done in the version I have, it is a bug, but I don't know if it still exists in the latest version.) Now see if it works. If it doesn't, I can't help you. :)

First: Hello, Frost and welcome to the community.

Second: Everytime a newbie asks a question around here people start recommending source-ports and try to convince you theirs is the best.
There's nothing wrong with informing newbies about these technological developments but in this proces the real question is often over-shadowed by a "this-port-is-king-and-yours-is-not"-battle.

Your original question was:

by the way i am running doom through doom 95...
...So i was just wondering how i can add wads to my doom so that i can play them...

This question has not yet been aswered so I'll do it:
If you want to run a pwad with doom95 run doom95.exe and
* click 'browse' under 'custom wad file' (I think it's called that).
* select the directory the pwad is in and select the wad.
* click start.

Note: you can't run more than 1 pwad at the same time using Doom95.

I think I'll answer this one before it turns into a "this-wad-is king-and-yours-is-not"-battle :-)

check out this place.

Also check out this for reviews and links involving good wads.