Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schneelocke

First official Doom version?

Hi,

can anyone knowledgeable tell me what the first officially released Doom version was (that is, not counting the alpha and PR versions)? Most sources seem to say that it was 1.0; however, my own personal memory insists that it was 0.9, but I have been unable to find any evidence for that.

Thanks, guys. :)

From the Doom FAQ by Hank Leukart (December 10, 1994 EST: Anniversary Edition):

Seven different versions of DOOM have been released: v1.0 (which has the v0.99 operating system), v1.1, v1.2, v1.4, v1.5, v1.6, and v1.666. Version 1.0 was the initial December 10th, 1993 release. Version 1.1 was the first upgrade of DOOM, released on December 16th, 1993. Although this version fixed many bugs and compatibility problems, it introduced many new ones. Version 1.2, released on February 17th, added modem play, Nightmare mode, and better use of networks, but again introduced many new bugs. v1.4 of DOOM was a Beta version released exclusively on the Internet, and was only used for finding bugs before the pending v1.5 release. v1.5 followed, which again was released as an Internet Beta version to find bugs for the pending v1.6. v1.6 was then released as another Beta, and finally v1.666 was released in early September which fixed some modem play problems and other miscellaneous sound code and control bugs.

Well, in the same way that it also added the Mancubus, the Super Shotgun, the animations for the SLIME flats and lots of other stuff like that.

Not really, because none of those were actually used in-game, whereas fast doors were (well, in Ultimate Doom anyway).

I thought it was ultimate doom which added fast doors. It's the only place in the original doom where you'll find them. I can't remember what version number the original release of Ultimate doom was though. I thought it was above 1.666 though ?

Yeah, but you can make a DOOM PWAD using DOOM v1.666 and use fast doors... I'm not totally sure if people discovered this fact before The Ultimate DOOM was released, though.

The Ultimate Doom was version 1.9, and it has all the neat stuff the Doom 2 EXE has, minus Doom 2 thing types.

As the Ultimate DOOM exec is several months younger than DOOM2's exec, it has all that and more. Move it into your DOOM2 dir, run it and see for yourself.

Grimm said:

The Ultimate Doom was version 1.9, and it has all the neat stuff the Doom 2 EXE has, minus Doom 2 thing types.

Not quite correct. All the decoration objects were fully working and by changing their editor numbers with Dehacked it was even possible to spawn the new monsters! (They were only checked by editor number!) The only things that refused to work were the Megasphere and the SSG. Their functionality was hard coded to Doom2.