Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord FlatHead

Doom 3 Bathroom Scene Screenshot

Wow, I don't know how Lord Flathead manages to get this stuff! How on earth did someone manage to get such a highres video of the presentation (presumably going against the ban against cameras), and yet we don't have a decent audio recording of the speech? :( Good grief, these guys must be proffesional undercover agents or something.

Anyway, it's a beautiful shot, Lord Flathead-- if a superbly rendered image of a zombie knawing a bloody corpse could be called beautiful. Thanks!

All credit goes to whoever scanned the picture and put it up at a Geocities site (which got its bandwidth fried in a matter of minutes, of course). I'm just the messenger.

I think the actual video will be a LOT blurrier and lower quality.

Just by looking at the one screenshot you can tell the game is going to have a certain atmosphere to it.

I remember back when the original doom came out and people said "Damn! that looks realisitc" because it was years ahead of anything before it.

By today's standards it looks extremely dated. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I'm hoping that Doom 3 will be the game that you can still gawk at in disbelief, five, or ten years down the road.

I'm hoping that Doom 3 will be the game that you can still gawk at in disbelief, five, or ten years down the road.

I'm not sure if this can happen again...

I'm not sure if this can happen again...

I take it you mean that Doom 3 will be one of those (extremely few) games that will still look good 10 years from now?

oh man...it's pictures like this that will make the wait more difficult to endure, on the other hand, can't wait to see more.

Their lighting is definately alright - I haven't seen such a moody lighting setup since Dark City about 3 years ago - but they better get some nicer-looking enemy models.

WTF is wrong with that enemy ? I personally like it... can't wait to dent that big white neck with a couple of rifle bullets...

If anyone has Gamestar magazine or the other screenshots, please send them somewhere for us to look at them. Preferable Doomcenter - that's where the original shot is.

It would be incredibly naive to believe something like that. Computers evolve! Things get better! This is what every naive person says when something new comes out. Oh, this is the one that will look incredible five or ten years down the road! Come on. The evolution of technology has never slowed down. To suggest that we'll still gawk at it even six months after it comes out, let alone ten years, is to suggest that the advancement of computer graphics would stop. Seems pretty irrational to me.

But... look at it. It's photo-realistic. I can't think of any major improvements than can be made after this - the lighting was the last big hurdle for the programmers to overcome. Maybe in a while video cards will be so fast they can do two or three lighting passes over the world on every frame - so we could get radiosity calculations in.

The blood looks fucking awesome!! Makes me wonder what demon this is... From the way it's standing there, I'd say it's a improved Pigdemon or something. Though his head doesn't come close to the original pigdemon's head at all. BTW, Imagine this in normal quality. In other words, it looks even better when you'll see it in MPEG-format!

The lighting is supposed to be directly over the heart of the corpse, with an elevation of about 6 ft. based on MOST of the shadows. I think the lighting needs to be fine tuned a little more if the "in the dark, shit stained pants" feeling is going to hold true with photo-realistic renders. However, given the fact that this is brand new hardware[which comes with a brand new set of functions], the finished product is gonna kick ass!!! If this is just preliminary, give it two months AND THEN we'll be talkin' shit stains...

O.k, now to my comment on the pic itself:

This my friends is photorealistic!

We waited long enough for this kind of graphics to come but the wait is over!

The New DOOM Game will revolutionise the way we think about graphics forever!

Think about it, this is a LOW QUALITY picture taken with a camera and it still manages to look photorealistic!!

I can only imagine what will the game look like in it's finished form...

Today my friends, we entered a new era of gaming, an era ruled again by the one and the only, Id Software!

uh, we entered this realm of shit-stained, sleep-deprived, demon-destroying, satan-stompin', BFG-handlin', battle-hardened space marine combat; situated in an ultra realistic, mind-numbing, rocket-dodging arena filled with many sorts of fecal-tossing, jaw-snapping, fire-ball wielding assholes with one thing on their mind: world domination-- almost ten years ago. and then id came out with their first success...a precursor to what Carmack and Romero originally envisioned: all this and more...oh yeah--- and you can't even imagine what it'll look like when it's done...

IS THIS AN ACTUAL PIC OF THE PINK DEMON BATHROOM SCENE ???!!
IS this how the 3D version of the pink demon gonna look!?!
I'm not gonna front, The surrounding area and the dark shading, smeared blood on the tile and stuff looks beautiful. BUT "THIS" is definitely not what I imagine the DooM3 pink demon would look!!! Are you sure this not a pic
from a scene in PS2's "SILENT HILL 2"? Because I sure as hell hope so,the demon is one of the most celebrated monsters of the entire doom cast!! And one of"MY"personal favorite monsters too. The monster I see on this pic, And the monster I see on the old sprite form have very little or "NOTHING"in common!! The demon havn't been upgraded to 3D, It's been completely TRANSFORMED!!! And DAMMIT!! I DON'T LIKE WHAT I SEE!!!!I'm not saying that this new creature sucks, It looks cool,pretty intresting,BUT OHHH GOD,and FATE!!! please do not let that creature be the upgraded 3D version of the(PIG BULL)pink demon. Because if it is, I'm going to be extremely dissapointed!!!

AndrewB-

I realize that there's practically an exponential advancement in computer graphics. But, I will say that that screenshot (however blurry) looks pretty damn close to reality.

Look at the current state of Doom3 graphics...

>>>The geometry is as good as it will get.

You can't really improve on the geometry. Curved surfaces have been done back in the Q3 engine. There aren't any objects in existence in the real world today that COULDN'T be represented realistically in the engine.

>>>The lighting

It looks pretty damn close to reality for me. Let me know when you can find a way to light a scene, that is more realistic than what you see in the screenshot. Then we'll talk.

As Lord FlatHead said the lighting was the big hurdle to overcome. The lighting is what is going to separate the "beautifully rendered" games from the photorealistic looking ones.

>>>Textures

This is the only room for improvement. Better textures. You've already got the most advanced lighting and geometry EVER, and it looks REALISTIC, but not the way that DooM in 1993 looked "realistic."

So when something is modeled realistically, and light realistically, textures are the only way to improve upon it's appearance.

Think about it, this is a LOW QUALITY picture taken with a camera and it still manages to look photorealistic!!

Uh, that's probably why - it's so bad you can't see any cheesy CGI-ish stuff.

'cept the demon.

Can somebody confirm that this was presented at quakecon, I don't know but do I see 'real' shadows here ?

these are "real shadows", whereas there are processed on the fly...in-engine...not pre-rendered. The bump-mapping on the textures is not such that you get the feeling of "leathery demon guy chompin' on my spleen". Understand? If I put a wart on the demons chin, it will get shaded-almost perfectly[in time, my son, in time]...the Geforce3 with its advanced API's let's us do this in real-time albeit at 30fps or whatever...damn well right now...

[Movies are projected at 32fps and depending on how much stimulant you've consumed before you go to the movies, you can SEE framerates...all this is a different thread.]

...But THE DEMON HAS NO WARTS!!! He's got plane-jane textured skin which is producing a shadow with a couple of protruding things from his back. Everygame being produced for the Geforce3 right now has that!!! If id wants to "take into the next ten years" or whatever, they're gonna have to do better than this!!! With a one year head-start--- I WANT MORE!!!!

I've watched FPS's evolve from friggin' stick figured rastorizastions to animated sprites[DooM] to actual jumping sprites[WOW!!!]. I'm not gonna see this genre get DooMed by it's own creator. and since he's so secretive, it's hard to get any of this across directly to him[anyone know anyone??]. He's gonna make a game that blows away ANYTHING BEFORE IT---BUT---this HAS to be a game that blows away everything AFTER IT as well...

If that broken tile was made from the demon stommpin' on the live[dead] guy, then this picture has served it's purpose.

Stop bitching about the Demon. I would have been disappointed if they just made a conversion of the original sprite.

Look at it in the movie: it's like ten foot tall, it moves around fast, it has a big mouth and no visible eyes, and it just looks damn powerful.

Those muscles in the legs look damn good too, thanks to the bumpmaps.

Do you mean the demon-fire movie or the introduction of carmack movie? Or perhaps the doom 3 movie?
[I have no links to any of these excpet the carmack movie coutesy of FlatHead's Lordflathead site]

Look at it in the movie: it's like ten foot tall, it moves around fast, it has a big mouth and no visible eyes, and it just looks damn powerful.

Those muscles in the legs look damn good too, thanks to the bumpmaps.

Yeah, I bet they'll take a rocket REALLY nice, particle blood/inards splattering all ova' my shadowed steel-toes...