Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Twiztid

speedmapping

You join their irc channel, find out what the theme is, edit like mad, then re-join at the deadline (or stay logged in if you can/wish) and DCC or email the map to the moderator (Nightmare atm).

The Ultimate DooMer said:

So you don't have to stay online for the whole 100 minutes?

If you have an ISP like mine that auto-disconnects after 2 hours, you've only got 20 minutes to spare anyway. So you wouldn't be able to log on early or do a bit of surfing beforehand or anything. Also, the one time I did it, my computer crashed in the middle and I had to shutdown and re-boot. So for me staying on line the whole time wasn't an option. I still got my map in though.

It doesn't matter when you think about it. You need to be logged on to find out the theme, and you need to be logged back on in time to send your map. What you do in the middle (connection wise) is pretty irrelevant. You still only have 100 minutes.

So all I'd have to do was this - join the irc channel, get the theme, disconnect, build the map, and then email the map to NiGHTMARE before the deadline.

If so, I shall have to give it a try....

Actually, what I call the deadline (i.e. 140 minutes after the start) is when people are supposed to send the maps, it doesn't have to be before this time :) Anything receieved over 20 minutes after the deadline is disqualified unless there's a good reason, although so far this hasn't happened.

There's a full list of rules at the bottom of the speedmapping page, although the thing about not having to stay on irc isn't there, probably because it seemed so obvious (that you don't have to) at the time :)

So you don't actually start the clock until 40 minutes in. I presume that 40 minutes is used for something other than giving out the theme?

Also, do you ever plan to upload the maps to newstuff?

Nobody cares if you send in your map a bit late. Remember, it's all for fun!

BTW Nightmare, where's the pack from last sunday's speedmapping? :)

i generally like people to stay during my sessions, because magikal was having a tendency to show up, read the theme, then disconnect and not show back up until half an hour or more after speedmapping ended. i usually accepted them, but it's nice for people to stay in there the whole time.

The only thing that has been keeping me from joining this event so far was damn irc. I was checking the web for this software/chat(?)-thing and I am not any the wiser. Can anyone give me a quick flow-chart what do to to get into this goddamn channel?

The Ultimate DooMer said:

So you don't actually start the clock until 40 minutes in. I presume that 40 minutes is used for something other than giving out the theme?

Eh? No, I give the them out at 7 (or whatever time it happens to start that week) and people work for 140 minutes and then send their maps in once that time is up (but it doesn't have to be before the time is up, is what I was trying to say).

boris said:

Nobody cares if you send in your map a bit late. Remember, it's all for fun!

BTW Nightmare, where's the pack from last sunday's speedmapping? :)

Only two people took part, and one of them didn't even send me the map, so there's not really much point :|

no, you get 100, and then a period of 40 minutes to get your map to whoever's running the show. you're not supposed to use the extra 40 to map.

No, it's 100 minutes. I think the confusion is because it adds up to and hour and 40 minutes

Assmaster said:

No, it's 100 minutes. I think the confusion is because it adds up to and hour and 40 minutes

i'm not sure on that. i know nightmare game a grace period for people to send in their maps. i don't remember if it was as long as 40 minutes though O_o i generally expect people to be able to send me their wads within 15 minutes after the initial time is up, although most actually send in their maps with 5 or 10 minutes to spare.

NiGHTMARE said:

Only two people took part, and one of them didn't even send me the map, so there's not really much point :|

Aww that sucks. I wanted to participate, but I got a new computer the day before which gave me quite a headache, so I totally forgot about speedmapping :(

NiGHTMARE said:

Damnit!. :(

Err, yeah, I meant 1 hour 40 minutes :) Perhaps if I just provide a I chronology kinda deal it'll be easier to understand:

19.00 GMT: I upload this week's theme to http://haunt.8m.com/speedmapping.html . Everyone who's interested starts mapping (or whining about how the theme sucks ;) )

20:40 GMT: Everyone stops mapping and sends me their level via DCC, e-mail (nick@frad.org), etc.

21:00 GMT: No more maps will be accepted (unless there's a good reason it's late), I start putting the levels together in one wad, writing the text file, etc.

Some time after 21:00 GMT: I upload the wad and provide a link to it on http://haunt.8m.com/speedmapping.html

WTF?

NiGHTMARE said:

19.00 GMT: I upload this week's theme to http://haunt.8m.com/speedmapping.html . Everyone who's interested starts mapping (or whining about how the theme sucks ;) )

19:40 GMT: Everyone stops mapping and sends me their level via DCC, e-mail (nick@frad.org), etc.

20:00 GMT: No more maps will be accepted (unless there's a good reason it's late), I start putting the levels together in one wad, writing the text file, etc.

Some time after 20:00 GMT: I upload the wad and provide a link to it on http://haunt.8m.com/speedmapping.html

Look like we only got 40mins now... :P

Heh, looks like it'll be even speedier mapping now...

(maybe the hour saved by daylight has been lost a bit prematurely...)

I can't make this Sunday's session, but I'll try and learn irc to make next Sunday's (before going off on holiday a few hours later).