Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

And even MORE questions RE: Sprites & Code pointers

multiple questions about this...

1 In vanilla doom, can i make it so, say, the 'wandering monster' sound (Demons, lost souls etc) will NOT played by one or the other, so as to keep that sound specific to only a demon(and spectre) but NOT the lost soul? effectively keeping the lost soul silent during wandering? (generic example)

2...Also, In Vanilla Doom, can I set say, a Torch AND any number of other objects (such as trees, pedestals, etc) to all be shootable AND share the exploding frames of the barrel?

3...and finally, How can i shoot say, a torch, and assign frames so it 'explodes' with another 2 frames...

4... can I assign a sound to these final frames to complete the effect of shootable objects

I purposely did not simplify this thread just to be bothersome... ok actually it's so i may see different options that may share some common workings.

Thanks guys You Rule as always! (mini-member... yeeesh)

I suggest you look up the Dehacked Grabbag, linked in our Tutorials section. Most stuff you're asking for is explained there, such as how to assign codepointers and extending a Thing's frames.

You could also drag your "mini-member" across to my site for some basic to intermediate dehacked tutorials that cover some of what you are asking.

BlueBeast said:
1 In vanilla doom, can i make it so, say, the 'wandering monster' sound (Demons, lost souls etc) will NOT played by one or the other, so as to keep that sound specific to only a demon(and spectre) but NOT the lost soul? effectively keeping the lost soul silent during wandering? (generic example)

Yeah, in the sounds section of the things editor (upper right) just set the Lost Soul's action sound to 0 (none.)

2...Also, In Vanilla Doom, can I set say, a Torch AND any number of other objects (such as trees, pedestals, etc) to all be shootable AND share the exploding frames of the barrel?

Sure, go to the frames editor and set the next frame number to whatever first frame in the sequence that you want these things to share.

3...and finally, How can i shoot say, a torch, and assign frames so it 'explodes' with another 2 frames...

Choose frames that aren't being used (you'll have to decide which, a few are rather redundant already, and you might want to free more by getting rid of stuff) and append them to the death frames in whatever position you want them (at the start, end, middle, etc.) You'll also have to change the sprite # (it gives the sprite group name... the first four letters, like HEAD for the Cacodemon), Sprite sub# (each graphic frame; A, B, C, etc.), whether they are bright or not, and the duration for the new frames to suit your needs.

4... can I assign a sound to these final frames to complete the effect of shootable objects

Yeah, choose a frame that has a code pointer (to be one of the frames among the death frames of the thing) and change the pointer, entering the number of a frame that has the death sound code pointer (check a code pointer list for this, like the one here at the Doomworld editing tutorials.)

Note that you can't assign code pointers to frames that don't normally have any, nor can you set the existing code pointers to 0; they can be changed but not removed. You have to keep this in mind when editing and rearranging frames (whether or not you need a frame with a code pointer or without one.)