Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laguna

Need help testing Q3 maps

Well, this time what I'm doing is legal, so I've decided to do a "high-tech" port of Doom's E1M1 to Quake3, and so far it looks pretty snazzy, but I need someone to help me with the Beta Testing.

Anyone wanna help? I'd appreciate it.

AJS22522 on AIM.

:) Well the map is still in its infancy stages, but when it is done I'll be sure to send you a copy.

Be warned, I am unsure of its quality, being that it's been a while since I've mapped for Q3A, what I think is cool may seem tacky to you. lol

Andy, send me screenies, I'll host them. I don't have Quake 3 Arena installed ATM and I dunno where the hell my CD key is.

Well I've been away for a while (I say this a lot).

I came up with a halfway _decent_ chair prefab to use in my maps... Though I am unsure whether it will look well or not... Heh.

I would love to upload screenshots, but right now all I have is some conglomerated mass of fecal matter for a map, being as I have been paying (regrettably) more attention to detail than I have the actual flow of the map itself, but, well, contradicting that statement, I have re-dimensioned the map to accomodate player height and allow free movement. I am thinking I MIGHT just remove all doors to make the map flow a little more smoothly since it is a different game.

New things to note:

* The "Zig-Zag" hallway will be a zig-zag walkway. There will be a teleporter to another part of the map underneath the walkway, as well as a goodie of some sort. Watch your steps, though, I have put some toxic mist stuff on the very bottom of the steps which covers 8 Z GUs (Game Units) on the Z aspect.

* What would be a small corridor with dividers which makes the exit is going to be a lobby with some high-tech elevator-type tubes.

* The courtyard is a large patch mesh constructed to hold terrain, with water, and a rocket launcher. No toxic ooze this time, folks. Sorry.

* The second room (which opens the wall out to the courtyard) has become a more realistic "Computer room" with computers along the walls, terminals, monitors, etc... And the small cubicle in the middle is now a speech-box of sorts.

* Will have a good framerate whilst playing, I will run q3map2 with all extra options which encourage a high framerate during the final compile.

Any ideas, or suggestions?

I've made the previously inaccessible courtyard area (near Green armor in UD) accessible. It is now a large, LARGE patch of LOD terrain (but made of Bezier patches from GenSurf) which has a small pool in it, at the end is a medium-sized complex which houses a small armory.

I know it seems pretty stupid to ask about it here, but since this is a Doom map port, I'd assume any Doom loving person could tell a guy what they'd like to see in a port of a popular Doom DM level.

Fuck knows.... keep the layout the same, but embellish it with the detailing. How's the lighting going, since that's usually the hardest part in these kinds of conversions?

The lighting isn't too bad. I've tried to keep most of the lighting to surface-based lights (via shader usage), with the exception of the monitors in the cubicles, since for some reason the shaders did not give off light from the monitors themselves.

The chairs are fucking huge. I'll probably just take the cubicles out.

=====================UPDATE===========================================
A while back, my HD was wiped out with all my work. Luckily, this time around, I have made backups of my NEW project, Phobos Base #2.

Phobos Base #2 WILL include my previous work, but the only change is that it is an entire base (think, fundamentally E1M1-E1M9 in one map file). So far I am working on station #1, which is a routing station for toxic waste to go to the refinery, and back to the nuclear power plant which powers the base. Other things included:

Central Reactor
Toxin Refinery
Barracks
An Observatory
Reception Area (maybe)
Hangar... Will be changed to accomodate theme, but not too much
Firing Range
Obstacle Course
Mess Hall
Defense Bunker

Big chunk of work cut out for me... Let's see if I can actually do it... :P

Though, I do have a compiled pre-pre-pre-pre-pre beta, which is really just the first station and the maintenance ducts... The ducts are very nice though, using some custom-tailored square cylinders and patch meshes to make it aesthetically pleasing.

It also has .AAS support for a quick botmatch, but it's fucking NUTS!

The story on the Phobos Base #2:

Union Aerospace Corporation built the new Phobos Base to house marines and scientists for deep space exploration and gate travel. A defensive bunker was put in to protect the inhabitants, should an invasion become possible or from possible asteroid impacts. The base is fully self-sufficient, relying on nuclear power to maintain adequate levels of electric service. Wastes are refined to usable energy sources, to keep the plant running on a perpetual loop. The waste is routed through the pipelines from fuel stations and back to the fission core.

Not bad, eh? The reason I wrote a short summary of the map is because, for some reason, having a story behind a map, it kind of helps me build the level.