Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
punkdrummer42

Doom Construction Kit 3.62 Ben Morris

I need to know how to hack into the Doom Construction Kit and change the limitations. DCK 3.62 is my editor of choice and I used up every last sidedef making a zdoom wad file and now I can't make another sector without it locking up on me. Does anyone know how to change the limitations in DCK 3.62?

I don't think it's possible. Like maybe if you were some god coder or something, maybe with a hex editor. But good luck finding someone that good who's willing to hack it =o.

The only limit in DCK that i know can be up'ed is the maximum number of textures displayed.

You know, there weren't really any serious limitations in the shareware. Sure, there's a limit on how big a map you can make; you can't make an AV20 sized map with it. There was one tool you couldn't use. Some kind of wad manager. And it's a bitch to set it up for zdoom. (I still can't get the .gds right.)

However if you find someone to do it, more power to you. To make a good editor better.

I've run across that limitation before. The limits on things, sectors, etc. are high enough not to be a problem, but the limit for sidedefs is 8192. 90 to 95 percent of all maps are under that limit, but there are a few times (not very often though) when I've had to cut back on some things in order for the map to fit.

I also realize there are still a few bugs that crash to dos. I still don't know what causes most of them, but there is a pattern. Somewhere.

It doesn't happen often enough for me to really notice. However, I have noticed a few odd things.

1 - Selecting the Heresiarch in map 13 of Hexen (Heresiarch's Seminary) will always crash DCK. Even moving your mouse over the thing will do it. This has nothing to do with DCK, but the way the Heresiarch is set up in the game.
2 - DCK cannot handle more than 255 flats. It will start to behave...strangely, but it probably won't crash or affect the wadfile you're working on.
3 - DCK also cannot handle more than 255 things in that items list. If you attempt to double click on a thing (or maybe create a new one), it will crash most unpleasantly.

I've never encountered those before. There's a 1/5 chance that it'll crash when saving a new texturing motif though.

And the moving vertices can get real tricky whenever there is a line or vertice that's too close to it. You'd have to zoom in beyond the limits in order to prevent this.

Heheh, DCK and Deepsea don't seem all that compatible, as you might remember from that Heretic map we made.

That is very true. I still have no idea why Deep effed everything up.