Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Need help finding couple of NES games based on vague descriptions...

There are 2 NES games that I haven't seen or played in about a decade. I have no idea what their names are, but that's all I want to find out. I hope these ring a bell to someone...

1) I believe this was an old overhead 2D shooter RPG of sorts. I'm not sure what genre. But I'm pretty sure it had a 2-player simultaneous mode, and there's one "stage" that really stands out in my mind. The exits in the levels are floor tiles with the squished word "EXIT" printed on them in black and white. You exit by standing on the tile, I believe. And in one particular stage, there are many, many fake exits. The goal of the level, of course, is to find the right one. This is all I know.

2) I'm looking for an old motorbike game that is similar in gameplay to space-invaders. It's a motorbike-racer-shooter game. It's laid out in an overhead fashion, travelling toward the upper part of the screen (as opposed to left/right). You advance through the stages, travel across a map, fend off enemies with lasers or something, and maybe even perform some jumps. I think it has a variety of settings, such as city, desert, and I believe nighttime city.

First one is Gauntlet without any doubt.

Second one may be Spy Hunter, but that's pushing your description a bit.

Most likely, it was Gauntlet 2 you played. The first one is still alright but 2 is much better and four player.

No idea what that second game is.

The first one is Gauntlet 2, which is a kind of weaker version of the first Gauntlet, except it has around 105 levels. The first 5 remain the same everytime you play, but the other 100 are put in a random shuffle. It also has 4 player capability but no background music.

The only thing that comes to mind on the second game is Super Spy Hunter, which is a sequel of the first one with more features. The first Spy Hunter didn't have any city-themed stages afaik, but SSH does.

Okay, so Gauntlet or Gauntlet 2? The key thing to remember here is the many-fake-exits level. That's what I'm talking about. By the way, I never played game #1. I saw it at a friend's house. It was game #2 that I played and almost beat.

Thanks for the help.

*BING!* Now that you mention it, I do remember there being no music in "Gauntlet" if that's what it's called. Walking around looking for the right exit, silently. Very vague memory.

Now someone help me find MY game.. been lookin for years.. yes literal years. Have no idea on if it's nes or snes... it's a side scroller.. kinda serious... midieval.. uh.. you have a screen you goto and you can try to use magic... but I recall trying to enter a password or something to try magic with... and getting killed. Somewhere in it's preview it shows him battling an ogre in a castle with funky music... and finally.. when you die, it says ' Alas, your quest is over."

Aaaarrrrggghhhh... I have an idea what you may be talking about, but I can't remember the name. Dammiiiiittt...

It sounds a little like Actraiser 2 (although I like the first one better).

Nope! The name of the game you're talking about is "Magician", and it was one of the hardest games that ever came out on the NES. I have the ROM and the cartridge, and if you'd like to confirm, can send you the ROM though of course you will have to delete it after 24 hours... :winks:

Game #1 was indeed Gauntlet 2. Thanks for the help on that one.

But I'm still not sure about game #2. Spy Hunter and Super Spy Hunter seem very much like the game, but still not quite the same. Seems pretty hard, and I don't remember constantly crashing into walls. It was DEFINITELY not Mach Rider.