Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deldelda

how do YOU pronounce "gif"?

.GIF = Graphic Interchange Format, so "Gee Eye Eff" is perfectly valid.
Jif, like the peanut butter, sounds fucking ridiculous.
I personally say Giff (hard G). It's quicker and doesn't sound fucking stupid.

Last time this was discussed someone pointed out that "jiff" should be the proper pronounciation, but since g is never used as a "j" sound in my language I stick with the "gift-t".

I pronouce it like gift, only without the t. I didn't think there was any other way of pronouncing it.

oops, i meant to hit gif but i hit jif instead. oh well. I think i say both depending on what i feel like saying? I'm tired

I used to say Gif (hard G) because that's how it's spelled. Then I read an FAQ from CompuServe (this was many years ago) and they said it was jiff. Silly, but I guess compuserve should know.

Heh, I voted for jiff, and that's how I prefer to pronounce it, but really, I never liked that word to begin with, so generally I just try to avoid saying it whenever possible, because I never liked not knowing which was correct. As for png, I call it pong.

I always imagined it as a hard g, but then I heard someone in the web design industry pronounce it "jif".

Ralphis said:

i meant to hit gif but i hit jif instead

Votes amended accordingly.

geekmarine said:

...As for png, I call it pong.

I call it png. It's hard to say, a word without vowels. I say it just like it is, png. Like pung, but I say the "u" REALLY FAST. Png. You'll find yourself saying it for no reason whatsoever.

I say png like ping. It just sounds like a i belongs there rather than a o or a u. To me anyway.

deldelda said:

I call it png. It's hard to say, a word without vowels.

Well, "pwn" is easy enough to say, so I don't see why "png" should be any more difficult.