Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

Musics, Sfx, ...need assitance

I would like to add ambiant sound for background in various levels, and since they're to be a constant throughout a level, i want to incorperate that within the music.

I know nothing about music replacement ecept there's a MUS2MIDI program from way back.

With Vanilla Doom2...

1) How can I take a wav (or other if necessary) file and convert it to a useable format to replace DOOMs music,

2) Can I use Wintex to do some of it?

TIA

BlueBeast said:

1) How can I take a wav (or other if necessary) file and convert it to a useable format to replace DOOMs music

You can't. At least not with vanilla Doom.

are there midi sound effects out there somewhere, or is midi strictly for instrumental sounds?

and/or what do i use for making my own music, that failing?

Midi just stores the "notes" to play. Your soundcard (or a software) makes the actual music out of that (that's why there are big differences how it sounds depending the the users computer).
You might want to use a port that has support for other music formats like MP3 or mod music.

boris said:

Midi just stores the "notes" to play. Your soundcard (or a software) makes the actual music out of that (that's why there are big differences how it sounds depending the the users computer).
You might want to use a port that has support for other music formats like MP3 or mod music.

I can recommend Zdoom.

BlueBeast said:

How can I take a wav (or other if necessary) file and convert it to a useable format to replace DOOMs music

You can't with vanilla, but you can with ZDoom:

1. Create your wav file (I used 44kHz 16 bit stereo)

2. Use dB PowerAmp Music Converter to convert the wav into an mp3.

3. Use DeePsea to insert the mp3 into your wad as a music lump. (Wintex won't do it, not sure about XWE)

4. Run ZDoom with your wad, and type the following in the console:

changemus ******** (where ******** is the name of your music lump)

5. Enjoy your newly-created wav tune. (quality is pretty good - although I've only done it with a DooM tune I taped off my older PC in SoundBlaster format)

A quick web search suggests that there are quite a lot of programs offering some sort of wav to midi conversion. Try http://www.widisoft.com perhaps. I haven't tested any of the software, so cannot comment on quality, limitations, etc.

Once you have it as a midi, you can of course convert it to Doom's mus format by using midi2mus.

actually wintex will insert mp3s (or anything) into a wad, you just need to trick it by first pasting a data lump (like a dehacked lump or whatever) into your wad and then renaming it (if you already have data lumps, you can just create a new one) and then importing whatever file you want into it.

of course once you do this wintex makes a copy of it in the wad, so you need to close the wad, reopen wintex and then delete the second lump (the one on the top is the new one, they'll have the same name tho)

man wintex sucks

grazza: wave -> midi programs are awful :P you're better off transposing the midi by ear yourself heh