Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

No Doom 3 this year?

Fairy Gnome Goat said:

Wonder if it has anything to do with Reznor pulling out? As in them having to redo alot of soundwork that he wouldnt allow them to use/never finished.

I doubt that's the reason. If there were no other issues to deal with, then whipping up a set of sounds shouldn't take more than a few months.

I think it's more likely that it's a matter of improving the game content. Perhaps in the recent light of competition from games like HL2.

well that gives me more time to get money to buy a video card.

damn but my reserved copy receipt is already fading away u can barely read the text on it!

Yeah, I guess this means we can get todays uber rig at kmart prices when it finally comes out

/me prays that HL2 doesn't also need any "enhancements"

......Im fuckin pissed now, I respect ID but if they pull that shit fuck em they can eat a dick.

No more of those insults...

In either case, aren't you happy that they're putting even more effort into making a kick-ass game?

Fredrik said:

No more of those insults...

In either case, aren't you happy that they're putting even more effort into making a kick-ass game?

alright I wont diss them, but im getting very impatient now I was ok until I hear possibly its not comming out for another year then my blood pressure rises and I feel like shooting somethin but realize im out of shotgun shells.

Does that means Santa will not bring me the DIII box on Xmas?
What the fu©k?

blod said:

Does that means Santa will not bring me the DIII box on Xmas?
What the fu©k?

Yes, what the FUCK indeed...

That was to be expected. I can't see how any of you could find that surprising!?

Fredrik said:

Yeah, delays mean better games. That's why I just know Duke 4ever is gonna kick all sorts of ass :-P

They might want to put more interactivity in the surroundings since they saw the Half-life 2 videos. Anyway, I hope this will make the game even better.

Tyockell said:

......Im fuckin pissed now, I respect ID but if they pull that shit fuck em they can eat a dick.

You've shown you have no idea as to why this whole thing has been delayed.

iD is by no means the only party to blame. Those responsible for the leak, who should have known better given their business, are also responsible for leaking a lot of other development stuff.

Disorder said:

They might want to put more interactivity in the surroundings since they saw the Half-life 2 videos. Anyway, I hope this will make the game even better.

I think Doom 3 will be at least as interactive as Half-Life 2. Remember that you'll be able to interact with computers in a whole new way!

Shaviro said:

I think Doom 3 will be at least as interactive as Half-Life 2. Remember that you'll be able to interact with computers in a whole new way!

heh, um? i must be missing something, because afaik the computers in doom3 won't having anything deus ex didn't.

Maybe they add some extra levels because they have seen how everybody was disappointed with Unreal2´s short play time.

Boo.

Ah well, I'll look at it on the bright side like (most) other people - more to to save up!

Grogglogobofink said:

heh, um? i must be missing something, because afaik the computers in doom3 won't having anything deus ex didn't.

Theoretically you can do much more with Doom3´s computer interfaces then the simple eMail checking and security cam controlling in Deus Ex.

Interactivity isn't just the ability to use computers. In Half-Life, you can pick up objects in the world and use them against your enemies - something I don't see Doom III doing. Any way, I guess this delay was to be expected. And I don't mind as long as id doesn't slip into a 3DRealms/Ion Storm cycle of complete game redesigns.

Tetzlaff said:

Theoretically you can do much more with Doom3´s computer interfaces then the simple eMail checking and security cam controlling in Deus Ex.

In some ways though, the gui scripting is kinda unwieldy for what it does. I had to type a lot of code just to get a fairly simple interface effect going. And the computers alone don't add much interactivity to the majority of the game world, but I am really looking forward to seeing what is done with Doom3's level and GUI scripting features. Maybe some of the people here will convert their ACS or FS using projects to D3 :)

But the longer ID leave it, the less advanced their game is looking. More and more games are being developed with bumpmapping, normalmapping, stencil shadows and specular highlights so Doom3 isn't looking as amazing graphically any more. I think if they hadn't shown the first movie of the engine at Macworld back in 2001 and then followed it with the Legacy movie, there would be less of these games that use Doom3's principal gfx features (I say this because I do believe that ID are very influential engine-wise). But if it means the game gets better, I am quite happy to wait. Must be a really richly packed game though, if it is pretty short as they said.

Oh and Enjay: I also can't wait for DNF. Do you remember how content packed it looked at E32001(?)? I can't imagine what they are doing with it, but they must of had to upgrade all the engine tech so many times now.

Lord FlatHead said:

Interactivity isn't just the ability to use computers. In Half-Life, you can pick up objects in the world and use them against your enemies - something I don't see Doom III doing.

I'm glad you don't have a gravity gun in Doom3. I think that is the lamest attempt at gameplay I've seen in a looooooong time. You can move objects by shooting at them in Doom3. That is enough for me.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

In some ways though, the gui scripting is kinda unwieldy for what it does. I had to type a lot of code just to get a fairly simple interface effect going.

That's true for *any* kind of GUI programming. I haven't looked closely at the GUI scripts in Doom 3, but I'd be extremely surprised if they were even remotely as complex as, say, their equivalents in C++/Win32 API. Defining graphical objects with program code, let alone making them interactive, requires lots of code. Plain and simple.

The comparison to Flash has already been made. What id wants is a comprehensive and powerful system. I won't be surprised if there is a prefab system or something similar in place once the game is done though. Or maybe a graphical editor for the static parts of GUI:s.

Ahh shit, thats bad news. I am just about to buy my rig dammit!!!
This week!!!!

I must say though, at this stage, I am kinda getting a little pissed off with the whole "when its done" thing. What happened to "Coming 2003" banners? And not wanting to have another e3 showing? And Activision saying a few months that it would be out in THIS fiscal year. Christ, they have more or less half a year left.

Ahh well, what can you do I guess? I will go ahead and buy my rig. It should still be fairly newish next year

P4 2.6
1GIG RAM
120 MB HDD
Radeon 9800 128 Pro
Creative Labs Soundblaster Live 5.1
Altec Lansing Dolby Speakers with Woofer

etc..

etc..

Does anyone think this could be just Activision covering their backs and that there is a chance it will be out this year?

Dubh said:

Does anyone think this could be just Activision covering their backs and that there is a chance it will be out this year?

It could very well be that.

I'm going to take this news with a fistfull of salt.
I still believe id should at least make some comment....

This may be relevant...

Video game publisher Activision Inc. ATVI.O , one of a number of game companies included in a regulatory probe of the industry, also took a hit after it reported a smaller profit for the first quarter on a smaller lineup of hit titles. It fell to $10.48 from $11.88 at Tuesday's close.