Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomRater

Legend of Zelda for Hexen

Say, anyone interested in a Legend of Zelda Hexen project? I'd love to build the levels and get the music, but unfortunately, I suck at graphics. So I'd need replacenemt sprites for Link the fighter, Nabooru the Cleric, and Zelda the Mage. If anyone is interested in helping, let me know! I'd love to build a full Legend of Zelda game, and hopefully, with some graphics, this'll be a great Mod!

DoomRater, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Actually, and I could be wrong here, but I don't think the Korax mod is compatible with the Hexen equivalent of DeHackEd, so if he did that he wouldn't be able to give the enemies and weapons different behaviour.

I think you're right - JHeretic doesn't support HereHackEd, so it's probably true for Hexen. But Doomsday has the DED system (assuming it works with v0.99.6), so it might be possible with that. (if he wanted to do that of course)

The .ded files were included after .996. In fact, .996 is about as compatible to the latest JHexen versions as jalapeƱo peppers and sardines are to chocolate ice cream.

this sounds like an awsome idea :) I'd help, but I have no experience with editing Hexen whatsoever.

And I'd help, but I'm working on my own game for Hexen.

NiGHTMARE said:

DoomRater, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

That needs to be a tag.

EDIT: Holy cow, it is a tag, and I guessed it by accident. O_o Sweet!

Wow, everyone wants to help him but noone wanted to help me on zeldoom. hor-fucking-ray!

Ralphis said:

Wow, everyone wants to help him but noone wanted to help me on zeldoom. hor-fucking-ray!

I don't see anyone offering help, just sorries for not being able to.

Do it for Heretic. The monsters and weapons aren't THAAAT diferent of these of Zelda. Just replace the musics with midis from Zelda and, that's it. You can also design it for Zdoom, who support Hexen and Heretic, and allow you to use the hub system, and all of Hexen's goodies (and a lot more, like slopes, camaras, and several special efects).

I want to do it for Hexen, since I can rework all the characters to fit the current weapon designs. Stalfos reflecting shots etc...

And you're right. I need somethign to show wher I'm at. I'll get started on the WAD design right away. Time to borrow a Strategy guide (the map overlay will be quite similar to Hyrule until the gme is complete, whre Jenuckru Village and the final maps will be worked on.)

If you do it for ZDoom you can make it a Doom wad that way more people can play it, and still include both Hexen and Heretic objects and monsters. Not only that but you can make your OWN monsters (DeHacked) that reflect things or whatever.

Nanami said:

If you do it for ZDoom you can make it a Doom wad that way more people can play it, and still include both Hexen and Heretic objects and monsters. Not only that but you can make your OWN monsters (DeHacked) that reflect things or whatever.

Then I wouldn't have the choice to play as NAbooru or Zelda. Plus the whole overmap is NOT about fighting. If I did it straight out as Doom half the stuff I wanted to do to make this a LEgend of Zelda game would not work. The HUBs are designed to group houses together into one map, so that they all get the same bgmusic. Collecting the superweapon was also part of the game, althoguh this could have been worked around. Still, many objectives in the game could NOT be done with just Doom. ZDoom would help, but I wnat to be able to play as Link or Zelda or Nabooru, not just one of them.

Yeah, I need to get a WAD design up here so people can see what I'm doing.

EDIT: Yes, Nanami, I see what you're saying, but I have no experience with DeHackEd as of now, and I wnt to build a game using just what I know (or can learn really easily). Once I get a DeHackEd book I'll be able to do more comlex things like make powerful melee weapons in Doom but for now, the calss concept in Hexen is perfect.

That Doom idea will work when I want to build Saria into a video game. Always wanted to play as Saria. Maybe that explains the plushie I went through a lot of trouble to get. and trouble I still am getting.

PS: I am using ZDoom's enhanced tags. But I am using the Hexen.wad for the base.

DoomRater said:

The HUBs are designed to group houses together into one map, so that they all get the same bgmusic

You can make every sound in the entire wad have the same background music with your MAPINFO lump. Take a look at ZooM's mapinfo (some of it at least):

map LOUNGE "The Lounge"
levelnum 0
next 1
cluster 0
sky1 SKY1 0
music D_LOUNGE

map C1T7 "Mario Circuit 2"
levelnum 7
next LOUNGE
cluster 1
music D_MARIO2

Of course. I'm just saying that since the player won't be going into these 'levels' in a linear fashion, why not just group the houses into one level, basically as its own hub?

Example is lie this... Saria's House, Mido's house, Impa's house in Kakariko, a few other places are nothign more than houses. Why should each place take up its own level? If I ws doing huge levels with all the same music I'd use the mapinfo to do it. But here, since I eally don't need a map to get aorund a simple house, there's no need for more than one level with all the houses thrown into it.

NiGHTMARE said:

Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

*Me hopes i never cancel my projects*

DoomRater: ZDoom's hubs are based on Hexen's, so anything hub related you can do in Hexen you can also do in ZDoom (and there's some ZDoom only hub-related stuff too)

In fact, why not make your mod for ZDoom/Hexen rather than ZDoom/Doom or plain Hexen? That way you can use all the original Hexen features and ZDoom only stuff too (e.g. slopes, OGG/MP3 music, more ACS commands, Heretic and Doom enemies (with different graphics, obviously).

BlueSonnet: heh, lets hope not :) But if you do, at least post a message saying you have rather than silenty fade away and never be heard of again (like most people who announce projects on Doomworld do ;) )

DoomRater said:

PS: I am using ZDoom's enhanced tags. But I am using the Hexen.wad for the base.

NiGHTMARE, does this answer your question? I plan on using the ZDoom enhanced tags for Hexen. I am NOT using Doom or Heretic at all for this. A future project perhaps, but this I am taking advantage of ZDoom and Hexen.

Gokuma asked:
I thought Zelda was a ninja?

Her alter-ego, Sheik, is. But if you play Super Smash Bros Melee, you can see she behaves more like a mage. She is often called 'the 7th sage'. Of course who knows if sage and mage can be used interchangibly... but the point I'm making here is that I have a clear idea who will be filling the roles of each character- Link will replace the fighter, Nabooru will replce the cleric, etc.

This is actually where I'll need help at. I stink at getting graphics, and will need skins to replace the fighter, cleric, and mage with Link, Nabooru, and Zelda respectively. The rest I'm able to do, even the recordings of voices. I'm not too sure about what goes where though, as far as the weapons go. They will mosy certainly behave as they did. But Link wears leather gauntlets, and uses the master sword, not some srummy axe or hammer. The Megaton HAmmer is slower than the Master sword, but the swrod has a projectile by tradition. So I am undecided which weapon will go where when it's all done. anything else I can bring up later... I should be concentrating on learning the scripting language a bit better. And of course building the levels Legend of Zelda style.

My goal here is to create a Legend of Zelda clone, NOT a Doom/Hexen clone. So of course I'll have those proper ingredients. But I should invest into cinemas and scripting (eg I'd like one of the other two to help you on your quest every now and then. Link aka the Zedek thing attacks the enemy to help you defeat an overwhelming number of opponents! Then instructs you on what to do next...)

I'd be interested in helping out.. although I can't do graphics or sounds.. I'd be willing to be a mapper [edit]and scripter[/edit], but I would like to see that you've made some headway on your own, first. Maybe a short demo wad, showing off the basic design and other things you want.

Ralphis said:

I said i'd help :P

And before anyone starts flaming Grimm, DeHackEd stuff CAN be used in Hexen, if you're using ZDoom. Only for the Doom enemies/weapons/projectiles/decorations though.

I'm not planning on flamming Grimm, but I won't need ANY DeHackEd patches for this. All new weapons will work as they currently do for each class. I just need to make up my mind on Master Sword or Megaton Hammer for second and third slots for Link... I'd like to know what you guys think about this first!

Fighter's currents weapons are like this. The second slot is charged by mana. Hitting a thing (not walls) will drain 2 mana from it. when it is empty, it will only do half damage. The third weapon is a ranged/melee combo. If it connectswith something (anythign in this case) it will not shoot a projectile. If it does not hit anything a projectile comes from it, costing 3 mana. this thing is much like a sized down rocket that does not hurt you with splash damage. it also causes thigns to use the burn frames if they have such frames. ALso it swings much more slowly than the second weapon.

So, which weapon should go where? The Master sword often has a projectile, where the hammer is much slower....

The current setup (default Hexen weapons) seems fine. The Quietus (Master Sword) always has proectile, even when enemies are up close. When you run out of mana, you can't use it at all. It isn't like Timon's Axe, where you can still use it after it's drained. In Legend of Zelda (up to A Link to the Past at least), the sword only shoots a projectile when you are at full health, and there's no way to create that effect with Dehacked or Hex, but you might be able to with JDoom .ded or .dll source code editing.

So, which weapon should go where?

For Link, replace the fists with the Wooden Sword(from the original Zelda, or a regular gauntlet punch, but I don't really see Link punching...), Timon's Axe with the Kokiri Sword, and the fighter's hammer with the Master Sword. The Master Sword is an integral part of the series, so it should be readily available and usable(after acquiring it, of course). Quetius, the fighter's sword, could be some thing like Biggoron's Sword, although that doesn't fire projectiles... maybe a new/other magic weapon?

Presumably this means the new enemies will behave the same as the originals too.