Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grimm

Multiple Sound Question

How are the multiple sounds some things (like zombies and imps) have handled? Is multiple sound usage determined by thing type, frames, or something else? Does it matter which sound is selected under DeHackEd for multiple sound things or will they always play the same set? Are the multiple sound entries themselves linked together in any way? Now that I think about it, if you select a certain sound (like psdth2) under DeHackED, will the entire set be played? Hopefully that didn't come out crappy and you'll all get what I was trying to say. :P

Grimm said:

How are the multiple sounds some things (like zombies and imps) have handled? Is multiple sound usage determined by thing type, frames, or something else? Does it matter which sound is selected under DeHackEd for multiple sound things or will they always play the same set? Are the multiple sound entries themselves linked together in any way? Now that I think about it, if you select a certain sound (like psdth2) under DeHackED, will the entire set be played? Hopefully that didn't come out crappy and you'll all get what I was trying to say. :P

Unless you use ZDoom it is hard coded to the sound names. If you ask me a truly awful solution (as is too much stuff in Doom... :-( )
The following sounds are affected:

dsposit1-3
dspodth1-3
dsbgsit1-2
dsbgdth1-2

When you select one out of one group a random one will be picked.
In ZDoom you can freely define random sound groups so this limitation does not apply.

Well, not as bad as it could have been, at least. With it being coded into the sound names you can at least give different enemies random sounds by changing which sounds are played around. Hey! Does this mean if I were give the player one of the random sets that a random death sound would be played? I'd have to change some code pointers to make sure they're only the "play death sound" pointers, nothing specific, but it should work, right?