Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deldelda

Wouldn't eternal bliss get boring after a while?

EllipsusD said:

But another fundamental point is that you can only know something like bliss if you have something that is less than blissfull to compare it too. Bliss entails pain, or else there cannot be bliss. And most importantly, enternal bliss means that it's impossible not to be blissfull, which means that even if you wanted to remember something other than bliss, you can't because that would make you feel less than blissfull during the time you're remembering it. Thus, since bliss is the only thing you can feel, it is impossible to understand any value in it. It get boring very quickly.

Well I've known pain, and I think I could still remember what it's like even after ages of bliss. I'm pretty sure the things in my above post I'd still know are blissful, and everything else that is besides!

Eternal bliss getting boring after a while? You're thinking in such limited, human terms.

Humans are one of 5 or so species that have the capability of being bored. Monkeys, dolphins, and such and such are the others. Cats sit around doing nothing all day. They simply can't be bored. What about when you're sleeping? Don't you get bored lying motionless, hour after hour?

You cannot even BEGIN to imagine how good eternal bliss could be, once you remove the human limitations that you are accustomed to.

pritch said:
Well I've known pain, and I think I could still remember what it's like even after ages of bliss. I'm pretty sure the things in my above post I'd still know are blissful, and everything else that is besides!

But the point I'm making is that you won't be able to remember pain because it would put you in a less than blissfull state.

AndrewB said:
You cannot even BEGIN to imagine how good eternal bliss could be, once you remove the human limitations that you are accustomed to.

Or add more limitations... but I guess that's all a matter of how you look at it, really.

ravage said:

Watch "What Dreams May Come".

Isn't that the robin william movie where h and his family dies etc? (edit: yeah it is)

Good movie that one.

If you're just existing in a perpetual state of bliss, with no prospect of growth or change, then you may as well not exist at all. You might not get bored, but you really would be dead.

Jon, you and the others like you are thinking in such rigid, simplistic terms. Here's what your train of thought seems to be...

1) Eternal bliss must be perfect
2) If it's perfect, it must never change
3) If it never changes, it must get boring and suck

Your logic is incredibly stuffy and primitive. So, for god's sake, please throw out the concept of 1). It's totally unnecessary.

Er, what? Bliss by its very definition is a state of perfect happiness. If you're not perfectly happy then it's not bliss at all, just another form of normal human existance. It's you who is being illogical, and resorting to the typical "oh it's beyond human comprehension." to cover up the the gaps in your reasoning.

Human existance is built on the attempt to gain happiness, ideally total happiness. If that is ever achieved then it would be a static state, since people's actions drive change, and are themselves driven by a desire to increase their own happiness.

Again, I repeat that in the case of bliss, there can be no such thing as perfection. Screw the definition. There is a logically plausible form of eternal bliss, however unlikely it may be, and it most certainly does not involve perfection.

Many people on this thread are using the concept of perfection to somehow show that bliss would not be blissful, and as such you prove yourself misguided.

You would because it didn't used to be that way, only way it could work of course, just cause it lasts eternally, doesn't mean it didn't have a beginning.

I don't think we3 change our MO to achieving unhappiness once we reached happiness, everything would bring happiness, not a bad thing, even remembering pain would be done in such a way that all you the focus is on how much better things are now, not sulking in the past, complete mental clarity.

insertwackynamehere said:

In my opinion our brains our wired in such a way that no matter how hard we try, we can't think about some things. This for example, and looking through a window with nothing behind it (no white, black, color, anything), and some other stuff.

If you think about it. Wouldn't the nothing behind the window BE white? Afterall, white is the absence of everything. JMO.

AndrewB said:
Many people on this thread are using the concept of perfection to somehow show that bliss would not be blissful, and as such you prove yourself misguided.

And the evidence that you use the show we're misguided is simply that we don't understand, and you offer no examples (which I'm sure, as a human, you can't understand it well enough to explain it). Maybe we are wrong, but you have nothing to prove that we are misguided other than the way that you believe.

ThunderOrb said:

If you think about it. Wouldn't the nothing behind the window BE white? Afterall, white is the absence of everything. JMO.

What the heck??? You're screwed up and backwards.

All you would "see" would simply be determined by what light comes from said location. Nothing is there, therefore no light would come from there, meaning you would see black.

EllipsusD said:

And the evidence that you use the show we're misguided is simply that we don't understand, and you offer no examples (which I'm sure, as a human, you can't understand it well enough to explain it). Maybe we are wrong, but you have nothing to prove that we are misguided other than the way that you believe.

That's bull.

bliss would suck, gettin knocked round every now and then gives ya some fun especialy if you get to crack somone in the head with a pipe wrench.

ThunderOrb said:

I dunno dude. My walls are white and they're deffinately still in existence.

White is the combination of all colors in the visible spectrum. Black is the lack of color, and opposite of white.

The absence of everything cannot be a color. The lack of everything is a pretty abstract thing really.

I would think it'd be impossible to percieve the lack of anything if we viewed it from a window. If wouldnt even be black. because a color is something. nothing is like the scope of infinity in that they are hard for a human mind to comprehend. not saying we wont ever, just that it is for us now.

Besides the fact that it's not very realistic for "nothing" to exist outside someone's window, if you were to look at an area completely devoid of matter, light, and anything else, it would indeed be black. That's all there is to it. Black. Okay?

Yeesh, you guys. Isn't it obvious? If you look out a window with nothing on the other side, you will see an HOM effect.

ThunderOrb said:

In our human terms. But in reality white is still something.

Dingus Khan said:

I dunno dude. My walls are white and they're deffinately still in existence.

White is the combination of all colors in the visible spectrum. Black is the lack of color, and opposite of white.

The absence of everything cannot be a color. The lack of everything is a pretty abstract thing really.

I would think it'd be impossible to percieve the lack of anything if we viewed it from a window. If wouldnt even be black. because a color is something. nothing is like the scope of infinity in that they are hard for a human mind to comprehend. not saying we wont ever, just that it is for us now.

Yup.

geekmarine said:

Yeesh, you guys. Isn't it obvious? If you look out a window with nothing on the other side, you will see an HOM effect.

Actually, that may be very well possible.

What does a person who has been able to see for years describe the state of being blind as? A light brown, with a hint of grey? No. My thinking is that since they don't see anything, it would be just like looking out of a window and seeing a HOM effect. But if there isn't anything else for the HOM effect to be based upon, then what is it? Black (nothing)? My thoughts point to black, because black is an absence of anything. But if they see black, then they do see. So it would be impossible to begin describing being blind, and the only true way to comprehend the forces at work, so they say, is to be blind.

And how do we all know that what I see as blue may be purple to you? How do you know when you are colorblind? I mean, if the colors are inverted, then someone describing light for the first time to you, what looks to you like dark but to them is light would be called light. And so you would think that what you SEE as DARK is ACTUALLY called LIGHT. TO YOU. But how do we know that only colorblind people see differently? Or all we all colorblind and used to it? Enough to say that what is green to me may be pink to you? But you still think of what YOU see as pink I call GREEN, so you think that green is green (which is really pink). So technically, the only way to know what somebody sees is to directly co-relate the electrical patterns in our minds to each other, and relay them to the brain to SEE what someone else is SEEING, not to SEE what they are DESCRIBING.

Any thoughts?

deldelda said:

What does a person who has been able to see for years describe the state of being blind as?

I know what that's like. I, like many others with low blood pressure, easily get close to fainting every once in a while (it's gotten better for me the last few years though, which is fortunate). Usually when that happens, I lose eyesight for two or three seconds.

You don't see a specific color. Nope, not white, black or grey. No weird shapes. You just see *absolutely nothing at all*. Can't be described using visual things such as colors.

Cool. Then I guess I was right about "quote" the only true way to comprehend the forces at work (what it looks like visually to be blind), so they say, is to be blind. "/quote".

I think we may all be blind, when we sleep. The time when we are sleeping but not dreaming is called "sound sleeping". This, you have no sense of time, or existence althogether. Your mind escapes your body, and you just lie there.

Try to explain OBEs. Sometimes, I am lying in my bed and I am half-asleep (literally) I picture myself looking over my stairs. Then I glide down them, and trip on the last stair. The MOMENT I hit, I snap back to reality with a large, bed-shaking shudder. If you ever have bunk beds, and you feel a large shake, that is what it is. A true OBE. My mom has similar OBEs, or so she tells me. Sometimes my dad and I will be lying on the ground, watching a movie, and he'll fall asleep. Eventually the shudders awake, confused as to why the movie apparently has "skipped", when it is his own existence that has done the "skipping".

Paradoxes. :D

AndrewB said:

Besides the fact that it's not very realistic for "nothing" to exist outside someone's window, if you were to look at an area completely devoid of matter, light, and anything else, it would indeed be black. That's all there is to it. Black. Okay?

Black is a COLOR. COLORS are THINGS. NOTHING is the LACK OF THINGS. Therefore, it WOULD'NT BE BLACK.

What does OBE stand for deldelda? I know what you're talking about, but my "OBE"-thing is never synchronized to any event within my dreams. I'll be about half asleep and then i do it for no apparent reason.

Eternal bliss doesnt sound as cool as eternal suffering to me.

AndrewB said:
That's bull.

Your ability to eloquently express complex opinons asounds me. Care to expound on that? All you've established is that you disagree with me, and you have yet to offer serious counterpoints. How about this: if you are going to argue with myself or other members of this forum, how about you actually use arguements instead of disagreements

Dingus Khan said:
What does OBE stand for

Out of body experience, if I'm not mistaken.

Ahhh. Well hell. What I was talking about was just a bizarre body-twitch thing. I must really be on today if i couldnt figure out what that one stood for, heh.

OK. So. I've have OBE since I was a child I'm taking it? I would be laying in bed half asleep and all the sudden feel like a bee was buzzing at me and I'd shudder awake. I have this all the time. Now it seems to be I'm half asleep and I walk and trip and shudder awake. Sometimes it's I'm simply half asleep dreaming of being asleep and falling out of bed and I shudder awake. The weird thing is I feel like I'm falling out of bed even when I'm not near the edge. Does anyone kno what causes these things?