Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

Argh, need passwords for old Doom zips

I have two zips I can't remember the passwords for:
zombeta.zip (Zombie Doom beta released as-is after auther lost his latest work. The xoom hosted webpage is gone of course)
fbet.zip (MBF-based Fusion beta)

I remember some passwords used but none work for these two zips.

According to Doomworld's source port section a version of Fusion was actually publically released but unfortunately the link is dead. I was beta-tester but when I lost an e-mail address I lost contact with Hakx.

Double thanks Ichor.

If anyone has the password for fbet.zip that would still be nice to have though.

BBG said:

Try getting a brute-force program that doesn't suck

An unzipping program that ignores password protection and just rips out of the files? I've been using WinRAR and old dos pkzip/unzip.

I couldn't find the fbet.zip password, but that link I posted just now does go to the new Fusion website.

Gokuma said:

An unzipping program that ignores password protection and just rips out of the files? I've been using WinRAR and old dos pkzip/unzip.

No, brute-force basically tries to crack the password. Anything above 6 characters (out of 25 possible) would take a long time though. By long time I mean anywhere from months to years.

Gokuma said:

Brute force is a program that essentially goes:

a

No?

b

No?

aa

No?

ab

No?

Although there are a lot more creative and complicated ones out there.

yeah brute force takes it's sweet fucking time, days once on my old PC iirc.

I did post the zip file.

I got the other password I was looking for.
Thanks Mewse.

Brute force is a program that essentially goes:

a

No?

b

No?

aa

No?

ab

No?

Although there are a lot more creative and complicated ones out there.

If you had a fast processor that would probably go by pretty fast, eh? Brute Force is kinda a misleading name though . . .

Grimm said:

If you had a fast processor that would probably go by pretty fast, eh?

True, but some passwords include numbers or symbols. So if it's a 10 letter password with 40 possible characters, it might take a while.

i ran both files through a brute forcer, the fusion beta took 7ms to crack because the password was only three characters. i was kinda startled when i had just clicked "run" and the "file has been cracked" window popped up.

then i ran zombeta through, just to see how long it would take. a little more than five minutes to find the 5-char password. pretty decent i think.

Dang, that Zombie Doom beta is actually kind of cool. And by kind of, I mean really. It's too bad the project has been terminated, because this would have been a really cool TC.

Grimm said:

Heh, could you give that to me in hertz? I don't know Athalon.

I think thats 2.6 ghz although I'm not positive thats the way it works

Damn, that kinda sucks. I see no good reason why Brute Force shouldn't just zip through :P

This Zombie Beta thingie's resources are free to use, right?