Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Tran

Question

I saw the doom 2 monsters. HOw did Id Software artists make the monsters? Did they use a Paint Program to draw them or they used a 3d modelling program to draw them? The enemies look likee models then turned into sprites.

They were created using a lot of methods. Hand drawn, scanned clay models and latex and metal models. They also used clay and mannequins. Gregor Punchatz was contacted to create the Spider Mastermind model.

Also, the chainsaw belonged to Tom Hall's girlfriend and the shotgun is a toy. The hands were, AFAIK, Kevin Cloud's.

Fuzzy Pumper Palette Shop, a program created by Carmack would capture live video images and convert them to graphic files on a PC. Then the artists woud load them, edit, resize and all that wacky crap.

They didnt use 3d modelling software because there werent 3d games at the time of coarse. They probably used a program that they made thereselves to make the sprites. Similar to the deepsea graphics editor.

EDIT: Since BBG mentioned the chainsaw, you can also find a pic of the model on the rome.ro site.

Andy Tran said:

Which one is right? 3d modelling first or using a paint program to make the sprites?

Depends if you're better at 3d modelling or direct painting. Drawing with a pen then scanning can be a good option too.
Also, you should think of the feel you want your sprites to have in order to choose the most suitable solution.

That's not what he meant. He's asking if id "3d modelled" the monsters first or not. And that depends on what he means by 3D models. They had models alright, but not what most people mean by 3D models nowadays. Just like BBG said, they used REAL models. They did NOT use any wireframe/polygon stuff like in modern games, though. It was all video capture.

So people make their doom 2 enemies by using 3d modelling program and putting the models as sprites in wintex?

Andy Tran said:

So people make their doom 2 enemies by using 3d modelling program and putting the models as sprites in wintex?

rofl. Dude, Wintex wasn't created then. AFAIK, they used LUMPY or some shit to put the files in a .wad. I dunno.

Oh wait, I get what you mean. No, most people make sprites from scratch or modify via their favorite program. ID didn't have to do the sprites from scratch, they used REAL MODELS. Like, you can HOLD THESE MODELS IN YOUR HAND. Got it? :-)

is there a pic of the original Spidermastermaind model? Or other than the Baron at Romero's web site?

Didn't they use, like, clay or rubber models of their monsters (uncolored) and colored them after they were scanned in, in the various positions they had to act in the game...?

I remember hearing something like that, I just can't remember when and from who...