Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile1011

OK, now I REALLY need help

I'm about to give up on my wad because of this strange error that occurs from time to time(basically all clipping gets screwed up, it's like you see one map, but the collision detection thinks your in another map). Different nodesbuilders give slightly different incarnations of the problem. It isn't caused by any specific sector(I know because I've deleted half the map and tried it, and the effect went away, then tried for the other half, same deal). I can't figure out what's wrong. Sometimes the error will go away, but then doing even the most benign alteration to the map(like splitting a square sector) will cause the error to return.

I have the map ready to send, so if you want to help me, just leave me your e-mail so I can send you the map, or I can send it through AIM(my sn is Vile1011 obviously).

I can't work on this map anymore until the problem is figured out and solved. Aside from the error, the map is vagually playable and close to finished.

It could be that your map is outside the maximum range for a map, zdoom doesn't seem to mind, but other ports do. Send me your wad, and i'll have a look-see.

Fusion said:

It could be that your map is outside the maximum range for a map, zdoom doesn't seem to mind, but other ports do. Send me your wad, and i'll have a look-see.

I use ZDoom, though you may have a point on the size thing. Although the error did pop in before when the map was only half as big. Anyway I'll send you the wad, maybe you can figure out what's wrong.

i'm having problems duplicating the error.. could you tell me roughly when/where/how it starts?

like usually with an error like this, a certain area of the map is effected.. or something.

Fusion said:

i'm having problems duplicating the error.. could you tell me roughly when/where/how it starts?

like usually with an error like this, a certain area of the map is effected.. or something.

The map works for you? What port do you use? Maybe it's a Zdoom error.

The error happens immediately and everywhere. The clipping gets all screwed up.

works great in zdoom.. latest version... possibly a memory issue?.. it is one hell of a big map ;)

you have 2 sectors that aren't closed(1585 and 1768, both are just to the left of the player1 start), and a bunch of too tall/low heights.. other than that. The map is fine.

I swear though, your map could be exceeding the boundries of the doom engine.. what that is exactly, i can't remember. I've had this problem before, what i did was copy/paste the level so that it was tightly nested and centered in the center point of my level editor 0,0. Volia. Problem should vanish.

The level design is some of the best I've ever seen. Unfortunently the author is clearly using God Mode, because there no pickups (making it quite unplayable at present). Also, I can't figure out what to do. :(

Uh, I have no error whatsoever. Like Fusion said, your computer is probably not powerful enough. Since you said when you delelte half the map it goes away, this is highly likely. But DO NOT give up on this map! Break it into smaller segments for testing, then merge 'em together at the end if you have to!

Grimm said:

The level design is some of the best I've ever seen. Unfortunently the author is clearly using God Mode, because there no pickups (making it quite unplayable at present). Also, I can't figure out what to do. :(

Uh, I have no error whatsoever. Like Fusion said, your computer is probably not powerful enough. Since you said when you delelte half the map it goes away, this is highly likely. But DO NOT give up on this map! Break it into smaller segments for testing, then merge 'em together at the end if you have to!

Oh, I didn't add health and ammo yet. That's one of the last things I do. There's also no exit yet.

About the power thing, my laptop isn't too powerful, but THIS one I'm on right now is amazingly powerful and the error still happens. Very wierd! I'll try that center-on-0,0 thing now, but I can't see why this error happens only to me. What ports are you guys using?

By the way, did you see the Spider Mastermind fight on the twin elevators? I LOVE that scene!

Fusion said:

you have 2 sectors that aren't closed(1585 and 1768, both are just to the left of the player1 start), and a bunch of too tall/low heights.. other than that. The map is fine.

I swear though, your map could be exceeding the boundries of the doom engine.. what that is exactly, i can't remember. I've had this problem before, what i did was copy/paste the level so that it was tightly nested and centered in the center point of my level editor 0,0. Volia. Problem should vanish.

The unclosed sectors are done on purpose for shading reasons and are un-related to the error. I was under the impression that ZDoom could handle really tall heights. I might try setting all sector heights the same and seeing if it still happens.

Why is this only happening to me? Does Doom not like me or something?

Ah, I was using an older version of Zdoom, that's why. I got the new version and it seems to work now. Thanks everyone!

No problem. Just one thing: Make it a bit clear what you're supposed to do. I'll PM you with examples.

Why is this only happening to me? Does Doom not like me or something?

Man, the number one rule of Doom editing is that weird stuff will happen for no reason whatsoever! Especially if you had a really cool idea!

Grimm said:

No problem. Just one thing: Make it a bit clear what you're supposed to do. I'll PM you with examples.

Man, the number one rule of Doom editing is that weird stuff will happen for no reason whatsoever! Especially if you had a really cool idea!

Oh, do I know that! I was once working on a level (this was before vile_dead.wad) that really looked awesome and had some elevator fights that eventually found their way into my new wad. Then, one day, all the sector heights, textures, light levels, and specials became filled with junk data and the level was ruined! Nowadays I have about 5 backup wads just in case.

I also PM'd you about that, and my answer is basically "It ain't finished yet."

Vile1011 said:

Then, one day, all the sector heights, textures, light levels, and specials became filled with junk data and the level was ruined! Nowadays I have about 5 backup wads just in case.

You didn't happen to send yourself a backup of the wad via Hotmail did you? I once (well actually more than once) was working on a wad on a different computer and sent it to myself via hotmail. When I downloaded the attachment that's pretty much exactly what had happened. The actual geometry was in the right place, just all the sector heights, light levels and tags etc. were completely flanged up.