Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Espi

Kind of odd.

I wouldn't usually give a flying fuck about brutally killed humans. But reading of brutally killed animals depresses me. I even avoid harming animals in a game, heh. Unless they're enemies of course.

I'm wondering if anyone else is odd like this.

It doesn't bother me at all to kill a human or animal in a game. In real life, however, it's a different story.

Maybe it's because animals have a stupid kind of complete innocence. Humans, even ones who are shot, are often cunts :)

Plus, you understand all of what an animal is immediately, whereas people are more complex and therefore harder to feel for in a passing mention.

Yea I feel the same way, enless its a cute lil gurl or somethin I dont feel sorry for em, animals I feel sorry for usually, except for monkeys I hate monkeys with a passion, primates closer to us dont bug me but fuckin micacks and shit like that ohhh man I just wanna squeeze there head till it pops.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Maybe it's because animals have a stupid kind of complete innocence. Humans, even ones who are shot, are often cunts :)

Plus, you understand all of what an animal is immediately, whereas people are more complex and therefore harder to feel for in a passing mention.

Couldn'ta said it better myself. :)

In Unreal I would always reload a savegame if I allowed a Nali Cow to be harmed, so I guess that shows my thoughts on the matter.

I suppose there's a tendency to become almost desensitized to man's inhumanity to man, since there is so much of it about, and has been throughout history.

Same here. I cannot stand the sight of an animal being hurt. However, when I see a guy's ass kicked on tv I hardly feel anything. Unless I know him.

Its because we see humans as goodies and baddies, animals are always innocents, apart from those evil bastard monkeys, its nice to know Im not the only one who hates those chattering little bastards, them and noisy little dogs who bark at anything and everything.

Grazza said:

In Unreal I would always reload a savegame if I allowed a Nali Cow to be harmed ...

Heh, I think I did that also. :) Not sure tho, it's been a long time since I played it.

But, I think I feel how I feel mostly because of how unfair it is. Most animals are completely defenseless if some human decides to torture it for fun or something.

The person likely never gets any consequences of it. And even if they get to know, authorities don't care at all most of the time.

Grazza said:

I suppose there's a tendency to become almost desensitized to man's inhumanity to man, since there is so much of it about, and has been throughout history.

well, we haven't exactly been civil to animals throughout recorded time either.

Espi said:
I'm wondering if anyone else is odd like this.

Yeah... hmm, no, since I've genuinely noticed humans are animals too. We're all bunches of genetically related cells.

And also, I'm aware that many of the ones (humans) that are hurt or killed era the weaker ones, and when that's not the case individuals are still frail and vulnerable, no matter how tough.

Plus I've met my share of dogs I really disliked because they were threatening. I remember when I was a kid and one attacked my mother... and then one huge german sheppard that, if I had not accurately hit it with a fist-sized rock on the head it would have torn me open (and this one had bitten a number of people already, and had attacked other peaceful dogs.)

dogs like that only behave that way because their human owners make them vicious, so blame the human.

A lot of humans only seem to respect vicious animals, like sharks, birds of prey, poisonous snakes, big cats, wolves etc.

*did I spell vicious correctly??

mystic said:
dogs like that only behave that way because their human owners make them vicious, so blame the human.

Agreed. Actually, that dog I threw the rock at lived a place where a little kid constantly annoyed it, and then the dog would take revenge on passers-by and neighbors. But humans are like that too, it's just that they intimidate us more easily so we won't resort as often to explaining away their bad nature due to their harsh existential context.

Grazza said:

In Unreal I would always reload a savegame if I allowed a Nali Cow to be harmed

I'm quite the opposite. I very much enjoyed shooting bunnies with some semi-automatic weapon in Shadow Warrior. I use games to relieve stress.

Whereas in Real Life, I do feel sorry for both humans and animals when they get harmed. For example, when the news reports of people being killed in a plane crash, I'm always thinking of how shocked their friends and family members must be.

Now that I think of it, I feel sorry for animals to a lesser extend. After all, it's hard to feel compassion for a single, harmed animal when you know that millions of animals are tortured every day in the food industry.

Sooner or later, that dog is gonna go nuts and maul the child from the prolonged irritation.

mystic said:

apart from those evil bastard monkeys, its nice to know Im not the only one who hates those chattering little bastards, them and noisy little dogs who bark at anything and everything.

nope lol your not alone, I feel your anger.

That dog eventually disappeared... I'm assiming some neighbor poisoned it or otherwise effectively made it give up the ghost.

pregnant with worms said:

well, we haven't exactly been civil to animals throughout recorded time either.

Absolutely, but we're not generally exposed to it quite so much, and you're not confronted with grotesque examples of it whenever you glance at a history book.

Regarding the Nali, in Na Pali Haven, I found a way to avoid killing the guy that is standing under the big crate thing that you need to drop. I couldn't do it without frightening him though (so he ended up doing the whole "oobeda" routine, or whatever it is they say). Some of the guys in Nali Castle were rather hard to save though. :(

myk: Your comment reminds me of a sci-fi story I once read, where the aliens distinguished between Earth's inhabitants only in terms of the number of legs they had: two-legged people (humans), four-legged people (most mammals), six-legged people (insects), etc.

There's a German artist who wants to do an autopsy slap bang in the heart of Edinburgh simply because he thinks it's art. Sicko. I know this has nothng to do with killing humans but thought I'd bring it to your attention here.

im the same way except when it comes to monkeys i hate them too. i think its cuz they seem so much like us it doesnt bug me

Ninja_of_DooM said:

There's a German artist who wants to do an autopsy slap bang in the heart of Edinburgh simply because he thinks it's art. Sicko. I know this has nothng to do with killing humans but thought I'd bring it to your attention here.

He did it live on channel 4

In reality, I don't like to hurt anything..

but games, I don't care.
In turok, I would always shoot the dear and little grey things, not for the health, but just to shoot them. In harvest moon, the animals don't get hurt, no matter how many times you hoe them.

Originally I was just gonna ignore this thread...but I actually have something to tell now. Wow!

I happened to walk outside to take a piss, because my sister was (still is) taking forever in the bathroom. Just around back, there was something splashing in our swimming pool. So I walked up to see what it was, and damn, it was a squirrel. It had fallen into the pool from a tree branch above it and it was trapped, and was about to drown. So I pulled it out and set it free. Felt really good to do that in all reality. I'll probably put that down in my blog today :D

mystic said:

A lot of humans only seem to respect vicious animals, like sharks, birds of prey, poisonous snakes, big cats, wolves etc.

With all due respect, sharks are peaceful, and only go nuts during a feeding frenzy ( same as us on pizza, really.. once we taste cheese)

Birds or prey aren't either... They just do their killing to survive.

Poisonous snakes usually try to slink away rather then bite. Most accidents here are the fault of whoever stepped on them.

Big cats aren't vicious, they are just wild and usually seclusive. Same with wolves.

Frankly, in sheer viciousness, I would rate a hamster my friend had over a badger. The thing LUNGED at you.

Most inter-human violence is generated from a cynicism toward the human race. People hear about awful things that humans do all the time, start feeling contempt toward the entire human race, and then in an eventually desensitized state, easily commit crimes against other humans out of a state of broad pity.

Many of the most ruthless killers throughout history's wars were exceptionally caring towards animals. For example, many solders in the civil war were whipped for mistreating a horse.

However, serial killers tend to have a disproportionaty history of animal abuse.

Animal abusers maimed: 5,243

Exxon Executives shot on sight: 18

Lab scientists tortured then accidentally killed: 2 and a midget

Well, I found it hard to resist the temptation step on every rat I found in Deus Ex. On the other hand, I managed to finish Wolf 3D without a single dog fatality.

Oh hell. I usually even try to save the guys running around in blood.

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, I found it hard to resist the temptation step on every rat I found in Deus Ex. On the other hand, I managed to finish Wolf 3D without a single dog fatality.

Oh hell. I usually even try to save the guys running around in blood.

I was the same with the rats (cats and birds) in Deus Ex, but in Blood I'd always chase the whiny guys around with a pitch fork. It felt a little more deranged than just shooting them.

I've probably killed every conceivable thing I've run into in a video game. Not in real life though. I remember my brother killing a bird with a hose and I was quite upset. Killing animals and people sucks. Killing bugs doesn't bother me though. I'm pretty sure bugs are really more like little machines than animals. Every time a daddy long legs loses half it's legs and keeps on going like nothing happened I think of that.

As for that public autopsy, I can't see anything wrong with it. Operations, shows about mummification, and trauma are shown as regular daytime TV on lots of channels here. They're quite graphic about all of it too. People may like it for the shock value but it beats a lot of the crap they could be watching.

My girlfriend and I have our eyes on those exibits of his. Just waiting either for one to come here or for when we can afford to go find one. Looks neat.