Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

books.

i'm on the search for books to read. i'm open to about anything. what would you guys recommend? and why?

1984, it's my favorite.
Z is for Zacharia, this one's pretty short. But the storyline is a little different than most books.
Raptor Red, 2 years in the life of a Utahraptor.

Anything by Orson Scott Card.

I'm reading the 'Ender' trilogy. (Ender's Game, Speaker For the Dead, and Xenocide)

The Abyss was a great novelization.

ravage said:

Anything by Orson Scott Card.

I'm reading the 'Ender' trilogy. (Ender's Game, Speaker For the Dead, and Xenocide)

Good fox, you get a treat!

Anything by Aristophanes (e.g. The Frogs or Lysistrata). Why? They're funny.

The Histories by Herodotus. He never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

This Strange Tomorrow by Frank Belknap Long, or The Flying Eyes by Joan Hunter Holly. Sci-fi so bad it becomes comedy.

Ringworld by Larry Niven. Good sci-fi, and you can have fun picking holes in the physics if you like.

Anything by Stanislaw Lem. Ostensibly sci-fi, but it's got a bit of everything; often a bit twisted and cynical.

What are you into? Any short stories book by Clive Barker. They are very engrossing and very disturbing. Books of Blood Vol. 2 is my personal favorite, although I haven't read The Hellbound Heart yet. (Hellraiser was based off of this novela) His novels are kind of dry though imo. Any of the older Stephen King novels if you haven't already. The newer ones kind of suck. I'm a horror fan if you can't tell. George Carlin is good, but watching or hearing him is better, comedy-wise.

Goat said:

i agree with scabbed angel on stephen king

Have you read any of his newer books? Dreamcatcher, for example. I think he should have left the aliens alone. Tommyknockers is awesome though. While reading it its easy to tell that he was a major alchoholic at the time it was written.

Assmaster said:

Oh, and how could I forget the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Well, there goes the planet.

Scabbed Angel said:

Have you read any of his newer books? Dreamcatcher, for example. I think he should have left the aliens alone. Tommyknockers is awesome though. While reading it its easy to tell that he was a major alchoholic at the time it was written.

i havent read much of him actually but what i have read ive loved. the Stand was my favorite... Rose Madder was good also

Goat said:

i havent read much of him actually but what i have read ive loved. the Stand was my favorite... Rose Madder was good also

Hell yeah! The Stand fuckin rocked! I was getting momo while I started reading it. Helped with realsim I guess. heh heh. Viva la Bull.

Grazza said:

Anything by Stanislaw Lem. Ostensibly sci-fi, but it's got a bit of everything; often a bit twisted and cynical.

well, i read my first bit of lem yesterday (i've read 5 books in the past 4 days due to the insane boredom of recovering from surgery): 'memoirs found in a bathtub'. it was great fucking stuff. anything else of that calibre?

Scabbed Angel said:

What are you into?.. ...I'm a horror fan if you can't tell. George Carlin is good, but watching or hearing him is better, comedy-wise.

the only horror i'm really into is lovecraft and the occasional poe. most of the stuff i see seems more like light reading than anything else. my only experience with king is because of 'insomnia'. i stopped reading near the end because i realized that he (king) managed to take a story about an old man who shoots lazer beams out of his hands when he karate-chops battling a horde of religious lunatics and make it fucking suck. i wept.

i'm really pretty open to all suggestions here, but if it helps any, my current favorite novel is 'glamorama' by bret easton ellis.

Anything Douglas Adams. Also, the Xanth series is pleasing. If you're a major computer geek, or you like mythology, Snow Crash is a great read, but hard to follow for some.

JavaGuy4230 said:

Anything Douglas Adams. Also, the Xanth series is pleasing. If you're a major computer geek, or you like mythology, Snow Crash is a great read, but hard to follow for some.

yeah, douglas adams is pretty godlike. while i've never read 'snow crash', i do have, and fucking treasure, 'cryptonomicon'. i'll have to check it out.

pregnant with worms said:

my only experience with king is because of 'insomnia'. i stopped reading near the end because i realized that he (king) managed to take a story about an old man who shoots lazer beams out of his hands when he karate-chops battling a horde of religious lunatics and make it fucking suck. i wept.

Hmmn... that book was really tied into his universe of characters. . . what didn't you like about it? Lovecraft and Poe are good, though. Not too much of a horror fan? Eh my suggestions are useless. heh heh

Scabbed Angel said:

Hmmn... that book was really tied into his universe of characters. . . what didn't you like about it? Lovecraft and Poe are good, though. Not too much of a horror fan? Eh my suggestions are useless. heh heh

well, me being unaware of his other books probably didn't help, as it's tied into them, but basically, if i'm reading a book with the plot i just described and i'm not moved to think 'holy fuck' every five seconds, someone isn't doing their job well enough, in my opinion. the suggestions are appreciated though.

Heh, understandable. If you ever want to try him again, I recommend 4 past midnight.. its a collections of 4 novellas, PetSematary, any of his short story novels, Cujo, and 'Salem's Lot. That ones a cliche vampire book, but I find that his books are more about the characters than the horror. Have you played Silent Hill? If you did and liked it, then I recommend the story "The Mist" in Skeleton Crew. The creators of SH series say that they were inspired by that story. Also a road in it is named after his pen name... Bachman Rd.

No one mentioned J.R.R. Tolkien yet? For shame. In addition to The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I also recommend the Silmarillion, which I think is his crowning achievement, although it was completed after his death by his son. Also, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is a great book which I think everyone should read. And if you want something that will ocuppy you for several months, try the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. There's a bunch of other books I like, but I can't think of them right now.

i could not fucking get into the wheel of time series. god the first book was like >yawn< for me, i dont know why. maybe i should give it a 2nd try.

"From a Buick 8" was good to IMO. Yeah the ass weasels were a bit much for me. You're reaching now Stephen, you gotta reel it back in a little bit. Yup, 4 Past Midnight is pretty good too, I loved "the sun dog". I'm a big fan of the Dark Tower series as well. He's said there'll be about 11 books in that series so he'd better get his ass in gear or we may never get to find out what happens.

I'd recommend "Intensity" by Dean Koontz, it's easily his best work. Most of his stuff is pretty mediocre but this book is just amazing.

"Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter is really good too. It's about a army vet sniper who's called back into service only to be double crossed. The basic premise is as old as the hills but he pulls off a truely amazing story by always having the hero a step or two of the bad guys. It makes for a fantastic read if you're into that kind of thing.

"Desperate measures" by David Morrell is also pretty good, it's about a man about to commit suicide when he gets drawn into this mystery. It's great how the main character is fearless for the simple reason if he finds out whats going on, he wins. If they kill him, he still wins because that's his eventual plan anyways.

Goat said:

i could not fucking get into the wheel of time series. god the first book was like >yawn< for me, i dont know why. maybe i should give it a 2nd try.

yeah that's what everyone says. you need to read it though to understand the rest of the series, expecially in the later books.

I would have to reccomend anything by Lincoln Douglas and Preston Child (I think that's their names). They wrote The Relic, btw. Boy's Life was a great book... can't remember the author though. The Watcher (I think that's it's name) was another great book. Can't remember the author either. Clive Barker's books are good... well, some of them. Not all of them are winners. If you don't mind homosexuality, Sacrament is a great book of his. It and Pet Semetary were the only Stephen King books I really liked, so I reccomend them as well. If you don't mind reading books meant for kids, you might try the Dark is Rising series. It's just one of those classic series' like the Chronicles of Narnia.

And yes, I'm aware that I have most likely misspelled most of these names, but it's late and I don't care at the moment.

Wth, I'm surprised no one has metioned Masters of Doom yet. If you haven't read it yet, what's wrong with you! =P

A Whispher of Wings

by Paul Kidd

My god, its not the fact that its a furry book, thats null.. but I've never seen anything so well developed and intresting to read since LOTR IMO.

Invasion, Planeshift, and Apocalypse by Robert J. King

Odyssey, Chainer's Torment, and Judgment by Scott McGough

Onslaught, Legions, and Scourge by Robert J. King.

Try them, I liked them alot, and I don't like books most generally.