Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Fun with vintage Doom

I just downloaded and used the patch to downgrade Ultimate Doom v1.9 to Doom v1.1. I then went to E1M8 and got a Baron to stand in place clawing himself to death. I've had Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 as long as I've had a computer, but it was fun to mess around with the shareware v1.2 for funny bugs like this. V1.1 is so old that it doesn't have the -warp parameter (only -episode) or nightmare skill. And like 1.2, there's several unused sprites in the IWAD. Actually there is one unused sprite still in Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

Sure, the alphas, betas, press-release, and MBF's PR emulation are great but there's only a few levels to play through and some versions aren't really much of a playable game with just statues of enemies.

V1.1 used -wart instead for some odd, demented reason.

Later versions, of course, have this referring to some odd path on your computer.

Set up those paths, folks, and see what it does!

I got a Baron pissed at himself and another Baron pissed at him, so the other Baron helped him claw himself to death even faster.

I thought monsters of the same type couldn't hurt each other even if they wanted... well, I haven't played 1.1 in a looong time.

If an enemy blows up barrels around another enemy of the same type, the hurt one might go for revenge. Their fireballs won't do any damage to each other (which is pretty funny) but up close their scratch/bite (including a Caco's silent bite) will. The target enemy won't respond to the fireballs hitting him but will fight back when they actually get damaged by a claw or bite. This might still work in newer versions of Doom but I very much doubt directly self inflicted suicide will.

It does Gokuma, I recently played E1M8 and got the barons to fight eachother...oh and a side note, why cant Cybie rockets hurt another Cybie? I mean your rockets can,why can't theirs

It does Gokuma, I recently played E1M8 and got the barons to fight eachother...oh and a side note, why cant Cybie rockets hurt another Cybie? I mean your rockets can,why can't theirs

easy. explosion damage doesn't effect them, direct damage does.

easy. explosion damage doesn't effect them, direct damage does.

but don't their rockets cause any direct damage?

An enemy's projectiles don't hurt another enemy of the same type like I said with the Barons. They can only hurt each other by blowing up barrels (which Cybers are immune to) and clawing or biting.