Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

A Cautionary Tale

Dale Tudge, editor of The Toque, an online magazine dedicated to Canadian humor and satire, has sent in a link to an article they posted this week on one gamer's struggles with cyclic addiction to computer games. After suffering through the Quake games and Diablo, the man has learned his lesson, and is preparing in advance to weather the storm of Doom 3.

Looks like someone has a serious priority problem. I can just imagine what this guy would do if his hard drive crashed.

Wow, that guy makes me feel good about myself. Thanks for brightening the day for all semi-losers, Arioch!

Arioch said:
Dale Tudge, editor of The Toque, an online magazine dedicated to Canadian humor and satire, has sent in a link to an article they posted this week on one gamer's struggles with cyclic addiction to computer games. After suffering through the Quake games and Diablo, the man has learned his lesson, and is preparing in advance to weather the storm of Doom 3.

That's all a bunch of fscking bullshit; Kiki and I broke up cause she had to go back to Japan, and the problems at college were thanks to the mono I caught last spring ... And I never had a part-time job at Walmart. There even isn't one around my way ... sheesh!

Next time, get your fscking facts straight, Dale!

Off topic: What's with this stupid ad that covers the whole top of the screen and you can't get rid of it?

AgentSpork said:

Off topic: What's with this stupid ad that covers the whole top of the screen and you can't get rid of it?

More and more advertisers seem to be doing that. A borderless instance of ie with no obvious way to close it (the usual Ctrl-Alt-Del etc methods will get it).

What I don't understand is why people think that causing me inconvenience is going to make me want to visit their site, pay for their services or buy what they are selling. I know I have never visited a site from an advert that has "popped up" or taken over my computer. I guess some lamers do, and only a small percentage doing so out of the millions who see the advert makes it worth while.

Heh, another article stated...

At school, Scotty gets along with approximately half of the students, and distrusts anyone not wearing his "colours". Other students will look at him strangely, because he walks in an unusual manner, "strafing" from side to side in hallways, and peeking around corners. He can often be heard muttering the word "owned" between classes.
"That kid is a freak," said Shelly Marsden, girl-next-door, talking about Scotty. "He runs to school and thinks that jumping and running will make him go faster. When he gets to school, he stands beside the flagpole until the bell rings. What a geek."

Enjay said:

More and more advertisers seem to be doing that. A borderless instance of ie with no obvious way to close it (the usual Ctrl-Alt-Del etc methods will get it).

What I don't understand is why people think that causing me inconvenience is going to make me want to visit their site, pay for their services or buy what they are selling. I know I have never visited a site from an advert that has "popped up" or taken over my computer. I guess some lamers do, and only a small percentage doing so out of the millions who see the advert makes it worth while.

Yeah, I've never willingly clicked a pop-up, but I have willingly clicked quite a few banner ads.

And I thought I was addicted to computer games. Sheesh.

Little Faith said:

Yeah, I've never willingly clicked a pop-up, but I have willingly clicked quite a few banner ads.

Yeah, banner ads may not be pretty or fit in with the page they are on (most of the time) but they don't really cause anyone grief. Someone has to pay the bills, so I'm not against advertising. There are honest ways of doing it, that you don't mind being there and you may even click, and there are fekkin annoying ways that just piss everyone off.

I did hear that there was a move afoot to increase the standard size of banner ads. Presumably advertisers don't think the old size is big enough with most of us having higher resolution screens these days.

The Flange Peddler said:

Uh... You guys do know what 'humor and satire' are right?

Apparently not.

Humor:The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
Satire: A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.

Sorry.. Had to do it :P

humor, n.

Moisture, especially, the moisture or fluid of animal bodies, as the chyle, lymph, etc.; as, the humors of the eye, etc.

Note: The ancient physicians believed that there were four humors (the blood, phlegm, yellow bile or choler, and black bile or melancholy), on the relative proportion of which the temperament and health depended.

Also a mispelling of the word 'humour', originated by possibly illiterate immigrants.

satire, n.

a dish filled with various kinds of fruits, food composed of various ingredients, a mixture, a medley.

Assmaster said:

At school, Scotty gets along with approximately half of the students, and distrusts anyone not wearing his "colours". Other students will look at him strangely, because he walks in an unusual manner, "strafing" from side to side in hallways, and peeking around corners. He can often be heard muttering the word "owned" between classes.
"That kid is a freak," said Shelly Marsden, girl-next-door, talking about Scotty. "He runs to school and thinks that jumping and running will make him go faster. When he gets to school, he stands beside the flagpole until the bell rings. What a geek."

No to be a geek, but the article sez Quake2 while the picture is obviously from Quake3 ...

=)

Never_Again said:

Assmaster said:

No to be a geek, but the article sez Quake2 while the picture is obviously from Quake3 ...

=)

Quote your replies please

Sign in to follow this