Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd rather play the actual Dark Forces.

Or a Doom mod like Rex Claussen's The Darkest Day that is really Dark Forces like, but has an original storyline.

The message I wanted to get across: A Star Wars setting mod would be cool and I don't object to some resource stealage, but please make original weapons and an original storyline.

It is not THAT hard to write a decent Star Wars adventure.

some of those screenshots are nice but i cant wait untill some levels are released, if there was a *.gob and a *.goo convertor to convert those files to wads then everything would be easiter since gob and goo are the files some star wars games use

Star Wars/Dark Forces DooM. Hmmm, sounds vaguely familiar. Now where have I come across one of those wads?

;)

Little Faith said:
Or a Doom mod like Rex Claussen's The Darkest Day that is really Dark Forces like, but has an original storyline.

uhh... I took a real issue with the fact that all the weapons and monsters acted the same as they did in doom, but with dark forces sprites. it made it impossable for me to enjoy it, wich is a shame, 'cus it had som very interesting level... I know Dehacked is a pain to learn, but it complay killed the mod for me :(

Yeah, that definately breached the mood a bit for me too.

Still The Darkest Day LEVELS managed to create a massive beautiful Star Wars environment within a Doom game while still being totally original.

What I was fearing was that this TC would just be trying recreate the levels and storyline of the real Dark Forces in a Doom environment.

and why do laser guns never shoot lasers in these things? it was done in "twice risen", and i managed to make a laser pistol myself in dehacked BEFORE i even knew what codepointers where (though the rocket launcher and pistol became basically the same weapon XD)

Little Faith said:

Yeah even our own little Rubilacxe have made a good starwars type beam weapon.

OMFG HE MADE IT?!?!?! HE DIDNT STEAL IT!?!?

*gives Rubilacxe a gold star*

Ct_red_pants said:

back on topic, is that mod using Zdoomgl? and if so, is it me, or dose it seem to have dynamic lighting?

Older version of ZDoomGL (0.66.2), maybe?

I'd love to see thos screen shots, but all I am getting is dead links.

REX: I have seen screen shots of your latest Starwars project, and it is looking good! Is it out yet, I lost the link. :/

My DOOM Legacy Starwars project is still coming along, I can't say it is going to be the greatest Starwars experience you will ever have, but I do believe it will features enough interesting features to keep most of you interested. There will of course be a few original weapons, original enemies, original maps, barrowed textures out the but, and a LOT of scripting. The project is a few years old, as I have been working on it while I learn to edit DOOM, but it is coming along quite well, just got to work out a crap load of bugs and GL Holes in the maps 1st, and touch up on my scripting, and textures. I have only posted 1 Minor screen shot on newdoom about 3 weeks ago, and shall have a site up with more as soon as I can deidicate more time to making it more visually appealing. :)

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to view the 3D models of enemies from Dark Forces 3 with skins? I'd like to rotate them, and take screen shots of some of them while there in different action poses, but have been finding this kind of hard to tackle.

ok i know that 2 different people made AT-ST's one shoots rockets and the other utilizes the machine guns

i guess they were for some old star wars doom mod...

Thank 'InsertWhackyNamehere' for the site... Okay, I've finally done the 'SewerBug' from Dforces and you should expect more screenies soon... Oh, and the version of ZdoomGL is 1.22 I Think... rocket trails are off and Dynamic lighting is set for 'Vertices' tracing. So Sam I'll send some more soon.

It is a shame to At-At's could not be scaled a bit larger. I would love to include some in my project, but they looked to dwarfed to me, so I cut them out. I may go back and have another go at them sometime and see if I can't make them look better in some way. With a reduced HP count, they would make for a perfect Cyber Demon replacement, such as you will see in Jedi Knights 2.

Little Faith said...
------------------------------
The message I wanted to get across: A Star Wars setting mod would be cool and I don't object to some resource stealage, but please make original weapons and an original storyline.
------------------------------

Hmmm... Ye who have Little Faith.

Okay, the reason for the modification is simple, It brings the game of Dark Forces to the Doom environment and also has MultiPlayer this time.

Playing Dark Forces was one of the most original game Concepts within the 'Star Wars' universe and I appreciate all the effort LucasArts has gone to BUT...

1. No Multiplayer Capability.
2. No Freelook ( +Mlook ).
3. No enhanced ports to support the options, let alone the miracle rendering effects of OpenGL.

I hate to bitch to people but somebody has to do it...

XDelusion says;
----------------------------
While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to view the 3D models of enemies from Dark Forces 3 with skins? I'd like to rotate them, and take screen shots of some of them while there in different action poses, but have been finding this kind of hard to tackle.
----------------------------

All right then?... no? Then what you need is an Md3 viewer. Look for Java Md3 viewer, by far one of th best. And the Md3 files? No Problems, any game that utilizes the Quake III Arena engine can have it's PK3 files opened with WinRar, WinZip too... but WinRar displays the Directory Structures.

DeathBringer said:
--------------------------------
and why do laser guns never shoot lasers in these things? it was done in "twice risen", and i managed to make a laser pistol myself in dehacked BEFORE i even knew what codepointers where (though the rocket launcher and pistol became basically the same weapon XD)
--------------------------------

Okay... All and I mean ALL characters with Blaster-type weapons shoot bolts and the Player's weapons too.

That blaster bolt thing is a bitch, I have worked that into my Legacy project as well, with the exception of 2 weapons, 1 being a melee weapon.
I don't know how flexable ZDOOM is in this area, but in Legacy you are limited by the Frame Table and the Code Pointers, you can not create your own at the moment, so you of course have to barrow or steal projectiles from the only 3 weapons that actually shoot projectiles. I was going to have a flame thrower in my project (yes they have flame throwers in the Starwars Universe), but that ended up chewing up my resources, so now I am forced to cut that out for the time being, though it may well work its way back in over time, if I can find the time to sit down with a pen, paper, and dehacked, with a little time, and a lot focus, you can come up with some amazing stuff with DeHacked. :)

Now as for a full Dark Forces total conversion, this would of course be kool, but what about the 3D models, and the funky elevators, the movie cut sceeens ect? There is a lot more to this game than there was in the DOOM engine, not saying it is a wasted attempt, but at the moment there is not a single DOOM engine out there that could pull it off 100%.

I'll do a search for the Model Viewer. Any tips as to know what skins go with what models?

OH ya, forgot to add, if you want me to share any of my enemy sprites, sprites it is not a problem, I have been taking a lot from Dark Forces, and df-21.net and converting them over to DOOM, I even have a Kell with propper colors, though I have yet to convert him over, but I do at least have his BMP's so far.

XDelusion said:

Now as for a full Dark Forces total conversion, this would of course be kool, but what about the 3D models, and the funky elevators, the movie cut sceeens ect? There is a lot more to this game than there was in the DOOM engine, not saying it is a wasted attempt, but at the moment there is not a single DOOM engine out there that could pull it off 100%.

There were models in Dark Forces One? Are you sure you aren't thinking about Jedi Knight? Also, could you insert cutscene's via scripting?

insertwackynamehere said:

There were models in Dark Forces One? Are you sure you aren't thinking about Jedi Knight? Also, could you insert cutscene's via scripting?

There were a few models - Your ship, "The Moldy Crow" was an example of a model found in most levels. I think there was an imperial shuttle too. Maybe some other stuff.

2 ways to do cutscenes.

The usual cameras pointed at pictures on walls, pages of text, monsters with goals set etc.

Make a video and get Zdoom to call it from within a script. Zdoom pauses, a Zdoom specific media player window opens, plays the vid then returns to Zdoom. Quite cool, but only for Windoze and it makes for big downloads too.

ZDOOM specific Media Windows? Are you saying ZDOOM supports movie files, or are you suggesting making a movie sceen by using cameras, scripting, and moving textures?

hmm, on my doom 1/2 collection cd there is a replacement weapon for the rocket launcher which changes it to a star wars weapon instead of the "launcher" shooting rockets it shoots bolts

and im fooling around with a heavily modified version of doom and i replaced the chaingunners with mandalorians (boba fetts) and changed the mancubus to snow troopers

the snow troopers may be usefull if your creating a level with snow and you want to add a flame thrower or something...

I've got a set of Snow Troopers around here somewhere that I did a couple years ago, of course it will take a lot of effort to find them I'm sure. I was going to add them into this project, but now that I have decided to cut flame throwers all together, they have been cut...

...perhaps in my Starwars project for nxDOOM (Dreamcast DOOM) I'll work them in.

Ct_red_pants said:

I took a real issue with the fact that all the weapons and monsters acted the same as they did in doom, but with dark forces sprites.

Not quite all. The Mandalorian (Boba Fett) was a modified chaingunner, only much faster and tougher. The Rogue Jedi was a modified archvile & demon with completely different characteristics, the officer (only in Dawn: A Prelude) was tougher and faster. All thanks to Nigel 'Enjay' Rowand's skills with DeHacked.

Okay... It's been a while since a reply, but I'll have more DFDoom stuff and Possibly a 'DEMO' of what can be expected.

Sorry about the late reply, Hard Drives died! :(

F$#%KIN' SEAGATES!