Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Timdog

I was wondering if there is still a following for the original Doom? Do people still play on servers? I just want to know before I try and get it.

Of course there is, Doom is still a great game and is still being played (online or otherwise) to this day. Read the FAQ which tells you the following :

The forum rules (VERY IMPORTANT)
Where to get source ports
Where to get source ports for online play

Ok cool because I might want to setup a server eventually. I'll read the FAQ and see if I have anymore questions.

Well I read down to the ports section and now I have a question. Which is the best port for XP? Does it reall matter?

Thats kind of a bad question around here, since everyone has their preferred port. It's best to download them all and try them yourself.

Ok I got the shareware copy working. I guess I will play through the single player first and then work on multiplayer.

Zdoom is the best port for XP and everyone other operating system! Question answered.

Timdog said:

Well I read down to the ports section and now I have a question. Which is the best port for XP? Does it reall matter?

They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Which one is best for you depends on your priorities and your hardware. As Assmaster says, it makes sense to take a look at each and make up your own mind, not least because there are plenty of maps that require a specific port. Just a few quick characterizations which may or may not prove useful:
Zdoom - most advanced gameplay enhancements
jDoom - most advanced graphical enhancements
Legacy - considerable gameplay enhancements - has an OpenGL mode
ZdoomGL - like Zdoom but with graphical enhancements (incomplete as yet)
PrBoom/GLBoom - most compatibility with the original game and earlier ports such as Boom and MBF
Eternity - good compatibility with the original game and earlier ports - and considerable gameplay enhancements
All of the above work fine with XP.

There are also multiplayer-specific ports, which I don't know much about myself.

Deviant Force said:

I use ZdooM and Legacy I think those are the best but I havent tried many other's.

Legacy sucks, and if you are not PickleHammer don't use his avatar.

Ultraviolet said:

legacy has only had one redeeming feature - the fuzz-effected water.

Legacy is fast for network play when, WHEN, *WHEN* it works. Hopefully the c++ version will fix many of the bugs.

The zdoom 2.0 betas are where it's at for SP.

Ah, shit. I came to this thread too late. I was going to say Doom is dead.

Well, now that you're here, enjoy the Doom experience.

Heh.

Come on Job, I think it's time we were honest with the guy. This is just a site for people with an interest in games in general. No one actually plays Doom any more, lol.

Grazza said:

Come on Job, I think it's time we were honest with the guy. This is just a site for people with an interest in games in general. No one actually plays Doom any more, lol.

Yeah, I should just wake up. This is really DDRWorld.

Ultraviolet said:

Oh I didnt know there was someone here named picklehammer sorry I just thought it was funny.

He was banned for posting warez on more than one occasion, so it's to your benefit not to be confused with him.