Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pming

Firking java/activeX ads!!!

Hiya.

Ok, is it just me, or are the "new" Java or ActiveX "popup ads"...complete with ear-blasting sound...the most annoying thing you've ever been subjected to when visiting a web site. A web site like Doomworld. >:/ Does *ANYONE* here actually dileberately click on one of those to go to the site and buy something? I think the last pop-up ad I clicked on was in the winter of '98 or so.

Do the fine folk at Doomworld have any say in the matter? I really hate being forced to disable Java and ActiveX when viewing Doomworld...but I do it just so I don't have those damn ads! I already have pop-up stopper, so the regular pop-ups don't bother me at all.

Damn internet marketers. "People arn't clicking on our pop-ups. Lets create one that bypasses that. Do it in java or activeX. That's *sure* to get people excited about our product! They get a cool ad, full color, almost full screen, with LOUD sound...just so they pay attention. Sheer genius! We'll make a fortune!" >:( Do Internet Marketers have rocks for brains?!? Its the same as saying "People aren't buying our product. Raise the price by 50%, that should work." ?!?!? Morons. Annoying plague on man. All...and I mean ALL...internet marketers that resort to pop-ups, unders, or java/activeX adds should die a slow, painful and hideous death.

If you want to get me to buy your product...*make a good product that I need*! Covering up the web page I'm trying to view, or bombarding my email with spam is NOT going to cut it. Grrrr!!!

Thanks for letting me vent. Now I'm off to turn off Java and Active X so I can get back to viewing the screenies for this weeks wad reviews.

I don't get it either. Why should I visit a web site or buy something from some morons that annoy the hell out of me. The only thing these popups caused on my system was that I finally installed a popup killer. Now they don't bother me anymore.

If some company has spammed me or sent me unsolicited junk mail (or, worse, faxes), I make an absolute point of never buying anything from them. If everyone had that approach, the "annoy 20,000 to get 1 customer" mentality would surely begin to die out.

If nothing else, this approach made it a very simple choice when I had to decide which company to buy a mobile phone from.

Heh, maybe all these pop-ups, regardless of what they are apparently advertising, are really from companies that sell pop-up killers. ;)

wrong forum, jerk store

and no, we don't have any say in it.

I think the last pop-up ad I clicked on was in the winter of '98 or so.

OMG you clicked on a pop-up deliberately? Wow. Personally, if Internet advertisers are going to be dying a slow, painful death, then I want to be the one admininstering it. These guys will be on my most-wanted when I get my war on stupidity. Of course, I'm announcing this right out in public, so naturally, they will probably get wind of this and go into hiding. Not to worry, I've got it all worked out. I'll lure them out into the open, using huge, bright, noisy, flashy advertisements. Then, once I've rounded them all up, a quick charge-up from my BFG, and SPLAT!!! Okay, so I said slow and painful, but frankly, a BFG would be much more satisfying. I just hate the fact that they don't care whether or not the clicks are deliberate or not. Stupid jerks. You know what we need, seriously? A nice big public boycott. Something that would really get their attention. I would suggest the same for spammers, but I doubt anyone buys anything from spammers anyways. We somehow need to reach that 1 in 20,000 people who has some crumbs from a potato chip bag for brains.

And lets not forget that some of these ads, with their music and sounds, are quite big. So all the time us poor little slow modem users are wondering why the page we are trying to visit is loading even slower than normal - because some bullshit designed to annoy us is loading in the background.

And what about those instances of ie that run minimised and throw up a new pop-up every few seconds. Sure, I knew how to get rid of it, but it confused the hell out of my dad.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Why would I want to buy a product, subscribe to a service or give my personal details to an organisation that has made its first contact with me by deliberately annoying and deceiving me? Answer, I wouldn't.

The only popups of use are those advertising, say, specials, that companies put up -themselves-.... like free shipping or $5 off and order of $50.

And yes, I agree, those musical ones are bloody annoying, even on a cable modem... kill them all~! At least they don't override the MP3 player.

The world will be a far, far better place without commercials of any kind.

Had that Banzai ad been only slightly louder, I'm sure it would have caused me to go temporarily deaf. In which case I would have sued, so at least someone would have made some money from one of these ads :)

Ichor said:

The world will be a far, far better place without commercials of any kind.

No Doomworld. Unless you pay directly, of course. Hey, twice the prize for magazines and newspapers!

It forced me to go directly to the forums instead fo the main page.... which I think a lot of DW users do as well.

I was forced to disable ActiveX/java the last time I tried to use the idgames search. Looking around some other sites, it seems I should have done this much earlier.

pming said:
Do the fine folk at Doomworld have any say in the matter?

No, we don't have any say in that matter. Disable ActiveX, as you don't need it anyway. Try getting pop-up blockers, or put the ad companies in your MSIE "blocked" list. Disabling javascript ALWAYS stops every ad from showing up.

Those ads are indeed awesomely annoying but can be easily overcome.

However, were I ever to meet someone responsible for the Reebok one I would insert his/her head through their bottom via their stomach.

Puh-leeze. The ad people know that the people they advertise for aren't actually making any (decent amount of ) money off of it. The middleman, the ad-server, gets most of the money, as little as it may be. For some reason, though, they just keep holding onto this. I guess it's like the people on welfare who are on it just because they don't want to get jobs.

I only get the NikeLab.com ads that pop up on my blog page, nowhere else.

The spam kings, as they are, are already in hiding. The BBC tracked one down and put him on the news a while ago, but he was constantly "In a meeting", or hiding in his CCTV-Guards-with-dogs-and-high-walls-with-broken-glass-in-the-top mansion in beverly hills (which he probably paid for by more legitamate means than spamming, such as international cocaine trafficing), still they made sure his face was plastered all over the news, just so anyone who catches him out in the open can give him a bit of a kicking, or find his car and rig up a bomb to it

remember that one fella that bought a half million dollar home from money he made on spam? then remember how he filled the basement of that house with computers to send spam and make him more money? I remember when we got his home address and signed him up for all the junkmail in the world. But that silly man didnt stop. Then remember when we send him anthrax and letter bombs and how that didnt work? funny thing was that when we all got to his house, beat him to death with steel pipes, ripped out his guts, cut off his head, nailed his penis to a tree, had hardcore sex with his wife, and haning the remains on a pole in the lawn, finally playing soccer with his head and how that finally stoped it. well someone had to replace him. lets find them

Sephiroth said:

remember that one fella that bought a half million dollar home from money he made on spam? then remember how he filled the basement of that house with computers to send spam and make him more money? I remember when we got his home address and signed him up for all the junkmail in the world. But that silly man didnt stop. Then remember when we send him anthrax and letter bombs and how that didnt work? funny thing was that when we all got to his house, beat him to death with steel pipes, ripped out his guts, cut off his head, nailed his penis to a tree, had hardcore sex with his wife, and haning the remains on a pole in the lawn, finally playing soccer with his head and how that finally stoped it. well someone had to replace him. lets find them

You have some fucking issues, heh.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the companies responsible for the ads and the people making the ad blockers are in on it together; some serious cashola is changing hands between the two.