What's your Favorite NIN EP?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite NIN EP?

• Broken
    • Fixed
    • Further Down the Spiral
    • Things Falling Apart

Whats your favorite NIN EP?

Most of them thave I've heard aren't too great, however, Further Down the Spiral would probably have to be my favorite. The song itself, Further Down the Spiral alone is worth it, not to mention all the songs by Aphex Twins on it.

if i recall, there's only the one 'remix' by aphex twin.

pregnant with worms said:

if i recall, there's only the one 'remix' by aphex twin.

You have absolutely succeeded in missing the entire point of this thread, congratulations.

zarcyb said:

I don't like NIN.

Then why bother reading - let alone posting on - this thread? :O

I had considered putting Still on here, but I didn't think it qualified much as an remix type of album like the others. Most of the performances as you know (well, dn anyway), were just unplugged versions of older songs, with the acception of Gone,Still , All That Could Have Been, Persistence of Loss, All That Could Have Been, and Leaving Hope.

Until here recently I always thought Broken was an LP. Meh. I don't see how it's an EP, ohwell.

Melfice said:

I don't see how it's an EP.

6 tracks.

There isn't really an official amount of tracks or length of time that qualifies a recording as an EP, though most EPs are 3-7 tracks and 20-40 minutes. Usually the band decides to call it an EP or not, but most consider that amount of tracks or length to be an EP. Basically, it's not a full album, although it's not an incomplete record either. In that regard, Further Down and Things Falling Apart are actually LPs.

I don't care for any NIN originals, but a lot of times a remixer can bring a track to its true potential. March of the Pigs is probably my favorite disc overall, though mainly just for the first Reptile remix. Extended MotP is OK too, especially since the mix was corrected. I like the Egyptian themes Coil reworked Closer with, so Closer disc 1 comes in next (I hate disc 2). Both versions of Further Down had some OK hits, but they also had some major misses so I wouldn't put either on a favorites list. I don't like Things Falling Apart; it sounded the The Fragile: Middle. It didn't add anything new to the NIN repertoire.

Oh, and the Porter Ricks version of TDTWWA is the absolute top-notch standard for remixes, bar-none.

I disagree. Any remix of a NIN song distorts the metaphors and complex interactions of the original songs. The Porter Ricks mix is a prime example.

The Day the World Went Away is the second song on the fragile, and depicts the hopeless inevitability of failure. Whist the first half of the song is mostly melodic, the intricate building of something pure from lies, the second half (the Nah Nah Nahs to the unfamiliar) is a depiction of the truth revealed and the lies falling apart. The visual I have of this is a castle of ice melting, breaking apart and falling back into the sea.

This is echoed again in The Fragile (I won't let you fall apart) and forms the base of the entire album when the cycle repeats itself from The Way out is Through onwards. In fact, there are echoes of this song all the way through the album if you know where to look.

The Porter Ricks mix utterly ignores this in favor of maintaining a rather dull and repetitive static state, a complete contradiction of the original nature of the song and thus ensuring it's place in my list of Complete Crap remixes.

I thought the sarcasm of my closing statement would be obvious to anyone who heard the Porter Ricks mix :P

I agree with dn though. Remixes usualy take the meaning out of the song. Probably the two best remix CDs ever are Das Ich's re_Laborat, and Skinny Puppy's Remix Dys Temper, and the reason those tracks are so good is that either they left the original feel in, they added their own meanings, or they at least did something really cool with the song which wasn't there before. In retrospect, most of the NIN remixes are pretty bland and repetative. The only real exceptions are the tracks from Further Down the Spiral, and some from a few of the other CDs.

Lüt said:

I thought the sarcasm of my closing statement would be obvious to anyone who heard the Porter Ricks mix :P

Heh, whoops, you caught me in serious mode.

Actualy, to give it some credit it had 8 real tracks, not 6.

Though I kinda like Pigface's version of Suck better.

Melfice said:

You have absolutely succeeded in missing the entire point of this thread, congratulations.

i was just trying to get an agreeable figure on richard d. james' contribution(s) to the cd. you mentioned 'all the songs' he did for it, but i only remember one track. i was just responding to something you said that my memory differed on.

pregnant with worms said:

i was just trying to get an agreeable figure on richard d. james' contribution(s) to the cd. you mentioned 'all the songs' he did for it, but i only remember one track. i was just responding to something you said that my memory differed on.

There were actualy 1 and a half songs by him. But still, thats like saying 'all the songs' done by Coil, or 'all the songs' Dave Navarro played on.

On second thought, after looking at the credits, maybe you can say 'all the songs' done by Coil. There are at last 4 remixes on there by them. o_O

the_Danarchist said:

There were actualy 1 and a half songs by him. But still, thats like saying 'all the songs' done by Coil, or 'all the songs' Dave Navarro played on.

On second thought, after looking at the credits, maybe you can say 'all the songs' done by Coil. There are at last 4 remixes on there by them. o_O

alright. thank you. my mind is now at ease.