Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #137

Thank you Simo Malinen for wasting my time by uploading sixteen different zips which should have been combined into one wad. Your marvelous tactic has made me scream my head off for having to sort out thirty-one zips, including five old wads which I ignored and two of my own work. Normally I would of not ignored all of your zips, but certain hardware difficulties with my own computer has forced me to not review your wads.

Anyway, I couldn't do this alone (I'm on my mother's computer, she's not exactly happy with me using it), so I asked the help of SargeBaldy and a rather intoxicated BBG to reduce my stress a bit. 7 single player wads (two of which are multilevel wads), two deathmatch wads (one of which has twelve levels) and one IPX utility makes up this wonderful week of /newstuff.

• Benny Hill - Bill Henny
    57kb - ZDoom 2.0.47 - N/A(img)
    Avoid. Don't ignore this one-word review or else you'll feel even more bored than when you played burger.wad. That's how boring this is.

• Dark Nexus Map01: THe Entry - Kuberr (Melfice Darkmage)
    53kb - Doom.exe - SP(img) (img)
    Reviewed by SargeBaldy (I don't have enough time downloading the DooM64 TC):

A pwad making use of the Doom 64 TC (link to http://doom2.net/~elbryan/abs-download.html), the Dark Nexus Demo is a simple but entertaining little map with low detail and very easy gameplay. Still it plays through rather quickly, and if you want to know what to expect from Dark Nexus, this is a brief little sneak peak. A few errors, but only the kind a more picky observer like myself would care about, such as a few x-misalignments and some DOORTRAKs that move with the door. Not a bad map, but not really for everyone.

• Escape from phobos Demo - The TLSDM Team
    35kb - Doom.exe - SP(img) (img) (img) (img)
    From the authors of "Blizzard.wad, Tlsdm.wad, Tlsdm2.wad & Zd_patch.wad, Redalert.wad, Tlsdm2k3.wad, Chronoring.wad, Chronotown,wad, Powerplant.wad, Iceage.wad, Drav35.wad, Drav35dm.wad, Drav35d2.wad, Drav35d3.wad, Lamedoom.wad, Markdeath.wad, Churchofsatan.wad, Erdeherz.wad, SewageDM.wad, Nintendo.wad, and a shitload of other files we can't keep track of...", comes a really brilliant 'Prelude to Doom'-type wad. I swear to god, I have seen billions of these Doom prelude wads before, but none of them (well, barely any of them) can surpass the sheer brilliance of this particular wad. Although the opening cinematic takes forever, and there's not really much action in this demo, this episode really kicks some serious ass. It oozes storyline everywhere, plus a spectacular detailing job. The first level has no monsters, but it easily makes up for it in the second. It's not really that hard, but ammo is a bit scarce. This was is definitely something worth looking at in the near future (when it's finished). A must download for you ZDoom freaks.

• Greasy Z-Sloth - Derrick A. Allen
    450kb - ZDoom 2.0.47 - SP(img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by BBG:

This map is a mixture of base, hellish areas, rocky mazes and an O of Destruction rip-off / tribute. Kinda tough, but if you keep your wits about you, you'll come through it ok. It seems, however, every area you enter triggers a Goddamn scripted sequence that shows you everything from where the key is to what monster(s) may be teleporting around to rip you apart, because, you know, that whole suspense and wondering thing really sucks. The ammo isn't tight, but the health is, so make sure not to get banged up too much. Jumping needs to be enabled.

• IPXSETUP for CTF Doom - John Cole
    16kb - CTF Doom - DM
    This description from the text file pretty much sums this program up:

A source modification of id Software's IPXSETUP that allows you to select the name of the game EXE the utility will run as well as what machine will use what player color. The first feature is quite useful for using DeHackEd modified EXEs on multi-player mode without having to rename the EXE to a standard name (either doom or doom2) and the second is useful for switching Player colors during DM or Coop, given the fact that the different Players "lag" differently. This utility was originally part of one of the CTFDoom distribution packages.

This program is made for DOS, so you XP users should keep away from it, as DOS is evil. Very eviiiil. It'll rip your GUI heart out and replace it with SMMU -textmode. That's how evil it is. Yeah.
  • Isis - Andy "Mystic" Mckie
    2.4mb - Legacy 1.41 - SP(img) (img)
    Following the success (not really) of Doom Raider comes Isis, an egyptian-themed Legacy wad by Mystic which shows off some of the 1.41 features, like tall textures and segment violations. As I just mentioned, there's a few places where it just segment violates for no reason that I can see. Maybe it's because the BSP builder that Mystic used is somewhat horrible. I dunno. Anyway, the detailing in this (from what I saw) is quite good, and the gameplay is also decent. Ammo placement is very good, but some powerups are just too easy to obtain. Another thing I really hated about this map is that the underwater sectors are not coloured, which makes the map a lot less realisitc than it seems. Still, the new textures are good (probably "borrowed" from somewhere though) and the map is very detailed, but those damn segment violations are quite a pain in the ass. Also, it's recommended to use the good ole -mb feature, since I forgot to the first time I played this and it told me to allocate more. So in a nutshell, I'll tell you to download this if you love tall textures and segment violations.

• Ni'mRoD - IXNAY on the HOMBRE - UNHOLY software
    7.5mb - Legacy - SP(img) (img)
    Ahh, this has to be the most popular Legacy wad around. If any Legacy hater needs a reason to download Legacy, this has to be it. Even though it was only uploaded this week (bug fix), and you all know how much I hate old wads, but hey, this is one of the few exceptions that I tend to make every now and then.

Nimrod is a partial conversion set in the... something universe where evil marines and arachnotrons shoot at you and stuff. You have to locate stuff and do heaps of puzzles, which are a real pain in the ass for clueless people (like me, who prefers DM maps), but the atmosphere that this wad contains has a rather creepy vibe to it. MAP01 seems pretty much empty, but then again, so is your ammo capacity. There seems to be something wrong with the dehacked patch though, as the first frame of the weapon is meant to the be on the previous weapon. You'll see what I mean when you select the fist and it changes from the normal fist to some mechanoid fist. Still, like I said earlier, due to hardware problems I couldn't find out what the bug fixes are. Ignoring that, I urge you to download this immediately, or else you'll never know what the definition of "good legacy wad" is.
  • Real World - Alexis Neuhaus
    756kb - Doom2.exe - SP(img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    This is an update to 8pack which was reviewed last week by Cyb. Therefore, my review is only based on MAP09-MAP20. You have been warned.

Wow, this is really amazing stuff. Cyb pointed out that the author is 13 years old, though it doesn't mention it anywhere in this text file. For a 13 year old however, this is seriously top-notch quality. The detailing ranges from great to excellent, and that's something I usually try to not pay attention to. It's very nice and the lighting is very detailed, but it doesn't affect the gameplay (thank god) in any way. Speaking about gameplay, this is literally single player perfection. Monster and ammo placement are great, but health is a bit lacking, so you can't exactly attempt to punch a baron and then look for a nearby megasphere. I noticed that the maps are heavily inspired by Final Doom and Ultimate Doom maps. So yeah, if you love Final Doom-style maps, then I urge you to download this now.

• Unidoom DM 2 - Ralph Vickers, Dean "deathz0r" Joseph, Chrono
    1,864kb - Doom2.exe compatible - DM(img) (img) (img) (img)
    Reviewed by SargeBaldy:

Carnevil eventually decided it was okay for Unidoom to use Skulltag resources, and this was uploaded shorty thereafter. Followup to the popular DM mapset UDM1, UDM2 is basically just more of the same. Eleven quality deathmatch arenas to battle your buddies on, pretty much your standard DM fare. Pretty good detail and lighting for the most part, and most maps look pretty well-balanced. Although one of the authors didn't seem aware DOORTRAK looks rather silly unless you unpeg wall below. I suppose that hardly matters in deathmatch anyway. Anyway, you should definitely get this if deathmatch is your thing.

Useless pile of info from deathz0r: I said that it is Doom2.exe compatible, because some areas cause VPOs, especially on MAP09 and MAP01 (if you play it in single player (something I forgot to sort out)). Also, go play MAP32! =P

• You can't hide! - Dean "deathz0r" Joseph
    45kb - Doom2.exe - DM(img)
    Reviewed by SargeBaldy:

The most pointless map ever created. A 96x96 block room with an exit and no x-alignment. I didn't find it remotely amusing myself. Read the text file if you must, but there's no reason to waste your time loading this.

Useless pile of info from deathz0r: Hey, everybody has their critics.

fp!

Damn there's a lot this time around. Hoorj for deathz0r!

mother fucker... I'm gonna stab deathzor

hold on a sec, fixing it...

deathz0r said:

There seems to be something wrong with the dehacked patch though, as the first frame of the weapon is meant to the be on the previous weapon. You'll see what I mean when you select the fist and it changes from the normal fist to some mechanoid fist.

The guy is half robot, so I think that one hand is normal and one is robotic.

I've played one of Simo Malinen's maps so far (dl_nutek). Kind of nicely done - good flow, connectivity and variety, but the traps and monsters weren't quite dangerous enough for my taste, and maybe there's a bit more ammo than really needed. Nice for those who like to chew their way quickly through the monsters. If his other maps are of a similar quality, I'd say he's pretty talented.

Regarding RW and 8pack: the eight maps from 8pack are not maps 01-08 of RW - they are spread throughout the wad in some way (e.g. RW map20 was in 8pack). I'm not sure exactly how (might be maps 13-20, for all I know), since I didn't download 8pack in time. In any case, very highly recommended.

Of the three aboo wads that I uploaded, I'd guess Doomstone is likely to have the widest appeal, while Shoreleave has the most "cutesy" features.

Oh, and I could have had fp, but couldn't be bothered. Anyway, mad propz to all dead penis birds, or something.

alright all the links are to the proper maps now

SITUATION AVERTED!

tp, scripts in games, a reason to play doom. One, two. Ok maybe they worked in some, undying...and let's hope for doom3.
But why using scipts, even without zdoom has more features then doom3.

I thought door tracks were supposed to beable to move with doors, heh.

Anyways, I'm working on fixing up another demo of Dark Nexus thats longer, harder, and more promising than this level. I mainly released The Entry as a demo because a while back, you may remember when I released this level for ZDoom with an mp3 in it (but It wasn't in /newstuff), and the level had been using DSV4 textures and monsters, etc. So this is in a way redeeming that level.

The next release is a level called "The Doomsday Project." (no pun intended, being that it's on JDoom). I plan for it to be a secret level in Dark Nexus.

That Banzai ad is very annoying, slightly more annoying than playing hell-o.wad a dozen times while having your fingernails ripped out one at a time.

wtf are segment violations?? are they the little speckles on the edge of textures sometimes (worse in low res)??

deathz0r said:

Thank you Simo Malinen for wasting my time by uploading sixteen different zips which should have been combined into one wad. Your marvelous tactic has made me scream my head off for having to sort out thirty-one zips, including five old wads which I ignored and two of my own work. Normally I would of not ignored all of your zips, but certain hardware difficulties with my own computer has forced me to not review your wads.

The TLSDM Team
35kb - Doom.exe - SPFrom the authors of "Blizzard.wad, Tlsdm.wad, Tlsdm2.wad & Zd_patch.wad, Redalert.wad, Tlsdm2k3.wad, Chronoring.wad, Chronotown,wad, Powerplant.wad, Iceage.wad, Drav35.wad, Drav35dm.wad, Drav35d2.wad, Drav35d3.wad, Lamedoom.wad, Markdeath.wad, Churchofsatan.wad, Erdeherz.wad, SewageDM.wad, Nintendo.wad, and a shitload of other files we can't keep track of...", comes a really brilliant 'Prelude to Doom'-type wad. I swear to god, I have seen billions of these Doom prelude wads before, but none of them (well, barely any of them) can surpass the sheer brilliance of this particular wad. Although the opening cinematic takes forever, and there's not really much action in this demo, this episode really kicks some serious ass. It oozes storyline everywhere, plus a spectacular detailing job. The first level has no monsters, but it easily makes up for it in the second. It's not really that hard, but ammo is a bit scarce. This was is definitely something worth looking at in the near future (when it's finished). A must download for you ZDoom freaks.

COUGH The TLSDM Team DIDNT MAKE HALF OF THOSE WADS.Drav35.wad, Drav35dm.wad, Drav35d2.wad, Drav35d3.wad, Lamedoom.wad,and Markdeath.wad, were all made by The lame clan editing team.

NOT TLSDM. They are in no way shape or form accociated with TLSDM.

KTHXDIE!

WHACHU DOING, CREZY MAN?

I really enjoyed Real World last week and plan to try Escape from Phobos soon. Wee, promising surprise projects.

mystic said:

wtf are segment violations?? are they the little speckles on the edge of textures sometimes (worse in low res)??

segment violations are when the program essentially does something freaky with the memory that it's not supposed to do (without getting too technical) which causes the program to crash and burn.

mystic said:

Nope - they're annoying crashes (usually for no apparent reason) that are the bane of Legacy (but usually restricted to Legacy-specific maps). They can be reduced by using a later version. (eg. v1.40 runs Nimrod with fewer crashes than 1.32b5 does)

I er, uh... kinda liked bennyh.wad

*hangs head in shame

Edit: Okay I just played canthide.wad
What the hell was that?

Assmaster said:

Edit: Okay I just played canthide.wad
What the hell was that?

A DM wad to get rid of annoying campers and snipers.

Ok, so, if there's one thing I need to download this week, what is it?

meh, I hate big maps, they piss me off. Small quick ones are good though, I never get bored of those.

Does age really matter when it comes to the skill of mappers? I mean.. I'm only 14 and I make pretty detailed maps.. Unfortuneately the only ones that got reviewed were a couple of my sucky wads :P

EDIT: Nimrod is woot.

BBG said:

first drunken post!

coulda fooled me, i thought your first post on this thread was done while you were still drunk.

mmm, first post by someone with a set of wings-on-a-harness. (no, i can't use them to fly - they just look funny.)

Mancubus II said:

fp!

Damn there's a lot this time around. Hoorj for deathz0r!

Props to all logged in Mancubi. These have chocolate beans in, I know you'll like them.

c00kie5.jpg