Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

The first known released PWad for Strife?

Yes, very nice pics.

Strife is an excellent, though long-forgotten, game.

this is great. now if only source ports would support strife. unless i'm a retard and they do.

You can load Strife level in ZDoom and run around in them, but that's about it.

Cool, I'm glad people appreciate it.

Also, apparently Vavoom has some little bare bones Strife support too. There's some talk about it and the source code issue on a Strife thread on the Other Doom Engine Game board at NewDoom.

A couple recommendations:

If you have Strife, install it.

If you don't have Strife, try to find it (I picked up a brand new legit copy for $1 complete in box at an Ollie's Outlet), try Sparky's Strife Doom, and/or try the demo.

Grogglogobofink said:

heh, i started making a jokemap for strife a few weeks ago, just so i could try to get the first strife map listed at 3darchives =P

Heh heh, I think this is the quickest I ever made a complete level from start to finish. I was afraid someone else was going to get a level up right before me. Some parts of the level may look a bit bare, but it's mainly because I wanted to make sure my level runs well on old computers and I didn't want to find out if Strife has a VPO crash. Also it's a pain not being able to see wall textures in DETH when editing after I surpassed Deepsea Shareware's 800lindef/1200sidedef limit. I could still look at my level and textures in Deep. I just couldn't save changes to my level in it. Well you can still be second.

If you want to view custom textures (or flats) in DETH, merge yer graphics PWAD with the IWAD. Good way to back up your shtuff, too.

I don't have any graphics in my pwad. Even with my fixed up Strife.cfg, DETH will not show Strife's wall textures (it lists them all now but still just says 0 patches for each), but it does show all floor/ceiling textures correctly. Wintex v4.3 can't correctly show Strife's textures either. Only Deepsea can.

I'm going to reupload a new version of my level soon since Jack V, the Deepsea guy, found a minor error in it. It's virtually impossible for players to notice even after finding it with an editor but the fact that it's there annoys me. I'm also taking the opportunity to switch around some assault guns and a crossbow and replace some cage lights with wall torches.

It turns out you can use wads in normal single player, the problem was that I forgot Strife1 is the actual exe and of course the dumb Strife.bat wasn't passing on my parameters, so I gotta fix that in the text file.

So anyone have any suggestions for my level before I submit an update to the 3dgamer archives? More ammo? More or less health? Little bit more detail in any particular parts? Anything that's downright annoying? It would probably be a good idea for me to wait until after the newstuff chronicles review. That might give me some good suggestions.

BTW, I took a good amount of tips into consideration from the what makes a good deathmatch level topic over on the multiplayer board while making this level.

Also, I just made major updates and revisions to the Strife editing package I recently released on my site. And I'm seeing if Jack can recover some specs on scripting and stuff.

Gokuma said:

It would probably be a good idea for me to wait until after the newstuff chronicles review. That might give me some good suggestions.

Doh!

Yeah well, if I had strife, I would have definitely wrote a three paragraph review or something.

Well you should have been able to magically pull Strife out of thin air. Heh heh. Well thanks for still mentioning it with a direct link and all.

Anyway, I just finished thoroughly playing through Strife taking different paths and getting different endings. Freaking unbelievably awesome game! And now I have a better idea how to use some of its textures with level architecture and stuff.

I also played through the demo and it's pretty cool how they change things around in it. It gets into some intense action quicker than the full game does.