• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
THE_Widowmaker

best doom moments

What are your top 3 moments in DooM ???
For me, in reverse order:

3.Starting a fight between two monsters.

2.Hitting someone squarely in the face (during deathmatch) at point blank range with a DBS and throwing them 20 feet.

1.Listening curiously for the first time to metalic hooves and watching in horror as a 15 foot Cyberdaemon comes round the corner spewing rockets at you.

Waiting for the enemies to get close to the barrel and shoot the barrell, boom, gibby pieces weepee

2.Starting a fight between two or more monsters.

1. Exploring the Moonbase of episode 1. Especially finding all those cool secrets.

3. Playing E2M4 for the first time. The great computer halls and the S catwalk to the rad suit. How the level had two distinct parts. Just a kick ass level. Great secrets on that one.

3.On E1M8 when the Baron trap doors opened...I was actually afraid to be playing the game

2.On Doom 2 level 20 (Gotcha if I'm not mistaken) when the two pillars lowered with the Cybie and TSM in them, again when this occured I was afraid to be playing the game

1.Opening the door of E1M1 and blew away the first Zombie Man...this marked the beginning of my years of Doomage

3. Being hypnotised by the swaying motion of the gun the first time I played (just compare it to Wolf 3D, the game I was used to up 'til that point, if you don't know what I mean).

2. Cacking my pants the first time I met the Bruiser Brothers, and eventually when I finally killed them.

"1.Listening curiously for the first time to metalic hooves and watching in horror as a 15 foot Cyberdaemon comes round the corner spewing rockets at you." - Agreed.

And there are of course all the small moments. The monster in fighting, the barrels, the first time I heard a revenant scream on wake up (hmm, maybe that should be in the top 3), the first time I didn't see a spectre until waaay too late, etc, etc...

3. Playing E2M4 for the first time. The great computer halls and the S catwalk to the rad suit. How the level had two distinct parts. Just a kick ass level. Great secrets on that one.

Hear! Hear! One of my all-time favorites.

3)Getting the shareware.

2)Buying the full version Ultimate Doom.

1)Getting a great packaged by the store bundle of DOOM II, Final DOOM, The master levels/maximum DOOM, D!Zone 150, D!Zone 500, D!Zone 1000 and D!Zone 1500.

Meeting the Spectre for the first time (almost died of fear :P)
Figuring out how to pass Gotcha!
Completing Inferno in Doom I and staring at the cutscene ;)

1st deathmatch game, and thinking "whoa these are real ppl (yes I do think in abrv) reacting, and not some stupid computer prog

1. Fighting the Cyberdemon for the first time without god mode on. Damn, took me almost 10 game reloads to do it.

2. Playing Deathmatch for the first time on E1M1. The rocket launcher out in the courtyard area where the blue armor vest is made life much easier (and gorier).

3. Best of all, hearing the Doom Music on the Doom Music CD. Obviously the At Doom's Gate track with the sychronized game sound effects made it all worthwhile. Now that I have the mp2's, I'll just burn them onto a CD once I get a SCSI card and transfer them to my mom's computer via ZIP drive.

Whew! That was a mouthful for me!

Whew! That was a mouthful for me!

Await the immature replies to this one.

3. Playing E2 for the first time and realizing that, yes, there is life beyond the first nine levels of shareware.

2. Playing E2M2, and hearing the music to it.

1. Arriving at the startling realization that I had just descended into the depths of Hell itself in DOOM II to save the human species.

~Beating Map30 without "IDCLIP"
~Beating e3m8 without "IDDQD"
~Finding out about Heretic

E1M8-
Fighting the two Barons of Hell without cheats and beating them for the first time.
E2M8-Fighting the fearsome CyberDemon for the first time and having nightmares about it for weeks.
E2M6-This particular level was really intense for me when I first played it and still is, and is just darned fun to play. It also gave me nightmares, especially the 'false exit' part.

E2M6-This particular level was really intense for me when I first played it and still is, and is just darned fun to play. It also gave me nightmares, especially the 'false exit' part.

/me shudders
Oooohhh... THAT was a fraggin dirty trick!! and I loved it! Nevermind that it made me paraniod about every other switch in the game for the next month or so.. =)

Anyway, my fave moments were my very first fight with the Cyberdemon on E2M8..
Beating Map30 of Doom 2 on nightmare ( I warped there mind you. I can only get to level 8 on nightmare normally.. the the land of Barons just wipes me off of the map.
My other fave was on Doom 64. On the level 'No Escape, I had ignored the Cyberdemon out of fear.. then I hit one ugly switch.. then 2 more came outta nowhere. I kinda lost my head taking on all 3 at once. Now THERE'S a nightmare for a few nights. ;)

Zeratul 982: Yeah, one of my all-time favorites too. :)

I forgot to mention DMing for the first time. That was definately one of the greatest DOOM moments.

From episode 1, jumping into the slime -the unknown- and finding all sorts of secrets in the dark slime pits. Where the blue key is on E1M6 is one of the more memorable secrets as well as finding the rocketlauncher and the soulsphere on E1M4.

Also remember spending hours trying to figure out how to get the secret lifts to the soul sphere to lower on E1M3. And then to find that after you get the soulsphere, another lift was lowering as well revealing the start of the coolest secrets of all of DOOM. Going into the slime after getting the RL and finding that passageway and then the chaingun and then the bridge and then the box of rockets and the imp's sniping place. So sweet. And E1M7's secrets as well. Another moment: finding the computer map on E1M5. How did I know that wall was a secret? Dunno, but it was. Finding the Star teleporter on E1M5, finding the yellow key through the secrets on E1M6 and going down that long ass slime hallway to come out on a ledge outside. The first time I saw a demon: how cool was that.

My cousin can't play DOOM cause it scares him too much. That was when he was like 18. He sits down and within minutes he just can't handle it and has to stop.

I forgot to mention DMing for the first time. That was definately one of the greatest DOOM moments.

I'd probably think that too if I didn't have a ping of 1800 minimum in every game I attempt to enter. We can't get DSL over here because of our city's shoddy phone lines. :(

1, 2, and 3:

Playing the Shareware version of Doom for the very first time ever. Back in 1994, my brand new 486 had come with this little sampler disk that contained shareware Doom, among other things. So, thinking it looked interesting, I popped it in and began playing. Then I was hooked...from the green armor on the pedestal in E1M1 to the Doom Room at the end of E1M8...

Damn, now I wanna go play E1 again.

3) getting shocked by the fake exit on e2m6
2) playing doom for the first time ever
1) playing on map13 (downtown) in doom2, for the first time - i loved the idea of walking around with guns and killing demons in a city - it seemed so realistic, and unbelievable at the time...i think i spent about 3 hours on that level making sure i'll find every possible secret, and cover every inch of the map...it was awesome...

1) Cyber deamon - e1m8, as described above :)
2) Getting fragged for the very first time in the hallway leading to the slime room on e1m1. Scared the shits out of me... "What the hell kind of a monster was that?" It strafed, shot me with an SG and the CG, and it moved fast as fuck. (i din't know how to strafe or run back then) The null-modem cable hanging out of my window was never given any thought :)
3) Getting Waded :)

#3 Seeing the demons in nightmare, now there a reel threat.

#2 Staying up till 3:00 one night finishing DOOM II on UV (the only way to play!) for the first time.

#1 Winning bet at LAN party that I could still beat me mate at doom dm when drunk. (after three shots of bundy rum 'n' coke) TRY IT!

Well, for me, these are the top three moments:

Playing through Episode One and becoming hooked shortly there after.
Playing E2M2 (Containment Area, I think) and just marveling at how half of it was like a base and the other half was a part of Hell. Twisted.
Finding out you could upgrade Doom to Ultimate Doom, Doom WADs/mods, PCs/TCs, ZDoom, and JDoom. (Among other ports, too numerous to name.)

1. E1M7 on SNES doom. I was only...8(?) when i played this. The music and atmosphere was too much fo me and i had to uit when i got to there.

2.THE CYBERDEMON! i actually phoned up the guy i borrowed this from to ask him what the hell it was. The SNES version was cool, because you had to play on skill 3+ to play E2, skills 4+5 to play E3. Plus, the monsters ALWAYS stared at you! even if they didn't see you. oh, and the invisability actually made you invisable.

3.Getting Ultimate Doom And Doom2 on my mac and continuing from where i left off on the SNES, which also didn't have e2m2, my favorite map

guys, beating map08 on nightmare is not that hard. All you have to do is not fire a shot until the cyberdemon has taken care of most of the barons, then grab the supercharge/invuln and do the rest of the level quickly.