Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KNorton

What the Fnord. is going on here?

I was wondering what the hell is going on with the doom2 multiplayer community now. In a time where doom2.exe isn't used anymore for MoDoom games multiplayer ports for doom2 is what everyone plays these days. But I've noticed that in the past few months the number of people playing on these ports has gone down greatly. The number of servers for ZDaemon and CSdoom are almost nothing now. Doomserv doesn't count cause it is just stupid. And what really makes it bad is that if for some freak chance of nature more then a couple servers are up, no one is ever playing on any of them. I'm very peeved at the Doom2 Multiplayer scene. Sure you have the few that still play, even if it is COOP, but hell the for the number of people still playing doom2 and talking about doom2...we could have a few more players for some good 'ol multiplayer fun. In my eyes CSdoom is gonna die sometime soon. And I really hope that ZDaemon 1.0 brings new light for this great, but very old game. hmm but it is almost 4 in the morning and I am pretty drunk so I could just be rambling. Ya can reach me in #doom or #zdaemon on irc.openprojects.net.

Perhaps people are just sick of the losers sat on their own servers at 28 ping, thinking they are DoomGods

hmmmm, i've seen a preview version of then new zdaemon 1.0 and i must say it roxx ass, although there were still some bugs in it. I.e. the launcher was unable to refresh the server-list after some times or such little shit.
BTW. i haven't been on ZDaemon for some time because my 56k powerline eliminates every chance to defeat someone like Knorton, Nightfang or Toke, but i think i'll play again when i get my new connection or zdaemon 1.0 will be released

That sounds like talking trash fod. =] I'm more then happy 2 play you on a game that isn't on the Fnord. server as long as its high bandwidth. Any ping under 100...I don't feel any problem with at all. And I've never once called myself a doomgod, cause I don't think I am. But we should play a game that's not on my server, cause I don't talk trash, but I really don't like it when people talk trash about me. The Fnord. server is a VERY popular server, usually I only start it if someone in #zdaemon asks me to start a server. Or I'll start it if no one is on any of the ZDaemon servers. I've got a very high-bandwidth, and a lot of cable users get pings of 57 on my server. And if you've ever had a server running for a long time you would know the deal about server lag, which is so so so much worse then a high ping. Bad server lag is slow lag, you can still move around fast if you have a high-ping. I've had so many people tell me the lag on my server is so much better then the lag on most other servers. So excuse me if I join my own server when I see a buncha people I know on it. I know a good bit of players that would be more then happy to setup a server for me and you to play on. =]

Oh dearyme, where on earth did you construe my post to be directed at you?
It was a general moan about some poor players that do that, you obviously do not fall into that catagory, and I have seen you wandering about other servers, no I was talking about the likes of Fishsticks, silver and the odd weirdo that runs one, and kicks you if you beat him

koontzy: man bro it's easy as hell. First off, you're going 2 want 2 get zdaemon version.99 . You can find zdaemon on 'www.truelights.com'. You're still going 2 need a copy of Doom2. Put all the files in the zip for ZDaemon into your doom2 dir. Run ZDaemon.exe and setup your controls and all that good stuff. Then leave ZDaemon.exe and load up Zlauncher.exe . When Zlauncher is loaded all you have 2 do is pick a server and join it. Pretty easy, very fun. Oh and The Fnord. server is the best =] shhh

is Ultimate doom no longer supported by any programs? Or can I use it to play online? I have never played on the internet!! But I can still remember the days of good ol' 1996 when everyone had at least a copy of DooM Reg1.9, modem dial-ups and all...

Well you can use zdoom or csdoom to play Doom 1. You can use ZDaemon, but usually there are no servers for doom1. And unless you're gonna start your own server with ZDaemon then get CSdoom. Usually atleast one Doom1 server on CSdoom.

thanx much

what doom3's particles will be compared to...from guns to...
A Good Use of Particles for fire (looks better real-time)

why dont ya just get doom2....although I dont like to tell people how to get it, but you can d/l Morphues(its like Napster) and gte doom1,final doom,doom2, ect...from it...but I recomennd buying it:)

Later

I DID buy it...I lent it to a friend[read: inexpeienced computer user] and I got my disk 3 back all f'ed up. I didn't even bother with the disks anymore, I had them all backed up on HD. When I sold that computer, I just formatted and re-partitioned, losing everything.
I recently did get UltDoom, from an abandonwares site, because I had that also. I want to play that online and start stomppin' guys like I used to...(back in 1995)

arg!

here is the problem

the players dont like all the stupid shit added to ports and the port coders only care about there own reps instead of the players.

If there was a descent place to play... people would play.

you make something like csdoom, doomserv, and zdaemon and it attracts idiots for the most part.

csdoom, doomserv, and zdaemon would have kicked ass if there coders didnt refuse to do things correctly

I have seen all the DoomGods that have internet access talk about how they would play online if only the ports werent so trashy.

That's right toke

now here's the first thought. Make cheaters confess what they have done and must remain honesty. Namely nightfang