Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cecillia

Bettas! Or, fish that eat other fish!

Well, I got myself a little betta pale blue w/ dark blue markings tonight. I had a reddish one, but he died o_o wouldn't eat anything. THIS little biznatch already ate some of the food I got, so that won't be a problem...

Anyone have bettas? Curious. Other than changing the water every week or two, anything else I should do with it? I just want this one to live...

In additon, no, I won't be getting any to fight it. So don't suggest it =P...

Also, anyone have any good ideas for a name for it?

Well, every betta I've ever had has died, but I do in fact know what they need. They need like, 5 pellets of food a day, the vase should be in the sun, and when you change their water(once a week) use bottled, if you care about the little bastard's well-being. I think you should name it Phil, or possible Barnaby, not for any reason, and not because those are good names, which they aren't. But they come to mind anyway.

You know, Doomboy got losered telling people to put stuff in the blogs forum. Watch yourself O_O !

We've had our betta for about 6 months already, which seems pretty cool, since none of our goldfish ever made it past 2 months.

Well, this one's actually eating, so that has to be a good sign.

The food I bout said to feed it twice every day, with one pellet at a time. So, I'll go with what it says...

It's not a blog post XD... there's room for reply, and my fishie is more important to me than who's a bastard in elections. Bwaa haa haa! It's not a bad name for a fish though. If I can't find anything better, he shall be Blog the fish.

You need bettas 'r us, in the UK we call them Siamese fighters, I remember the wife bought me one once that was the sorriest fish ever, no fins it looked like a female. She bought it because she felt sorry for it :P My Oscar ate it :P

I really don't like seeing bettas in vases... trust me.. they like a nice aquarium with gentle bubbles to play in.

When changing the water don't change it all at once... do 50% changes of water.. Otherwise you could make him go into shock. Water will naturally get bacteria in it, some of which is good. It's the amonia in the water you have to reduce. (Caused by poo n stuff)

I would personally advise against putting him in direct sunlight... if it's a really warm day, the sun might heat the water up past the point of safe for him.

The best set up I found was a simple ten gallon aquarium, with a bubbler in the corner and a pleco or a couple corycats on the bottom. Snails never worked for me personally... I've read thet snails and bettas are natural enemies.. and for the amount of fluffing up and abuse the betta dished out, I'm inclined to believe it.

On feeding, I always like giving him a little treat and drop in a mosquito here and there. I believe you can also feed them bloodworms. (larva form of mosquito, I -think-)

I'm a bit rusty on my fish knowledge though... You'd be better off to buy a book.. or look up a care sheet online.

I miss fish... in my current 'living' situation, I'm not allowed any pets... not even fish.

fodders said:

Fodders's awesome fish.[/img]

Nice. I like cichlids... but they are too much work for me... I stick to freshwater, unheated and bubblerable.

Yeah... I'm a fan of the guppy ;)
And of crabs.. til they escape and have the whole house on edge til you realise the cat looks fed.

Well. I can only suggest one thing.

Keep your cat away from it. And don't put two males in the same bowl. Or one will be floating at the surface of the water with no eyes, come morning.

Okay maybe that was two things.

You know, Cecilia is relatively new, one might explain the blog system rather than just jumping out with OMG BLOG BLOG BOGGOLKGOGOFL BOLOFLGGG !!!!!!

That is, unless you already know about it.

Ultraviolet said:

You know, Cecilia is relatively new, one might explain the blog system rather than just jumping out with OMG BLOG BLOG BOGGOLKGOGOFL BOLOFLGGG !!!!!!

That is, unless you already know about it.

She's Red Warrior, she's been around for a long time.

Oh, right, that. Well, she wasn't around when the blog thing was introduced to DW is what I was getting at.

Bettas hate it in bowls I dont know why the fuck stores put them in there but they dont like them I dont know weather or not yours is in a tank or what im just saying if so for the your sake.
Changeing the water about once a week should be good, leave alot of the original water in there as it has bacteria in it which keeps down the nitrite and ammonia which are toxic to fish.
The Ph you shouldent care less about these fish live in mud puddles in the wild anywhere for highly acidic to very alkeline so dont worry about that, keep them away from clorinated waters these will kill any fish's immune system...follow these steps and it should help you fish live a healthy happy life.

Tyockell said:

Bettas hate it in bowls I dont know why the fuck stores put them in there but they dont like them I dont know weather or not yours is in a tank or what im just saying if so for the your sake.
Changeing the water about once a week should be good, leave alot of the original water in there as it has bacteria in it which keeps down the nitrite and ammonia which are toxic to fish.
The Ph you shouldent care less about these fish live in mud puddles in the wild anywhere for highly acidic to very alkeline so dont worry about that, keep them away from clorinated waters these will kill any fish's immune system...follow these steps and it should help you fish live a healthy happy life.

Silverwyvern said:

Nice. I like cichlids... but they are too much work for me... I stick to freshwater, unheated and bubblerable.

Yeah... I'm a fan of the guppy ;)
And of crabs.. til they escape and have the whole house on edge til you realise the cat looks fed.

Yea chichlids are a pain in the ass to keep, i lost of 30 of mine a few years ago i had 100 gallon tank set up the side gave out one night dident hear it next morning went in the living room...dead fishies everywhere some even managed to flop 20 feet down the hall, as for crabs I like keepin them to there facinating creature I use to keep fiddler crabs and also land hermits fun pets, I came away from fish and crustaceans though and now into reptiles and amphibians.

Tyockell said:

Yea chichlids are a pain in the ass to keep, i lost of 30 of mine a few years ago i had 100 gallon take set up the side gave out one night dident hear it next morning went in the living room...dead fishies everywhere some even managed to flop 20 feet down the hall, as for crabs I like keepin them to there facinating creature I use to keep fiddler crabs and also land hermits fun pets, I came away from fish and crustaceans though and now into reptiles and amphibians.

EDIT: ohh shit sorry my bad double posting I quoted my origninal for some damn reason :-|

those, u can keep in just a normal tank. cousin had her's with other fish and all was well. also lived a few years too. most u get from pet stores are in poor condition, lack of correct food and oxygen. they really should be kept in a normal tank, with filtration and airation. other wises they dont last long. oh by the way buy a second and have them fight to the death

and what ever you do DONT jerk off into a fish tank. friend of my cousin did that when he was drunk. sat there laughting the whole night cause the fish cam up and started eating... well you know what comes out of the magical fireman.

Sephiroth said:

and what ever you do DONT jerk off into a fish tank

\||-=-*!**GREATEST ADVICE EVER**!*-=-||/

Sephiroth : Son, there's a lot of things you're going to learn yourself in this big world...but one thing I will tell you before you leave...don't ever jerk off into a fish tank.

Seph's Son : Uh, ok Dad...........*cough*

Ralphis said:

doomboy got losered? hell yes!

Hello, and welcome to several weeks ago.

Sephiroth said:
and what ever you do DONT jerk off into a fish tank.

... That's be -especially- difficult to do being female, you know o_o;... is that even -possible-?

Anyway, he's in a little hexagonal thing right now, but, I'm going to fix up the midsize plastic tank dowstairs... got a fake bonsai tree, and dammit, am I going to use it!

Oh, nobody won on the fish's name... I ended up naming him Bowie, after David Bowie, because of his effeminite pink lips.

edit: !#!#~!!! Dennis the moron proves his effectiveness in being a dick again... he threw away the old tank of my hermit crab, in which I was going to place Bowie. So now I need to buy a new one. Bastard.

Cecillia said:

Sephiroth said:
and what ever you do DONT jerk off into a fish tank.

... That's be -especially- difficult to do being female, you know o_o;... is that even -possible-?

With a little creativity, I'm sure you could do it >:)

Oh, sure. Girls can ejaculate too, you know. If anyone should know, I should. Yeesh.

auxois said:

Oh, sure. Girls can ejaculate too, you know. If anyone should know, I should. Yeesh.

yea they sure can.

Ralphis said:

heh, I had a feeling that was Red Warrior. My feelings rule

Silly Ralphis, you don't have any feelings! :D

By the by, that Bettas 'R Us site had some decent info... thanks! Perhaps eventually I'll get Bowie a couple of women XD...

Cecillia said:

By the by, that Bettas 'R Us site had some decent info... thanks! Perhaps eventually I'll get Bowie a couple of women XD...

Yeah.. if you wanna chance getting him killed. During mating time, a lady might decide she'd rather beat his ribs in than give over some eggs for the bubble nest of love.

same with many insects. personaly i dont think they are great pets. they are sold in terrible health, solitary and need a real fish tank.

get a seagoat or maybe a horribly mutated gold fish.