Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xit-vono

heretic e3m8

There was a post earlier about how to beat that level, but I can't find it. My problem is I can't seem to do enough damage to disparil quickly enough and the wizards get me.

Man, D'Sparil's like the easiest boss in any game besides Hexen's. (Only if you have the mage though.) Still, he's a wuss. Just pick up the items in his arena and kick his ass.

Well... OK, when you teleport to his arena, you're on top of a big pitchfork. I'm not sure of the exact locations, but there is a ring of invincibility and a tome of power that you can grab right away, along with a phoenix rod. He has two phases of life, the first riding his serpent and the second just roaming around. You should be able to either get him off his serpent with one ring of invincibily and one tome of power and two or three flame blasts from the phoenix rod, or kill him when he's walking around. The thing is that when he's walking around in his second phase of existence, he can teleport, and sometimes far enough away that it will take 5 second to get to him. It's best to use the powered-up phoenix rod and ring of invincibility combo to get him off the serpent almost immediately. He does conjure up those disciples, but hardly ever enough to cause any problems. They all die when he dies anyways, so if you're good at avoiding projectiles and don't want to waste the ammo, you don't have to kill them.

Kill his serpant form with the phoenix rod or something, and when the serpant is dead and it's just D'Sparil, use a tome of power, a ring of invulnerability, and blast away with the Hellstaff. The first time I killed him, I had about 14 of those wizards in the arena, so stop whining about them.

Those strategies aren't working for me. Are you sure it's a good idea to use the hellstaff/tome combination? Everytime I attack him with it he usually teleports out of the way before I can hit him and if I do hit him, the rain doesn't work because he teleports quickly. Is there an advantage to getting him off the serpent quickly, because i could kill him in phase 1 with only the elvenwand and enough ammo. I don't see the point of wasting the invuln there. I have found out that a powered up dragonclaw works best for me, but I always run out of ammo for that.

Here: LUTHE3M8.LMP

My first take. I missed like all the phoenix rod shots I fired at him, half the time I used the tomes of power I didn't even hit him, and I didn't even use an invuln. It's a first-take, coulda done way better, but you see how easy he is.

Are you sure it's a good idea to use the hellstaff/tome combination?

No, it's not. It helps if you can't aim, since those powered-up shots do deal out a fair amount of damage on their own, and they have slight homing capabilities too. But since there's no shortage of ammo, it really doesn't make a difference.

Are you sure it's a good idea to use the hellstaff/tome combination?

No, it's not. It helps if you can't aim, since those powered-up shots do deal out a fair amount of damage on their own, and they have slight homing capabilities too. But since there's no shortage of ammo, it really doesn't make a difference.

Well that's how I usually beat him, and it works just dandy, so...

What skill level was that? I always play on black plague, and it looks like he teleports a lot more on black plague. I think on black plague, that you get 3/2 more ammo or something, because the arrows give me 7, but in your demo they only gave you 5 shots.

Alright, here, have a black plague demo: sd_h38_5.lmp

As you can see, I really didn't have much of an idea what I was doing in terms of which weapons to use or when to use stuff, but, it's only a first-take. So, just pull out whatever weapon you feel like and fire away. I stuck to Hellstaff most of the time after he fell off the serpent. If you can get in close on him with the invuln and powered Phoenix Rod near the end of his lifespan you can cause some major damage. I suggest it at the end, because that's when he teleports most and will be hardest to hit with conventional weapons (and would be almost instant death to run up to him and use the powered-up Phoenix Rod without invulnerability).

well, I still don't think it looks that easy, and I tried it a couple of times with your methods and died both times. I think you got a little bit lucky with the phoenix/invuln combo when disparil kept teleporting to the same place. Certainly e2m8 is much easier.

I think you got a little bit lucky with the phoenix/invuln combo when disparil kept teleporting to the same place.

Well, I guess so, but the thing with him it that once you get him caught in that line of fire from the Phoenix Rod, there's at least a 90% chance that he isn't going anywhere until you let up. In fact I was surprised he teleported twice when I was using that, usually you can nail him for the whole 30 seconds that the power-up lasts and kill him without any trouble at all. Would probably be even easier if I didn't use the first tome of power in the intro/teleport scene before going to his arena. But usually if you let him live too long, you're screwed. He casts so many disciples after about 5 or 6 minutes that everything starts disappearing, including him.

HOLY SHIT, nice demos there Lüt. =)

I always made it to him with a Firemace... and I would use that with a Tome of Power to get him real good after I crossbowed his ass off of that serpent.

I never really had a problem with that guy... but doing E2M8 on Black Plague.... that took me too long to get right. Too many Maulotaurs... =(

At least it got me ready for E5M8... which is a cakewalk now.

Would you believe, I only played my first Black Plague game a few hours ago? :P

I ran through Episode 1. I don't know why I've never tried it before. I gotta do the other 4 soon. The thing where you get 150% ammo in Black Plague rules :)

Yeah... but how that last demo started... I couldn't tell... do enemies respawn or are they just swift? If they're just on PCP I could do that too... but I fucking HATE monster respawning. I want things I kill to STAY DEAD.

No respawning. I wouldn't have played if they respawn - regardless of what you do, you'll run out of ammo and there will still be hordes of monsters roaming. That's where Heretic and Hexen's Skill 5 rules, there's none of that respawning crap. Makes the game impossible.

Still, I actually came close to dying a few times on Episode 1 :-O Episode 4 should be pretty wild, I have a hard enough time with that first map on Skill 4. The rest of the levels I can warp to from scratch and beat easily, but Map1... heh, no chance. Same with E5M1, the hardest map of the episode to start from scratch. I remember how hard E4M2 was the first time I played it - that's gonna be a nightmare on Skill 5 :|

That's pretty cool... I'll have to give Heretic some more playtime for sure!

What I really want to know is... you can do E5M8 right? That showdown with a gaggle of Maulotaurs? I don't think I've ever done that on Black Plague... it should be... interesting... what with those streams of fire rushing you at 9800 mph.

Fucked up? Did you forget some of your English? I think the correct way to describe it would be thus:

TOTALLY AND UTTERLY FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE

Christ on ice, that game was hard enough on the default difficulty!

What I really want to know is... you can do E5M8 right? That showdown with a gaggle of Maulotaurs?

You know what? You'll have to wait. I started a demo, thing were cool, they were all dying, then "MS-DOS Prompt: This program has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down." So, fuck it, right after I hang Bill Gates with his spine I'll try again.

Fuck it. I can't record a demo. I tried 6 times. The game crashed on totally random occasions each time. I had this problem before when recording demos for people beta testing my maps, Heretic just can't record demos. I'm surprised each of my E3M8 tries worked without a crash. Piece of shit, you'd wonder if they test these engines before releasing them. I may try JHeretic next.

I may try JHeretic next.

OK, get it here: sd_h58_5.lmp

I recorded it with JHeretic. JHeretic is such a good program that it can't play this demo back. (Says it can't find the file (stupid shit)). I tried it in Heretic, but again the playback has it's random crashes. It was in-sync though. Anyways, there is the complete demo. I gotta say, it kinda sucked - naturally my worst one is the one that records fine. The first few times I killed two maulotaurs with the invulvernability and power tome, this time I didn't even get one. My hit percentage sucked too. I guess I was just pissed off that it was the 11th take I did. If anybody can find a source port that'll view the damn thing, please let me know.

e4m1 is really hard on black-plague, but I can do it! You have to be good at killing those iron liches at a distance, and you have to save ammo during most of the level. One trick I do is getting the stairs in the way so their attacks get stuck and I just kill them with elvenwand/dragon claw. I did a lot of stick fighting against those non-shooting monsters. Sorry I don't know what they are called.

I tried it in Heretic, but again the playback has it's random crashes. It was in-sync though.

Yes, in sync but quite crashy. It died about half way through the mess for me. =(

The first few times I killed two maulotaurs with the invulvernability and power tome, this time I didn't even get one.

Fuck, really? I was never able to do that. =P

Those bastards always took one hell of a beating for me.

My hit percentage sucked too.

You're not kidding, you should buy an Intellimouse so you can spin 24235 times in one eighth of a second like me. =)

I guess I was just pissed off that it was the 11th take I did. If anybody can find a source port that'll view the damn thing, please let me know.

Yeah that'd be nice. Kickass demo though, from what I got to see of it.

Heretic's demo support is very very buggy. It's always been that way. I guess that explains the lack of available lmps. Sometimes it works and other times not. There's no pattern to the crashes. I was actually surprised you were able to record demos of E3M8. Twice no less!

I tried it in Heretic, but again the playback has it's random crashes. It was in-sync though.

Yes, in sync but quite crashy. It died about half way through the mess for me. =(

Too bad JHeretic can't play the demos it records... maybe the v1.0 will, although I think he said he would be abandoning old demo support... either way; F*!@$) F)+(# A) !)I A))A BI$)#( A) #$I F)($ F!#%@!!!!

The first few times I killed two maulotaurs with the invulvernability and power tome, this time I didn't even get one.

Fuck, really? I was never able to do that. =P

Those bastards always took one hell of a beating for me.

They usually did for me too. I try to get along a wall, then when they crowd me in, they can't push me anywhere. So unless the one I'm flaming manages to wander away (they usually never do), he's dead meat.

My hit percentage sucked too.

You're not kidding, you should buy an Intellimouse so you can spin 24235 times in one eighth of a second like me. =)

ACTUALLY, THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

I guess I was just pissed off that it was the 11th take I did. If anybody can find a source port that'll view the damn thing, please let me know.

Yeah that'd be nice. Kickass demo though, from what I got to see of it.

Heh, even though it kinda sucked... I didn't get hit once except for the few times in the initial mess where the invuln wore out. JHeretic doesn't give you a warning that it's wearing out, it just suddenly disappears and you realize you have like 35% health.

Anyways, onto Episode 2 now :)

Would be cool with a compet-n for heretic, no? :) But that would require a sourceport that doesn't add a lotta bull and has stable demos. There's no boom for heretic, is it?

There's no boom for heretic, is it?

Actually, I think Legacy supports Heretic. I shoulda thought of that first, since not everybody can even run JHeretic.

Legacy might be good, but does it alter the game too much? There's mlook in heretic as far as i know, but no jumping (?).