Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

missing key bug in Evilution level 31

I know that there's a bug with a missing yellow key (I think), and I have plans to try to beat Evilution without cheats. I don't have access to the patch on the other computer on which I play Doom, and I really don't want to let idkfa ruin the game.

I do have a level editor though; can anyone please tell me where to put the key?

Thanks in advance.

Get the official patch here. Just add that wad to your command line. (Or is there something physically preventing you from getting that file onto the computer?)

that's the most ridiculous error ever. if a released megawad was missing a key in one of the maps it would pretty damn bad, but this was a mod that was done, and then looked over and modified by id, and somehow that level and map32 remained impossible O_O is there a story behind that?

There is nothing wrong with map32.

The missing key in map31 is flagged as a multiplayer only item.

If you want to fix it with an editor simply remove that flag from it.

Grogglogobofink said:

that's the most ridiculous error ever. if a released megawad was missing a key in one of the maps it would pretty damn bad, but this was a mod that was done, and then looked over and modified by id, and somehow that level and map32 remained impossible O_O is there a story behind that?

Yes, there is a story. According to Ty Halderman, a beta of the map somehow slipped into the final version of the WAD, obviously implying that whoever did the final compile was to blame. As id never bothered to correct - or even acknowledge - the error, I have little trouble thinking that the fsck-up was their part, not Team TNT's.

The latest repackaging of DOOM games, called Collector Edition, features the same exact TNT.WAD as the original Final DOOM CDROM and (though the file is dates Sep 6 2001). Neither the accompanying README nor Activision's support site even mention the missing Yellow Key.

Contrary to the plausible deduction "missing key -> no exit", it's possible to finish the level without it and exit to either Carribean (map32) or Deepest Reaches (map16). See the Compet-N site for details.

Little Faith said:

The missing key in map31 is flagged as a multiplayer only item.

If you want to fix it with an editor simply remove that flag from it.

Unfortunately, the missing Yellow key is only one of map31's problems. There is also an error in the reject table that results in a Sarge getting stuck in a wall in the hall past the throne chamber. More of a cosmetic problem, but doubly annoying because without these two bugs it would have been one hell of a beautiful level. <sigh>

you can extract the data from the patch an insert it on TNT.wad, just be careful, if you do it bad, TNT will be considered as a pwad, and each time you run it the "this version of DOOM has been modified.. blah blah" text will be displayed.