Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Monfriez

are there any WADs that make good use of ZDoom's Skybox feature?

I haven't see any WADs that do anything with the skybox out side of what was done in the ZDoom demo wad, there's nothing wrong with that but has anyone done anything creative or beautiful with the skybox?

TNT3 has a skybox. I'm sure there's others, but I don't remember any off hand that really use them to their full potential.

I once put a CyberDemon in a skybox for a laugh - the thing looked fucking huge

Monfriez said:

I haven't see any WADs that do anything with the skybox out side of what was done in the ZDoom demo wad, there's nothing wrong with that but has anyone done anything creative or beautiful with the skybox?

That demo wad was amazing. Zdoom rules.

man, i wish i could get zdoom to run on my system.

pregnant with worms said:

Do you, perchance, lack the Fmod.dll?

I also know that there is a piece of software that allows you to use a remote control at your computer that comes with the Soundblaster Audigy soundcards. That specific proggie hates a lot of fullscreen applications, so do yourself a favour and uninstall it.

most of the time skyboxes (not many maps have them right yet) are just used for a sky, though they allow more freedom than regular plain sky textures, so you can sort of have lightning and clouds moving overhead. The skybox in helm's deep turns from night to day for instance.

I've also used them as computer consoles before (kinda like that big screen in star trek), and there's a demo wad somewhere that uses them as teleport portals. Beyond that there's not too much else you can do with them it's really more of a neato eyecandy feature than anything else. still quite nice though.

Cyb said:

most of the time skyboxes (not many maps have them right yet) are just used for a sky, though they allow more freedom than regular plain sky textures, so you can sort of have lightning and clouds moving overhead. The skybox in helm's deep turns from night to day for instance.

I've also used them as computer consoles before (kinda like that big screen in star trek), and there's a demo wad somewhere that uses them as teleport portals. Beyond that there's not too much else you can do with them it's really more of a neato eyecandy feature than anything else. still quite nice though.

I bet with allot of work the skybox could also be used to create a large city
for example: I have had this idea to put all of Doom's first episode maps into one map and being able to see one level from anotehr while creating an illusion of a large distance between each level via skybox and ZDoom's other features

also can someone post a link to "helm's deep"? I'd love to see it

ToXiCFLUFF said:

What happens with it pregnant?

"W_GetNumForName: CONCHARS not found!"

i'm sure this is something retarded on my part somehow. but you know. i just want to play massmouth.

EDIT: also, little faith, i do indeed have an audigy (2 platinum), with a remote control. what's the name of the proggie of death that i should kill?

sorry for the double-post and sorry to keep bothering you guys with this, but:
i can play with the iwads, but every time i try to run a pwad it leaves me at the title screen with the console saying "W_GetNumForName: M_P Setup not found!"

Whoa... what SYSTEM do you mean?
I'm not a genius :D but that's what I would've done (I presume you've tried it already, but what the hell).
Extract all vanilla Doom files into a new directory, an then extract there only ZDoom files. Nothin more, nothin less.
When everything's clear drop some PWADS down there.

Dunno if that's any help.

sorry for the double-post and sorry to keep bothering you guys with this, but:
i can play with the iwads, but every time i try to run a pwad it leaves me at the title screen with the console saying "W_GetNumForName: M_P Setup not found!"

You should be able to just drag and drop the PWAD onto zdoom.exe.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

You should be able to just drag and drop the PWAD onto zdoom.exe.

no, i can run the wads up until the title screen for the game appears, at which time the console stops displaying all the shit it's doing to initialize the engine and whatnot and leaves me with the 'M_P Setup' message. i can't get a menu or anything, so i'm stuck there until i type 'exit' to quit the program.

that's really weird, the only thing I can think of is you're trying to run pwads as iwads. the command line for running a pwad should go like this (you can type this in a run box or a cmd.exe window):

zdoom.exe -file pwad.wad

at which point a menu will come up listing all your iwads (if there's more than one) allowing you to pick between them. You can always cut out the menu with:

zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file pwad.wad

also make sure zdoom knows where your iwad(s) are and than they aren't damaged in any way.

also you may want to try deleting zdoom.cfg (or zdoom-username.cfg if you use win2k/xp) in case it has some older crap in there from a previous version or something that's screwing with zdoom

alright. i've gotten it working now. it turns out that the launcher i was using just doesn't handle zdoom things correctly somehow. i'll just use the command line. thanks a bunch.

Cyb said:

You can also use them to have two skys in the same map (with the 'use second sky' sector property), and also to rotate skys so that certain features (eg. a building that is also a part of the map) face in different directions in different parts of the map or in other maps.

alright. i've gotten it working now. it turns out that the launcher i was using just doesn't handle zdoom things correctly somehow. i'll just use the command line. thanks a bunch.

Oh, no wonder. Yeah the old zdoom launcher doesnt work properly with anything past 1.23 (?)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

You can also use them to have two skys in the same map (with the 'use second sky' sector property), and also to rotate skys so that certain features (eg. a building that is also a part of the map) face in different directions in different parts of the map or in other maps.

You can actually do all that without a skybox. ZDoom supports MBF's sky transfer specials which are rather versatile if you know how to use them.

Back on topic, I haven't seen many good skybox examples. Most are just a square with some ugly mountains and an ugly flat as sky. Most normal skies look better... :-(

Graf Zahl said:

Back on topic, I haven't seen many good skybox examples. Most are just a square with some ugly mountains and an ugly flat as sky. Most normal skies look better... :-(

Well I think the waggle ceiling sky in massm2 was pretty cool.

I have an ultra-rare incomplete version of DSV4 for ZDoom that uses skyboxes for scrolling clouds and flame skies :P Well, it might aswell be complete. 25 maps and a temporary ending map (map25).