Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Aspiring 3D Floors Author

Hi, been awhile since I've participated in these forums. I want to learn how to make DM maps using 3D floors or multiple floors in the GL Legacy port. I would like to use DeepSea to do this. If someone could link me to a FAQ on how this is done or any other helpful info on the subject, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Check the sig Hellbent, you'll find a huge amount of tutorials for Legacy on the editing pages of the site. I moved my editing resource over there and it covers almost everything that can possibly be done with Legacy.

And of course DeepSea will already have the 3D floor features built in as an option. Makes life QUITE easy.

XDelusion said:

And of course DeepSea will already have the 3D floor features built in as an option. Makes life QUITE easy.

just press f7?

1. 3D Floors entails multiple floor heights, right?

2. Is DeepSea v.11.66 recent enough to support this?

3. From my experience, the help file in DeepSea is totally useless, so I was hoping someone might tell me where I start. Someone said F7, is this right? Thanks.

Hellbent said:

1. 3D Floors entails multiple floor heights, right?

Actually, they work by having a sector out in the void (control sector) that transfers the heights into the map in the form of a 3D platform. Similar to the ZDoom underwater effect.

Hellbent said:

2. Is DeepSea v.11.66 recent enough to support this?

Dunno - I don't use it for mapping, but there is a Legacy project (mode) you have to use for Legacy mapping, so I presume it'll be in, yes.

Hellbent said:

3. From my experience, the help file in DeepSea is totally useless, so I was hoping someone might tell me where I start. Someone said F7, is this right? Thanks.

Nope, F7 takes you to the lump manager. I don't know what the right procedure is.

No pressing F7 in DeepSea bring up the GFX menu option. 3D floors are just a normal option like any other Linedef Tag Type. All you do is tag your sector, then draw a rectangle outside the map, tag one of its lines with the same number as the sector. And set the texture for that line which will be the texture surrounding the 3D floor. Then you adjust that sectors's Floor and Ceiling to be the Bottom and Top of the 3D floor, and that is that. Now of course you can now tag that Sector, and do things to the 3D floor, like make it into a 3D elevator, moving water, falling ceiling, lighting, floor damage, what ever you want pretty much, it is really quite kool, not to mention easy.

Sweet. Do you think you could email me a "demo" wad that I could open up in DeepSea so that I might get a better idea of how it works? That would be really helpful. My email is greenwar@comcast.net

rofl sorry didn't mean to confuse you, f7 was just a joke since that's often the answer to "how do I do ____ in deepsea?"

lol - no worries - I think I understand how this works! I'm so psyched - thank you guys so much for all the help! Rellik, the demo wad was really helpful. Man, there is like zero learning curve for this. So cool, so cool. Can't wait to make some DM maps with a whole added dimension! Been editing regular dm maps for so long and have found it very challenging to find new innovative layouts after making close to 1000 dm maps. But with multiple or "3D" floors, there's gonna be a whole new slew of possibilities! Weeeeeeee.

Now... where do I get the grenade launcher?

Seriously, I have been dreaming of a grenade launcher in DOOM for some time now. So many of my maps could be so much fun with grenades. And just think of all the great implementations you could put into 3D maps for grenade fun! Little holes in floor panels to drop them through to players below, for instance. Man, the possibilities are endless. Has anyone made a grenade launcher for Doom? And if not, WHY THE HELL NOT?! Somebody's gots to do this. I don't know programming and not sure if I want to learn as I spend enough time on the computer making doom maps already. There's gotta be somebody out there who has made a grenade launcher or who could possibly be inspired to do so. It is sorely needed in DOOM DM. (This is not an attempt to start a flame, and I appologize if this is an overly beated issue)

Well sorry to bust your bubble, but until the Legacy team updates there code a bit, a Grenade Launcher is going to be pretty bunk. Unlike some of the other source ports, Legacy does not have a way to allow "Bouncing Grenades". What will happen though if you try to do this, is you'll shoot your grenade, and it will fall about 64 sectors away from you. :) Of course this is still kind of kool, for example, you have an enemy down below you hiding agianst a wall, and he has been edited to have a REAL HIGH responce time, so he don't mess around, well you can always look over the endge and try to shoot him and get blasted by his Plasma bolts, or you can just take a step back and drop a couple grenades on him. Kool, but Bouncing ones would still be better yet.

You shoudl goto newdoom.com and sign up on the Forums there. Goto the Legacy section and just make a brief post in the Legacy Request section, but don't go off on a discussion, they just want a simple list of features you'd like to see. You may not get it, but mentioning it never hurts.

I didn't really care about the bouncing bit. I just want a weapon that you can lob over ledges. I don't care how close it is to the quake grenade launcher. Just any weapon that will lob "rockets" or other explosives rather than have them fire straight and never be effected by gravity. Thanks for the tip about posting on new doom, - I'm going to do that right now.

In Deepsea, when editing a Thing, there are three coordinate values that can be edited. X, Y, and Z. But for some reason the Z is grayed out in my editor. Is there something I need to do to enable the Z coordinate?

Also, Rellik, how do I get things on the top part of a 3D block? Instead of having it on the bottom, I want it on the top of the 3D block. How do I make it choose? This is realy what the above question is pertaining to. Hope I've made myself clear.

Thread history briefing: I'm editing Legacy doing 3D floors.

Err... how do I add bots in Legacy for playtesting? My first 3D floors map is coming along nicely (relatively for a first job)

Heh all this talk of 3d floors in Legacy makes me wish there where 3d floors in ZDoom - the real kind, not the fake 3d bridge with bridge things :(

Ya that is one of the few things really holding ZDOOM back. You need 3D floors like we need your Sloped Floors. :)

Well, we can still create the fake ones in ZDoom, which aren't bad. In fact the 2 storey rooms are pretty convincing (unless you've got monsters on the top floor and you kill them).

Yes, plut it keeps you from going all out Duke Nuke'm with floor over floor over floor over floor. I feel ya, I REALLY wish ZDOOM had this feature as well, I'd consider switching if it did.

BTW I am really starting to LOVE how ZDOOM handles, the control seems so much different than Legacy's, I used to hate it, now I love it, go figure.

XDelusion said:

Yes, plut it keeps you from going all out Duke Nuke'm with floor over floor over floor over floor.

Not necessarily - if you're prepared to use the grid floors (aka vanilla 3D bridges) you can go beyond 2 floors. (I've done 3 storey rooms before now, and I could go up to 4 or 5 if I wanted to)

There's a few ways to get beasties up on the 3D blocks Hellbent. You can use scripting to spawn them there, put them on a pillar that lowers at game start or going back into the dark ages you can use a higher up conveyor belt to fling them onto the floor. I recommend putting them on pillars though, as for now it seems the spawn() function can cause savegames to be corrupted. As for the bot stuff I started a sticky thread in the Legacy forum containing all the Bot info.