Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

how we think of...

As an escaped prisoner in a Nazi war prison, you will move smoothly through a 3D world full of amazing detail and animation. Run through a sensational and realistic 3D environment, with intelligent moving guards and opponents.

is the description for GBA wolf3d. however it is the same description in a old game article of around 1991. It is amazing how far we have come in a very short time. doom blew it out of the water, quake to doom and so on. However Id has seemed to hold its edge on games. Doom is the most remembered and i have a few articles on it from the time. great reviews on doom continued up until 1997-98, i still saw articles in mags. the last being about the source release.

I think i am gonna use the way back machine, meaning the old DOS box i found intact.

It's interesting they still use the same description. It's a matter of time and presentation. When it was made, it WAS an impressive and lush 3D environment. Now we just think it's a lame game with no detail and no height changes.

Of course, people think similar things about Doom, but we love it anyway.

/me hugs Doom.

Yeah, but it's not their fault that they look at Doom this way. I sort of understand. I played Doom before I played Wolfenstein, and part of me knows it's a good game, but you know, my expectations had already been set by Doom. If only I had done it the other way around... On the other hand, I loved ROTT when I played it, even though Doom has a superior engine, ROTT had all kinds of gimmicks so that you wouldn't notice. I mean, it had weapons of mass destruction, gibs flying everywhere, and some really cool traps, not to mention jump pads and destroyable objects. Those were the good ol' days... By the way, as far as way back machines are concerned, I'ev got one better. I've got a box in my room that I have to set Doom to low detail and even then the framerate sucks at times. Who said F5 had no use in Doom?

Even when it was spanking new I was still kinda annoyed by it's repetitiveness.

When you've been through several square-miles of maze with the exact same texture you'll get very nauseous.

Little Faith said:

When you've been through several square-miles of maze with the exact same texture you'll get very nauseous.

Good old days, I remember those headaches...

It wasn't really the engine's fault though. Ken's Labyrinth that had about the same engine didn't have this problem.

(It did have the problem that it was butt-ugly though).

Heh, like ive said before, back in 1987 (or maybe earlier even?) or thereabouts there was a game for the BBC computer with a near identical engine to wolf 3D, except it didnt have any texturing on the walls, but it did have an automap!

Nanami said:

It's interesting they still use the same description. It's a matter of time and presentation. When it was made, it WAS an impressive and lush 3D environment. Now we just think it's a lame game with no detail and no height changes.

Of course, people think similar things about Doom, but we love it anyway.

/me hugs Doom.

But NOW we have various Wolf3d GL ports, so now it's a blurred lush environment! and while I could play with the mouse somewhat, I assure you there's no mlook or jump in any port I tried.

yea thats what i hate about wolf3d is the levles. its hard cuase u dont know where u are.

classic computers? got a 286 laptop thats as thick as a very large dictionary. got a tandy(286) downstaris, no hard drive. back in the days of floppy only. saddly i dont use it much cause i cant see the CGA graphics, really terrible with text. If i could find an 8-bit VGA card i would be set.

have another 286 that is VGA and such, has alot of memory for a 286 too, 4MB. only bad thing is i need a new floppy drive, and it is hard to find the type it uses.

old hardware is the funnest to play with. On a side note. my local bank uses the same modle 286 computer i have, still(IBM PS/2) those things where about 1987-88. the bank still uses it, though it is all they need i am surprised it has held out so long. many airports use systems over 30 years old and similar with goverment.

My dad's office was useing green terminals and no networking at all, still transfering files by floppy. didnt help that the tech had shit and beer for brains. they could have networked everything and the mainframe. rather than haveing many seperate terminals. i think they are doing that right noe

The secret system was bad, too. The secrets were not distinguished in any way from the walls around them (IIRC), so the only way to find them was to use every wall in the entire level.

Now, Wolf3D may be outdated now, but I'm not sure Doom will ever be outdated. Even though its age is obvious, it's still a fairly good-looking game (especially with a source port to give higher resolutions, although I don't care for the GL ports at all). The gameplay is still good (although comparatively simplistic), the control scheme easily updateable to modern standards (wasd + mouse), and the sound as scary as ever. The music is pretty bad by modern standards, though, I'll admit. :)

If ol' doom does die on PC, it will still live on in portable devices. those things are a heaven for games that otherwise would be outdated.

I think it's unlikely that Doom will ever -really- be overlooked... with the exception of the SNES port. I hate that one...

Portable conversions -are- a nice thing for older games, though, I agree. It gives the older players something to do, while exposing the newer field. However, nothing replaces the original editions...

I actually never played Wolf3D... aside from the SNES one. SNES 3Dports ports are a bad thing...

Anyway, I can still play Doom... yay for Windows 98! I refuse to forsake thee! *Smites XP*

Cecillia said:

Anyway, I can still play Doom... yay for Windows 98! I refuse to forsake thee! *Smites XP*

Word!

I had an incident with ME, so, I refuse to move up my OS. Thus, I can still use DOS okay, and am generally happy with it.

Carmageddon's still good, too. The original, not the zombie one. Squish!

The music is pretty bad by modern standards, though, I'll admit. :)

That's only becuase of, ugh, "ambient 'music'". Screw that, gimme "Hiding the Secrets" over another bland Doom 64 music piece composed of computer consoles beeping dimly in the backgorund. (Though, admittedly, the one with the babies crying in the background was pretty rad.)

I actually never played Wolf3D... aside from the SNES one. SNES 3Dports ports are a bad thing...

Hell yeah, same here! Wolf-3D SNES style all the way, baby!!!!!! I actually prefer the SNES version because it has all the action of the original, plus the different styles of each mission, minus the repetetive levels of the original. It's still pretty repeptetive nonetheless, though.

Windows 98 is, without a doubt, the worst piece of crap OS I have ever used. I prefer old Apple Os's to that thing. Oh no, I switched floppies in the middle of a Word document, poor 98 is lonely and wants it back! Then it Blue Scrren of Death's me until it gets its way. Piece of crap.